Orioles Acquire Miguel Castro Designate Gunkel

weams

http://www.purplerow.com/2016/1/25/10821706/colorado-rockies-prospect-miguel-castro-mlb-news-prospects-rankings-reliever

The 6’5 right-handed hurler from the Dominican Republic is still just 22 years old and is oozing with upside. His numbers in 2016 with the Rockies won’t blow you away, in fact they’re pretty underwhelming. He finished the year with 14.2 innings pitched, allowing 18 hits, 3 home runs and 10 earned runs with 12 strikeouts. But it’s a small sample size, and weighing only 190 lbs, Castro has a natural throwing motion with his tall and lean build.

Castro’s achilles heel to this point of his career has been his control, but he has also been set back multiple times due to recurring injuries. Castro’s fastball consistently lies in the 95-100 mph range, and he is still capable of throwing even a little harder. However, the control must be established on a consistent basis, and if he can establish one or two off-speed pitches, he can rely on the fastball less frequently, and simply blow by hitters with the heat.

The talent has always been there for him, but so have the expectations. Castro actually made his debut in 2015 with the Toronto Blue Jays when he was just 20 years old. The Blue Jays developed Castro as a reliever and a starter in the minors, but he entered MLB as a reliever when the Blue Jays had a weak bullpen with no established closer.

Castro has time to develop into a larger and more important role. He has all the ingredients to be a shut-down setup man or closer in the long run.

http://bsndenver.com/colorado-rockies-top-25-under-25-no-16-miguel-castro/

Dan has been working the roster over like crazy for the last two months -- Ynoa, Nuno, Gentry, Bleier, Bourn (add and cut)*, Janish,* P. Alvarez,* Asher, Faulkner and Castro.

* minor league deal

That's 7 guys on our 40-man roster who weren't here 60 days ago, 6 of whom are pitchers.   Plus several former major leaguers signed to minor league deals who could help us this year.    You have to hand it to Duquette, he never rests.   

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Dan has been working the roster over like crazy for the last two months -- Ynoa, Nuno, Gentry, Bleier, Bourn (add and cut)*, Janish,* P. Alvarez,* Asher, Faulkner and Castro.

* minor league deal

That's 7 guys on our 40-man roster who weren't here 60 days ago, 6 of whom are pitchers.   Plus several former major leaguers signed to minor league deals who could help us this year.    You have to hand it to Duquette, he never rests.   

Where MacPhail is the "Percolator", Duquette is the "Tinkerer".  

• Upvote 2

I don't know how good any of these guys are or ever will be, but Dan sure has been busy bringing in new arms. If only a few of them ever amount to anything, that's a positive. And maybe this is an indication of just how poor the pitching prospects in the upper minors were.

Just now, Moondoggie said:

I don't know how good any of these guys are or ever will be, but Dan sure has been busy bringing in new arms. If only a few of them ever amount to anything, that's a positive. And maybe this is an indication of just how poor the pitching prospects in the upper minors were.

I never understood the enthusiasm folks showed for Gunkle.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I never understood the enthusiasm folks showed for Gunkle.

Me either. In fact, once Bundy was up for good I wasn't too excited about anybody. Seems like there are a couple of guys in the lower minors and hopefully Harvey can get healthy.

7 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

Yeah, it's clearly a sign that several teams have pitching depth that Dan thinks is better than ours, which is hardly surprising.   So far, he's been able to add guys without subtracting much of what we already had, which enhances our depth considerably.    

• Upvote 2