Walkoffs since the last Walkoff Walk

Filmstudy

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Amazing, only two sac flies. How does that compare to the usual % of runs scored by sac fly?

So far this year, about 5% of all runs in the AL have come via a sac fly.   So I'd guess in 72 walk offs you'd expect to see 3-4 sac flies rather than 2.    

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So far this year, about 5% of all runs in the AL have come via a sac fly.   So I'd guess in 72 walk offs you'd expect to see 3-4 sac flies rather than 2.    

I would maybe even expect a little bump due to the situational strategy dictating more "play for one run" moves such as sacrifice bunts, putting in pinch runner, etc.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I would maybe even expect a little bump due to the situational strategy dictating more "play for one run" moves such as sacrifice bunts, putting in pinch runner, etc.

It's a theory.   I guess you'd have to look at a list of all walk-offs from all teams to see if that holds true.    I wonder where filmstudy got his data from?

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Can anyone explain to me why they were playing the infield in with one out and the bases loaded against Schoop? He is not Billy Hamilton.

I think it was more about the guy on third than Schoop. They were going for the win and did not want to concede the tying run. That said, you could get out of it with a double play, so I would have thought the middle guys would be at double play depth. 

In the AL 2013 through 2016 there have been:

Runs: 42,307

SF:  2,613

That's 6.18%, while the Orioles have had just 2 in the last 74 walkoffs.  The Orioles walkoff-inning percentage is probably just a shade above 2% when you figure in multi-RBI hits for the walkoff.  That percentage is low, particularly since many offensive strategies are aimed at getting the winning run to 3rd with fewer than 2 outs.  That is offset by the fact outfielders don't always pursue a deep fly when the winning run is obviously going to score.  

1 hour ago, BMann said:

A related question: When is the last time the O's won an extra inning game after falling behind in the top of the inning? It can only happen at home, obviously, but I'm curious how rare that is.

It happened last on 4/25/15 when David Lough hit a solo HR to beat the Red Sox 5-4.  The Orioles inning went (oddly):

Jones: Triple (in Camden Yards, no less)

Davis: SF

Lough: HR

All of that came after the Red Sox took the lead in the top of the 10th on a Bogaerts solo HR.

1 hour ago, BMann said:

o

A related question: When is the last time the Orioles won an extra inning game after falling behind in the top of the inning? It can only happen at home, obviously, but I'm curious how rare that is.

o

o

Almost 2 years to the day from last night's game.

April 25th of 2015, against the Red Sox.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201504250.shtml

o

10 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I had the tape rolling for Reimold's walk-off HR last year vs. Indians on a Sunday. His last hurrah, I suppose.

We were supposed to have left early due to a court date on Monday, but I said screw it, let's watch baseball (and I still won the case). 

Edit. If I'm not mistaken, one of those Davis walk offs was an OH Night, a Saturday afternoon in 2015. Was the day I met Weams, Scott and several others. Great day. Was against the A's. I think the night before, Manny walked it off in the 13th inning. We were driving and heard that one on the radio. I think that's right. 

I was there for that game.  Fun moment.

1 hour ago, Filmstudy said:

In the AL 2013 through 2016 there have been:

Runs: 42,307

SF:  2,613

That's 6.18%, while the Orioles have had just 2 in the last 74 walkoffs.  The Orioles walkoff-inning percentage is probably just a shade above 2% when you figure in multi-RBI hits for the walkoff.  That percentage is low, particularly since many offensive strategies are aimed at getting the winning run to 3rd with fewer than 2 outs.  That is offset by the fact outfielders don't always pursue a deep fly when the winning run is obviously going to score.  

Does the batter record a run on the defensive indifference in such a case?

46 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

It happened last on 4/25/15 when David Lough hit a solo HR to beat the Red Sox 5-4.  The Orioles inning went (oddly):

Jones: Triple (in Camden Yards, no less)

Davis: SF

Lough: HR

All of that came after the Red Sox took the lead in the top of the 10th on a Bogaerts solo HR.

I was at that game. It was the same night that the fans were "locked" into the stadium for an inning or two because of the riots outside. At least the Orioles gave their fans a dramatic ending while they were trapped.

Archived