Could this be Buck's best Orioles team?

Frobby

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/9/2017 at 11:35 PM, Frobby said:

I'm starting to think this team could be as good or better than the 2014 squad.    The pieces of this team really fit together well.    The whole seems greater than the sum of the parts.     22-10 despite a murderous early schedule.   And we don't really have many guys playing over their heads.   

I think it still comes down to how our starting pitching holds up over 162 games.     The last few games have been really encouraging, but there are 130 to go.   

The Orioles are 3-10 since this post. We now know who jinxed this team! lol

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles are 3-10 since this post. We now know who jinxed this team! lol

It is always thus.    Perhaps I'll start a thread about whether this is Buck's worst team, or the worst team in the history of the world, or something like that.    

I think the current 25-20 record is probably a pretty fair reflection of the team's true talent.    I'm not panicked at all, but I am disappointed that we've dissipated the advantage we had after winning all those AL East games by going 1-8 against the supposedly weak AL Central.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It is always thus. Perhaps I'll start a thread about whether this is Buck's worst team, or the worst team in the history of the world, or something like that.    

I think the current 25-20 record is probably a pretty fair reflection of the team's true talent. I'm not panicked at all, but I am disappointed that we've dissipated the advantage we had after winning all those AL East games by going 1-8 against the supposedly weak AL Central.

o

I feel the same way.

If the Orioles were 50-40 after 90 games, it wouldn't be great, and it wouldn't be bad.

It (being 50-40 after 90 games) would be somewhat disappointing to see a team with a solid but not spectacular record, and it would be somewhat encouraging to know that they were still in the hunt for another postseason berth.

o

On 5/23/2017 at 7:13 AM, joeyc said:

Hell No, this pitching staff is pathetic.

The bullpen is missing its champion. If Zach comes back and is his usual self, it'll be fine. Tyler Wilson aside, they were everything you could ask for in the Twins series.

The starting rotation... needs a hand. Tillman isn't 100 percent. Gausman, I don't even know. Ubaldo is trash. Miley will regress eventually. Bundy's fine.

But what people forget (at least in terms of ranking Buck's "best" teams) is that in 2014... we an entire starting rotation over perform, especially in the second half. Bud Norris, Miguel Gonzalez and Wei-Yin Chen were world beaters in the latter half of 2014, and Tillman was great all year. In 2015 they all regressed to the norm (or melted down, in Tillman's case), and the team wasn't as good.

I don't want to pile on, every fan had WS dreams after the hot start. But certain things were there from the beginning that we fans refused to see. The run differential was always indicative of a .500 team, not a .700 one (at the time). Being 8-1 in one-run games and winning 90% of the home games was another sign that regression to the mean was about to happen. 

• 3 weeks later...

They are now 9-21 since their great start. I can understand that they may have been exceeding expectations since 2012, but there is no way they go in the crapper like this. I don't think firing people changes much, but something doesn't seem right with this team. I mean other than the obvious. It comes across as 25 different teams out there.

Can't imagine how you blame Buck for this debacle.

Only way he isn't back in 2018 is if he chooses to leave.   I kinda doubt he will.

It would be much more rational to blame Duquette for gutting this farm system in order to get the worst pitching staff in the league.........but yea even that is kinda harsh because of all the insane regression.   Still.........we have no depth.

Duquette should accept responsibility for this.........but I can't see Angelos firing him only 2 years after saying he was an 'exceptional GM.'   Angelos is loyal.  How long were Flanagan and all those other dudes around when the O's were terrible for years?

8 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

You have to wonder, if this continues much longer, are Brady and Russell on deck to act as caretakers until a new management team is brought in?

What is 'much longer?'   Has Angelos ever fired a GM during a bad season before?  particularly after that GM was coming off a lot of success and multiple playoff appearances?      Duquette's contract is up in a year and a half anyway.

On 5/9/2017 at 11:35 PM, Frobby said:

I'm starting to think this team could be as good or better than the 2014 squad.    The pieces of this team really fit together well.    The whole seems greater than the sum of the parts.     22-10 despite a murderous early schedule.   And we don't really have many guys playing over their heads.   

I think it still comes down to how our starting pitching holds up over 162 games.     The last few games have been really encouraging, but there are 130 to go.   

Despite your obvious optimism in this thread, you still knew it would be pitching that would ultimately define the season and define it has since.

Still, you get the 2017 reverse jinx award so far! lol

Archived