What Is Buck's Plan for Closer?

Aristotelian

12 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Or Brach could be another Jim Johnson and be done as a top reliever after how much Buck overused him last year.

In both cases, they started the season like a house on fire.  

Johnson 2013 (through 5/8): 1.00 ERA, 0.88 WHIP, 13/13 saves in 18 games.   

Brach 2017 (through 4/26): 0.00 ERA, 0.58 WHIP, perfect 9/9 in holds (5) and saves (4) in 11 games.    

I've pointed out before that JJ was dominant for long stretches of 2013; he had two brief periods where his command went completely walkabout.    Hopefully this is just a blip for Brach, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.  

Brach's problem looks like confidence and inconsistent command.  Last night he got into a FB count and just grooved one.  Brach, Givens and Hart are all being asked to do more than they've had to do in the big leagues.  They look uncomfortable and over worked.  I don't worry about O'day as much except for injury concerns.  

It's a good thing to be playing so many close games, that means we have a chance to win.  Our success has taxed the pen.  Hopefully tonight we're talking about these guys getting right back out there with Ubaldo on the mound and not that we're losing 13-2 and Flaherty is pitching the 7th-8th innings.  

Archived