My thoughts (random order)

- Why not consider drafting Posey as a 3rd baseman? A projected .310 hitter with 20+ HRs, the range of a (former) SS and the arm of a catcher. Sounds like he could be with the big club by next year's all-star break and anchor that position for a decade.

- I would be thrilled with Matusz or Crow. I love stockpiling pitchers. I hope four of our first five picks are pitchers.

- Smoak sounds like a safe pick and I am warming up to him, but I don't have the mancrush some of you guys seem to be forming.

- No thanks to Tim Beckham. I don't have a good feeling about him. His numbers as a high schooler would have be eye-poppin', and I just don't see it. I hope he is gone before we are on the clock.

- While I normally prefer college players by a large margin, Hosmer definitely has my attention. I would be pleased if select him AND can sign him.

- Regardless of which way we go, I think I will be pretty satisfied. It doesn't sound like you can go wrong with the first ten players. At this point, I may be more interested in rounds 2-5. We need to score big to really beef up the minor league program.

- Why not consider drafting Posey as a 3rd baseman? A projected .310 hitter with 20+ HRs, the range of a (former) SS and the arm of a catcher. Sounds like he could be with the big club by next year's all-star break and anchor that position for a decade.

- I would be thrilled with Matusz or Crow. I love stockpiling pitchers. I hope four of our first five picks are pitchers.

- Smoak sounds like a safe pick and I am warming up to him, but I don't have the mancrush some of you guys seem to be forming.

- No thanks to Tim Beckham. I don't have a good feeling about him. His numbers as a high schooler would have be eye-poppin', and I just don't see it. I hope he is gone before we are on the clock.

- While I normally prefer college players by a large margin, Hosmer definitely has my attention. I would be pleased if select him AND can sign him.

- Regardless of which way we go, I think I will be pretty satisfied. It doesn't sound like you can go wrong with the first ten players. At this point, I may be more interested in rounds 2-5. We need to score big to really beef up the minor league program.

1. No thanks, I'm not interested at drafting a player that high and then switching him upon arrival. There are plenty of players who are talented enough to be drafted at #4 who can play their natural position.

2. I agree, stockpiling pitchers is the way to go. There's a reason why Mark Teixieria is hitting the free agent market this offseason, and there's a reason why the Lincecum's, Shields's, Kazmir's etc. of the world never touch the FA market. Teams lock up young pitching, period. The more you draft, the better off you are.

3. I agree on Smoak, as well. Over these past few days the idea of drafting a power hitting 1B with a gold glove has certainly appealed to me. However, as the previous point that you have made, Matusz and Crow look awful good, too.

4. Couldn't disagree more, Tim Beckham is a stud. The Orioles would be lucky to have a player of his caliber fall.

5. I'm a little bit more worried than you are in regards to Hosmer. At #4, I think he's just too much of a risk. I don't want to deal with what we did last year with a high school boras guy in the top 10. I'd rather take a shot on the Boras guy in the 2nd or 3rd round... not #4 -- too much riding on it.

6. Couldn't agree more. I believe this is a tribute to the way the Orioles are running the farm system now. I have 110% confidence in Joe Jordan and how he handles thing. I know the player who's picked in the 1st, 2nd and beyond will be the player that best fits what this team needs in terms of ability and need.

1. No thanks, I'm not interested at drafting a player that high and then switching him upon arrival. There are plenty of players who are talented enough to be drafted at #4 who can play their natural position.

How is catcher Posey's "natural position" when he was shifted there after his freshman (or sophomore?) season in college? Is he a natural shortstop where he played before? Or catcher, where he has far less experience? He's played every position on the field and could easily profile as a 3rd baseman, or 2nd baseman, or left fielder. Not saying I want Posey, just that it is not that far fetched.

If Hosmer is truly regarded as the best high school bat in years, I think a team in the O's situation is crazy not to take a chance on him. You don't play consistently with the Yanks and Bosox if you don't grab the highest ceiling players available. I'd rather wait an extra couple years for a player like Hosmer if his potential is that much greater than a player like Smoak.

I'll be pleased with whomever we get. I don't think we can screw up the 4th pick in this draft.

2. I agree, stockpiling pitchers is the way to go. There's a reason why Mark Teixieria is hitting the free agent market this offseason, and there's a reason why the Lincecum's, Shields's, Kazmir's etc. of the world never touch the FA market. Teams lock up young pitching, period. The more you draft, the better off you are.

Are you implying that teams aren't locking up young positional talent? Uh...

I seriously doubt Jordan takes more than two pitchers with the first 5 picks, and we need to keep adding positional talent to make up for years of neglect. We especially need middle IF and run-producers. If we take Matusz, so be it. He has a fairly clean delivery with current results and projection of a top of the rotation starter. Not to mention he's LH. There is value there.

Crow's motion makes me cringe. There's a Tommy John surgery in his near future. I'd pass on Crow, but that's just me. I'm not one who believes in drafting a guy in the first round and then try to change his delivery.

Beckham is a stud, but he is a risk no doubt. That is the draft game. I would hate to be the guy who passes on him if he turns out to be as expected. I could see taking Hosmer, Alvarez and Matusz before him, but that's about it. Personally, if I'm TB I'd take him first. If he never makes it, they'll be fine. They have the depth in their system and they can afford a miss or two.

If I were to rank the first five picks it'd be: (not to mean that this is where I think they'll get drafted)

1. Tim Beckham SS

2. Eric Hosmer 1B

3. Pedro Alvarez 3B

4. Justin Smoak 1B

5. Brian Matusz LHP

Posey would be #6, G. Beckham has a few holes in his swing, Skipworth would be close also, and I'm really starting to like Casey Kelly and Brett Lawrie. There just isn't much elite pitching this year, although mid to late first round should have some solid college pitching and a few HS arms. Someone will draft Crow high and he'll look great for a while until the DL comes calling.

I really think if it goes T. Beckham, Alvarez and Hosmer (although I have a tough time believing KC takes him), then I would take Smoak.

Are you implying that teams aren't locking up young positional talent? Uh...

I'm implying that when is the last time you've seen a pitcher like the ones I mentioned hit the free agent market? How about hitters? I can think of a whole lot more hitters than I can pitchers. A whole lot more.

How is catcher Posey's "natural position" when he was shifted there after his freshman (or sophomore?) season in college? Is he a natural shortstop where he played before? Or catcher, where he has far less experience? He's played every position on the field and could easily profile as a 3rd baseman, or 2nd baseman, or left fielder. Not saying I want Posey, just that it is not that far fetched.

I'm going to be honest, I don't nearly as much about Posey as you so I don't want to argue. I've read that he's a catcher, that's about it. However I still think you can understand my point. There are people at the 4th pick who can be taken where a position is played that has been played for years... no profiling as a different position.

I love stockpiling pitchers. I hope four of our first five picks are pitchers.

I know JJ will take the best talent available, but I am hoping for our first 4 or 5 picks to be bats. We are so thin on offense in our farm system it's not even funny.

If Hosmer is truly regarded as the best high school bat in years, I think a team in the O's situation is crazy not to take a chance on him. You don't play consistently with the Yanks and Bosox if you don't grab the highest ceiling players available. I'd rather wait an extra couple years for a player like Hosmer if his potential is that much greater than a player like Smoak.

bingo, i DON'T understand the aversion to H.S. position players. Manny R. , A-rod, Jeter, CAL, etc, etc, etc.. So what if we wait anothe 12 -18 months to get here. Yeah, lets settle for an average player, because were in a hurry. Though I think Smoak is above average, you have to take the best guy, otherwise, what's the point?

I'm for stockpiling pitching IF you've got a balanced farm system. That's not the case with us, we are heavily undermaned as far as position prospects go. Our farm system is Ethiopian thin when it comes to position prospects.

Archived