2017 Mega Draft Thread

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Lowther broke out as a sophomore in 2016, leading the Big East Conference in strikeouts (84 in 102 innings) and outpitching Dodgers supplemental first-rounder Jordan Sheffield to beat Vanderbilt in the NCAA regional playoffs. He continued to raise his profile in the Cape Cod League, which he led in strikeouts (54), whiffs per nine innings (13.6) and K/BB ratio (13.5). This spring, he set a Xavier school record for strikeouts (115) and ranked third in NCAA Division I in whiff rate (13.4) entering the playoffs. The amazing thing about Lowther's success is that his best pitch is a fastball that sits at 87-89 mph and tops out at 93. It plays well above its mediocre velocity because it features running life, he commands it well and the deception in his delivery leads to a lot of uncomfortable swings. He's unlikely to throw much harder because he's already physically mature at 6-foot-2 and 235 pounds. Lowther pitches off his fastball well, increasing the effectiveness of a curveball and changeup that range from fringy to average. His control hasn't been as sharp this spring as it was a year ago, though he has been more unhittable than ever. He'll have to prove that his modest arsenal will work in pro ball, though his track record suggests that it would be foolish to bet against him."- mlb.com

SO guy in a weak conference.  Doesn't seem like he has a high ceiling. 

The O's have taken the Hallway on the first 2 picks, and I'm impressed.  Both appear to be very impressive players.  Lowther?  Well, we'll wait and see.  I can't say I'm optimistic based on what I've read.  

Gotta laugh at the Nats picking a reliever who recently got kicked off his team for multiple off-field problems.  One analyst said, the better your fastball, the less character matters.  But picking for major league need in the MLB draft seems like a recipe for disaster - do they really think he's going to step in and help their bullpen any time soon?  And of course, the Nats pen blew another one last night - this time it was fat Albers - who's actually had a very good season aside from that.  He does not have the mental fortitude to close.  

• weams changed the title to 2017 Mega Draft Thread

Seth Romero was a friday pitcher. John Manuel says that he needs to grow up but his issues were due to immaturity not maliciousness or unlawful behavior. The MLB guys were opining that he could be a used like the Royals used Brandon Finnegan, but you could say that about half of the college arms that are drafted.

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Gotta laugh at the Nats picking a reliever who recently got kicked off his team for multiple off-field problems.  One analyst said, the better your fastball, the less character matters.  But picking for major league need in the MLB draft seems like a recipe for disaster - do they really think he's going to step in and help their bullpen any time soon?  And of course, the Nats pen blew another one last night - this time it was fat Albers - who's actually had a very good season aside from that.  He does not have the mental fortitude to close.  

Seth Romero can start, he was in discussion for 1-1 before he got kicked off the team.  All the stuff I've heard about him seems to be immaturity stuff, nothing too concerning if the Nats can create a good situation for him.  Could be a huge steal.

1 minute ago, phillyOs119 said:

Seth Romero can start, he was in discussion for 1-1 before he got kicked off the team.  All the stuff I've heard about him seems to be immaturity stuff, nothing too concerning if the Nats can create a good situation for him.  Could be a huge steal.

Nats seem to favor high risk/reward types early in the draft.

Archived