TT: How bad are the Orioles?

Tony-OH

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Found one worse.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL198806270.shtml

1988, Pete Stanicek in LF, Ken Gerhart in CF, Larry sheets in RF

I was looking for the ultimate of Jeff Stone in LF with Gerhart and Sheets but i could not find that game. Sheets was Trumbo-esque, Gerhart was brutal no matter where he played, and Stanicek was a 2B convert.

Dang, nice job.  I figured with Young and Sheets in my lineup I had it for sure.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I think this team has quit on Buck. Losing Wieters has had a major impact on the clubhouse as well.

It's entirely possible and if it's true, I'd bet not using Britton against Toronto in the WC game had something to do with that. It wouldn't be the first time he completely lost the clubhouse of the team he was managing.

7 minutes ago, Sessh said:

It's entirely possible and if it's true, I'd bet not using Britton against Toronto in the WC game had something to do with that. It wouldn't be the first time he completely lost the clubhouse of the team he was managing.

Something may have happened to lose the clubhouse but the players are still playing for their futures. I think there really is something going on with this team that we may not be privy to. It is uncanny how all the dominos have fallen at once.

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Found one worse.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL198806270.shtml

1988, Pete Stanicek in LF, Ken Gerhart in CF, Larry sheets in RF

I was looking for the ultimate of Jeff Stone in LF with Gerhart and Sheets but i could not find that game. Sheets was Trumbo-esque, Gerhart was brutal no matter where he played, and Stanicek was a 2B convert.

I believe you could buy 32 oz beers in those days.

On 6/14/2017 at 11:28 AM, Tony-OH said:

Over last 30 games the Orioles are 9-21(.300) and have been outscored 195-133. They only have two wins of more than two runs over this span and only one in a regular 9-inning game (Mancini's walk off three-run homer being the other). 

They've gone from tied for 1st place to 7.5 games back and a half game out of last place.

Starters ERA during this stretch

Dylan Bundy        4.14 in 6 starts
Wade Miley          5.56 in 7 starts
Kevin Gausman   6.32 in 6 starts

Chris Tillman        9.59 in 6 starts
Alec Asher           9.87 in 4 starts
Ubaldo Jimenez 11.00 in 2 starts

Relievers ERA

Darren O'day      2.00 in 9 games with 17 Ks in 9 innings before going on DL
Mychal Givens    3.21 in 13 games over 14 innings. 1 blown save
Brad Brach          3.86 with 3 saves and two blown saves that started this run.
Stefan Crichton   7.56 in 4 games over 8.1 IP
Donnie Hart         8.10 in  8 games, 6.2 IP, .370 BAVG

Hitters slash lines
Jonathan Schoop  .269/.331/.504/.835
Mark Trumbo         .283/.358/.467/.825
Chris Davis            .213/.286/.528/.813
Trey Mancini          .274/.346/.466/.811
Caleb Joseph        .281/.339/.456/.795
Wellington Castillo .270/.303/.413/.716
Adam Jones          .250/.271/.442/.713
Seth Smith            .229/.293/.373/.667
Manny Machado   .210/.259/.390/.649
JJ Hardy               .214/.243/.330/.573

With four hitters OPSing over .800 the hitting hasn't been too bad overall despite Manny's struggles and the hole in the lineup that is known as the Hardy hole. The main bullpen members have been decent. All of Brach's runs given up over this span were in those two blown saves that started this slide.

Quite simply, you can't run out the worse starting rotation in baseball and expect to win. When your best starter has a 4.14 ERA in the last month, things have gone real, real bad.

Just go down and get some depth from AAA right?

Norfolk Tides starters ERA
Mike Wright      4.19 in 10 starts
Tyler Wilson     4.78 in 7 starts
Jayson Aquino 5.08 in 8 starts
Jordan Kipper  5.59 in 7 starts
Chris Lee         6.28 in 12 starts
Gabriel Ynoa   6.93 in 9 starts

In other words, the two guys who have already failed as big league starters are the best two current options.

It's going to be a long summer in Baltimore.

Manny "struggles" and Hardy is a "hole" yet they have similar numbers. And if you went from where you thought they would/could be Hardy is closer to that than Manny. Manny is an absolute zero right now when his team needs him the most.

1 minute ago, Fuzzball22 said:

Manny "struggles" and Hardy is a "hole" yet they have similar numbers. And if you went from where you thought they would/could be Hardy is closer to that than Manny. Manny is an absolute zero right now when his team needs him the most.

His season is one of the most perplexing to me. By all accounts this was the year where Manny was going to another level. Even had some national media guys giving him some AL MVP love.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

Machado 86 wRC+

Hardy 39 wRC+

Doesn't look similar to me.

Now Jones (89wRC+) and Machado look similar.  Hardy's number falls between Genty and Ubaldo.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Machado 86 wRC+

Hardy 39 wRC+

Doesn't look similar to me.

Now Jones (89wRC+) and Machado look similar.  Hardy's number falls between Genty and Ubaldo.

Funny that people still try to use batting average in their arguments. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Funny, I just checked this whole thread and no where do I discuss batting average.

True, my bad. The original post used batting average as one of the metrics to show how bad we are playing. I mistakenly thought you were the original poster. And before you get all carried away with criticizing me for not remembering who the original poster was who does "Genty" play for.

Are those wRC+ numbers for the year or the last 30 games. That was the time frame in the original post. I am not an advanced metric guy. You get past war and I am pretty much clueless, though I do know what wRC+ represents.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

True, my bad. The original post used batting average as one of the metrics to show how bad we are playing. I mistakenly thought you were the original poster. And before you get all carried away with criticizing me for not remembering who the original poster was who does "Genty" play for.

Are those wRC+ numbers for the year or the last 30 games. That was the time frame in the original post. I am not an advanced metric guy. You get past war and I am pretty much clueless, though I do know what wRC+ represents.

The numbers I quoted were for the season, which I feel is more useful.

I'm not much for snapshots.  Look at what Schoop did in the first and second half last year.

Archived