TT: How bad are the Orioles?

Tony-OH

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Ah yes you didn't share my pessimism concerning signing

1. A 32 yo middle infielder

2. A 33 yo middle reliever

3. A 29 yo slugger one year removed from hitting .196

And yet sadly my pessimism was dead on.

It's not pessimism it evaluating your talent in the cold light of day and making decision accordingly.

I wasn't a big fan of the Davis signing.    I'll admit to being OK with the other two.

Manny's a little different situation. He's 24 years old and has never batted below .260 in a full season.   He may do that this year, but to say he may never hit .260 again is a pretty pessimistic take no matter how you slice it.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wasn't a big fan of the Davis signing.    I'll admit to being OK with the other two.

Manny's a little different situation. He's 24 years old and has never batted below .260 in a full season.   He may do that this year, but to say he may never hit .260 again is a pretty pessimistic take no matter how you slice it.

Bryce Harper hit .243 last year. Granted he was playing somewhat hurt and still  walked alot and had a good .OBP.  Manny seems to want to kill every pitch. He can get his average up some if he goes the other way and maybe talk a walk. Also think he is a little hurt and homer happy.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

True... .260 is pessisimistic... but something (physical or mental) is just not right with him.

I've never been a fan of big open stances like he has... be an interesting study to evaluate batting average vs. stance. My gut feel is the all time great hitters are neutral to closed. I grew up emulating Frank Robinson, closed stance, right on top of the plate, quick/strong enough to fight off inside pitches, owned everything else.

On 6/20/2017 at 11:08 AM, webbrick2010 said:

True... .260 is pessisimistic... but something (physical or mental) is just not right with him.

I've never been a fan of big open stances like he has... be an interesting study to evaluate batting average vs. stance. My gut feel is the all time great hitters are neutral to closed. I grew up emulating Frank Robinson, closed stance, right on top of the plate, quick/strong enough to fight off inside pitches, owned everything else.

I never played baseball (only B-league softball) but it looks to me that an open stance makes you very vulnerable to the pitch low and away, like you have to go fishing to make contact.

We just lost 27 out of our last 41 games, including a dreary, miserable homestand. We are completely outmatched by competitive teams. This team is not a playoff-bound team this year. Not even close. This is the worst they've been since before Buck was manager.

The Orioles are 21-16 against the AL East, 6-14 against the AL Central and 0-3 against the AL West.

I am beginning to figure out the Orioles hot start. They played almost only the AL East in April. We thought the East was a strong division this year, but we were wrong.

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

The Orioles are 21-16 against the AL East, 6-14 against the AL Central and 0-3 against the AL West.

I am beginning to figure out the Orioles hot start. They played almost only the AL East in April. We thought the East was a strong division this year, but we were wrong.

I don't think that's it. I just think the starting pitching has fallen apart and the bullpen is overtaxed in a way that it wasn't in April and much of May. 

Anyway, this is clearly a team that needs to rebuild. You can't say that we are close to turning it around when we're about to set a major league record for pitching incompetence. At this point, I see our biggest trade assets as Machado, Brach, and (if he comes back healthy and does well in July) Britton. Givens might have some value as well. I could also see getting something for Castillo. Somebody might be interested in Seth Smith, but he's not going to bring much of a return. 

I would try to dump salary only if the front office decides to get serious about investing in Latin American amateur talent. Otherwise there's no point. 

1 minute ago, crawjo said:

I don't think that's it. I just think the starting pitching has fallen apart and the bullpen is overtaxed in a way that it wasn't in April and much of May. 

Anyway, this is clearly a team that needs to rebuild. You can't say that we are close to turning it around when we're about to set a major league record for pitching incompetence. At this point, I see our biggest trade assets as Machado, Brach, and (if he comes back healthy and does well in July) Britton. Givens might have some value as well. I could also see getting something for Castillo. Somebody might be interested in Seth Smith, but he's not going to bring much of a return. 

I would try to dump salary only if the front office decides to get serious about investing in Latin American amateur talent. Otherwise there's no point. 

The team is almost the same as in April. True, Britton pitched a bit in April, but he was injured. O'Day has been injured recently but he was also ineffective for the most part before his injury.

My theory is as good as any. The AL East is just a very mediocre division this year. There are no dominant teams in it. 

Maybe there will be bigger news in MLB tomorrow to knock the talk of this off the sports pages and talk shows.

Of course, the O's have made this bed and will have to sleep in it. Those are large bed sheets they're hanging out of those windows.

The Central definitely has some good teams and they are killing us. But we did pretty well against them last year and they haven't changed that much. I believe we won both series against the Indians. The bottom line is our pitching has deteriorated and the offense is mediocre and one dimensional. I don't know how much longer I can take it. Feels like the season is already lost. 

6 hours ago, Norfolk orioles said:

Tampa's offense may keep us 1 game short of the record.

But the way I see it, if you're gonna suck, suck historically.

Tied for second in the majors in homers. Get her done. 

The whole AL is pretty average. Houston and perhaps Indians and Red Sox are good. The rest are mostly average. Only three teams are more then two games under .500. Only five teams more then three games over .500.

Archived