Rosenthal: Orioles Uequivocally Plan to be Buyers

Can_of_corn

13 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Not to rain on the edinson volquez parade but his has a WHIP of 1.42 with BB/9 of 5.2 and K/9 of 7.9 

For comparison Ubaldo Jimenez -- WHIP of 1.51 BB/9 of 4.9 and K/9 of 7.7 

Hard Pass.

Paker Bridwell has a 1.5 WHIP too. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kid named Steven Brault is on a list of guys ready to come up. Would be interesting to have a guy like this in the system. Pitt wouldn't give him away for nothing in sure, cheap pitching talent is hard to find. 

"he has the makings of a strong starter who has been firing on all cylinders (he’s allowed 2 ER or fewer in 12 straight starts, with 1 ER or fewer in 10 of those)." Damn. 

http://rotoprofessor.com/prospects/?p=1751

Do other organizations have similar stories? I mean here are all the young pitchers we have traded away for very little return (and we almost gave away Britton). 

+ Jake Arrieta

+ Zach Davies 

+ Stephen Brault 

+ Parker Bridwell

+ Josh Hader (we got back Bud Norris, not nothing)

+ Eduardo Rodriguez (again, we got Miller back, but with no intention of signing him long-term) 

+ To sign Ubaldo, we gave up a #1 pick

+ To sign Gallardo, we gave up a #1 pick

+ To get Norris, we gave up a pick. 

+ Just to get rid of Brian Matusz, we gave up a pick.

Wow! Am I missing anyone? That just seems like incredibly poor management from a small- or mid-market team. 

10 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Do other organizations have similar stories? I mean here are all the young pitchers we have traded away for very little return (and we almost gave away Britton). 

+ Jake Arrieta

+ Zach Davies 

+ Stephen Brault 

+ Parker Bridwell

+ Eduardo Rodriguez (again, we got Miller back, but with no intention of signing him long-term) 

Wow! Am I missing anyone? That just seems like incredibly poor management from a small- or mid-market team. 

Jake Arrieta - NO ONE had any issues with trading him at the time. He needed a change of scenery (i.e., it wasn't going to happen in Baltimore). He's also regressed considerably after his one phenomenal year in Chicago. I think he would be a 4+ era in the AL.  

Eduardo Rodriquez - This one stung a bit, but you can't say they didn't get their money's worth out of Andrew Miller. 

Everyone Else - Mehhhh

14 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

+ Jake Arrieta

+ Zach Davies 

+ Stephen Brault 

+ Parker Bridwell

Gave up a pick to shed the Webb contract.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Jake Arrieta - NO ONE had any issues with trading him at the time. He needed a change of scenery (i.e., it wasn't going to happen in Baltimore). He's also regressed considerably after his one phenomenal year in Chicago. I think he would be a 4+ era in the AL.  

Eduardo Rodriquez - This one stung a bit, but you can't say they didn't get their money's worth out of Andrew Miller. 

Everyone Else - Mehhhh

I don't considering losing three first round picks Mehhh but ymmv.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Everyone Else - Mehhhh

Brault for Snider is "Mehhhh"?

13 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Everyone Else - Mehhhh

Incorrect. The Orioles could have done exactly what the Cubs did with Arrieta when they first got him. A guy with good stuff who was having trouble putting things together. I didn't like it.

Also, let's be clear, Arrieta put up 17.4 rWAR in three seasons and was a big part of their WS victory.

2 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

+ Jake Arrieta

+ Zach Davies 

+ Stephen Brault 

+ Parker Bridwell

If you're going to put Arrieta in the giveaway category, you need to include Strop.   If you're including picks we lost, you have to include the pick we traded with Hader.    And I feel like there was one more comp pick we used in a salary dump, but I can't remember who the dumped player was.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you're going to put Arrieta in the giveaway category, you need to include Strop.   If you're including picks we lost, you have to include the pick we traded with Hader.    And I feel like there was one more comp pick we used in a salary dump, but I can't remember who the dumped player was.

They did.

Webb.

Archived