Do The Orioles Have Marketable Trade Assets?

PressBoxOnline

Just now, backwardsk said:

Isn't 1/12 a relatively cheap deal for a starting pitcher that may or may not be able to lift their arm above their head?

If they don't exercise it, they'll have three slots to replace.  I don't think they'll need to see significant improvement to lock into 30+ starts at mid 4 ERA at 12M.

It really stinks to look down into the minors and see nobody who shows promise challenging for a rotation spot next season.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I'd look at Milwaukee for Castillo.  

Kim to an NL team who may be looking for a Lefty bat off the bench--maybe Arizona.  I wouldn't expect anything in return.  I'd prefer to go with Gentry, Smith, Rickard, and Mancini as my COFer.

If someone wants to overpay for Brach, then I'd pursue that.

I don't agree that it's a foregone conclusion that Miley's option won't be picked up.

Milwaukee just claimed Stephen Vogt on waivers from Oakland, so they have taken care of their catcher sitaution.

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Well, I guess he is in the picture too. Who knows where. Gotta find spots for him and Sisco.

Mountcastle and Sisco (though less likely) could both ultimately end up in LF. 

We are a year or two away from potentially having a glut of outfielders.  Hays, Mullins, Mancini, Mountcastle, and maybe Sisco.  If only we could move one of them to first base?

I'm not expecting all of these guys to work out as big leaguers.  This is not a bad problem to have it would just be nice to flip one of these guys for a 3B or SS.  Prospect for prospect deals rarely take place though. 

16 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It's too much for a guy with a mid 4's ERA who can't go deep into games.  Those guys don't grow on trees in Baltimore, but if you look around the rest of the league they do. 

I look at the AL East and I see guys making way more than 12M with similar or worse ERAs than Miley.  Estrada, Price, Tanaka, Liriano, Porcello.

I'm not saying they have to pick up the option.  I'm disagreeing that it's a foregone conclusion that he's gone.  I think it's very risky to think that we can pick up three SP in the offseason who are better than Miley and have a shorter commitment.  

I agree that we wouldn't get much for him at the deadline.  I don't agree that there are these trees that you can shake to get sub 4 starters.  Sure, you can get guys like Zach Davies that have a good short term run, but then end up being a plus 5 pitcher the next season.  If that was the case, we wouldn't see these crazy contracts for guys like Scott Kazmir, Mike Pelphrey, the curve ball -former O pitcher that the Dodgers signed for multiple years in his late 30s, etc --imo.

9 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Mountcastle and Sisco (though less likely) could both ultimately end up in LF. 

We are a year or two away from potentially having a glut of outfielders.  Hays, Mullins, Mancini, Mountcastle, and maybe Sisco.  If only we could move one of them to first base?

I'm not expecting all of these guys to work out as big leaguers.  This is not a bad problem to have it would just be nice to flip one of these guys for a 3B or SS.  Prospect for prospect deals rarely take place though. 

You could potentially add Santander, and to a lesser extent Stewart to that list.  The emergence of Hays and Mullins has me cautiously optimistic about our position players of the future.

14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Milwaukee just claimed Stephen Vogt on waivers from Oakland, so they have taken care of their catcher sitaution.

That's good to know.  Vogt has really struggled this year though.  Castillo would be a clear upgrade for them.

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Why not extend Castillo and trade Sisco

I was just thinking this. You could probably get at least one good pitcher for him. He seems a bit overhyped to me. Doesn't hit for power and lacks the arm to throw guys out. 

7 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

If you are Castillo, what kind of offer do you need to prevent you from hitting the open market?

Do you think his stock has risen that much?

He's having a good enough year with the bat but it's hardly been a breakout season.

I don't see why he should expect to get much more on the market this offseason than last.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's having a good enough year with the bat but it's hardly been a breakout season.

I don't see why he should expect to get much more on the market this offseason than last.

I think I'd always want an opportunity for more than one party to bid on my services.  So I wouldn't be in a hurry to sign an extension before the end of the year unless it's really favorable.

2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I think I'd always want an opportunity for more than one party to bid on my services.  So I wouldn't be in a hurry to sign an extension before the end of the year unless it's really favorable.

But this a guy that got non-tendered last year.  He might favor some security.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you think there's a chance he exercises his player option and comes back next year?

4 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Obviously that makes sense.   But sometimes there ARE sometimes consequences to testing the market.   As Matt Wieters found out.   The Orioles didn't want to wait for him to see how the market percolated so they solved their catcher issue.  

Archived