Washington Post ranks OPACY the no. 3 stadium in MLB

Frobby

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It is old, for sure, but that setting is really beautiful.    I haven't been there for 35 years, so I don't know if they've done anything to update the features, but when I went I would have put it right at the top.

I've never been to Dodger Stadium. At the SABR convention a couple of weeks ago, I saw a presentation by Janet Marie Smith (who works for the Dodgers) on the recent renovations to it. Most of it seemed just fine, but nothing unusual. The exception was the surrounding landscaping, where a lot of upgrades were made -- truly spectacular and unlike anything I've ever seen in the vicinity of a sports facility.

Smith also talked about her recent work to preserve, modernize and expand the Dodgers' very impressive training facility in the Dominican. I know, different thread.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been to:

• Orioles
  • Cubs (x6)
  • Yankees (old x4/new x1)
  • Nationals (4x)
  • Pirates (3x)
  • Blue Jays (2x)
  • Marlins (x1)
  • Phillies (x1)
  • Brewers (x1)
  • Padres (x1)

Padres was far and away my favorite of any of them so far. Pirates is second. Camden Yards is third. The rest were all sort of forgettable, though the Brewer's tailgate is something to respect.

23 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Yea but you have to admit that being able to see the field while in the line for concessions is infinitely better than. The small monitors in Camden.

PNC also has an usher who will gladly tell you about watching Babe Ruth's last (next to last?) professional game.  (Played in Pitt)

They definitely need some bigger state of the art TV's for the concourses. I'm a big believer and not being out of my seat long but sometimes you get caught in a line. Pretty sure most jails have better tvs.  

I've heard wondrous things about AT&T from numerous people that have been there (that I trust, too), so I'm willing to believe it's the best. Would love to visit myself one day.

I thought PNC was a tie with Camden. Been there twice, think it's a great little park.

Have also been to Fenway, Wrigley, the Trop (ew), both Yankee stadiums, Shea, Nats Park, the Vet, Citizens' Bank and Turner Field. Hoping to do the Jake (or whatever they're calling it now) when the O's are out there in September.

I haven't been to many of the newer stadiums.    In my day, I've been to Oakland, Anaheim, Candlestick, Dodger Stadium, the Kingdome, Fenway, old Yankee Stadium, Cleveland Municipal Stadium, Shea Stadium, RFK, and of course, Memorial Stadium.   Seven of those 11 are now out of commission.   The only post-OPACY stadiums I've seen are Chase Field in Arizona and Nats Park.

• Pirates (3x)
  • Blue Jays (2x)
  • Marlins (x1)
  • Phillies (x1)
  • Brewers (x1)
  • Padres (x1)

Padres was far and away my favorite of any of them so far. Pirates is second. Camden Yards is third. The rest were all sort of forgettable, though the Brewer's tailgate is something to respect.

I have been to Orioles and Nationals games many times.

The rest on this list are the teams that we have visited on various trips over the last 10 years:

Pirates, Phillies, Blue Jays, Marlins, Rays, Mariners, Cards, Red Sox, Indians, Tigers, Astros, Padres, and Angels.

On 7/12/2017 at 5:15 PM, weams said:

Baltimore can't even support a team. No way Buffalo does. 

Neither Florida city supports its team. 

It's time to put a team back in Brooklyn and one in Cambridge. 

Buffalo has no trouble filling up Ralph Wilson Stadium or The Key Bank Center. They'll have absolutely no problem drawing good crowds for a MLB team.

Besides, you make the team regional. There's a huge plot of land right on the thruway between Buffalo and Rochester to build a stadium if not downtown Buffalo. 

Been to a little over half the stadiums in the bigs (OPACY, Nats, Philly new and old, Yankee new and old, Citi, Fenway, Skydome, PNC, Cleveland, Wrigley, ChiSox, Miller Park, old Busch, Kaufman, Houston, Texas, Braves old, AT&T, and Petco) and I give a very slight edge to San Fran over OPACY. While I agree with the poster that chided the giant coke bottle, the park is overall just beautiful and the location amazing. I liked PNC a lot, but not quite the charm of Camden, in my view, and I agree with the poster that pointed out the unnecessarily cramped concourses. Strictly in terms of the actual stadium, I really loved Citi Field, think the place is a gem. It gets downgraded though by a horrible location (in the flight path of I believe Laguardia, middle of nowhere Flushing/Queens I guess, surrounded by auto body shops with car skeletons on the roof as far as the eye can see). Honestly if you pick that place up and put it down in most any other MLB park location, it'd be among the best.

Wrigley and Fenway are awesome as well, but apples to oranges with the new places. 

In terms of least favorites, we really disliked Miller Park; just a colossus along a suburban highway with no personality and no baseball park feel. Also, new Yankee stadium stinks, as its more a monument than a ballpark in my opinion. Rogers/Skydome is what it is: groundbreaking at the time but really just subpar now.

A quick aside to the poster advocating a western NY team: respectfully, I think there are rightfully at least half a dozen locations that would be more appealing (thinking NC, Tenn, San Antonio or Austin, maybe even Vegas in time) before they would consider an area like that. Just don't think we are going to see a lot of teams moving north, especially into the rust belt. 

Archived