13-Game Countdown to D-Day (Decision Day)

mdbdotcom

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Guessing Britton would be the only one in that group who would bring back anyone worth acquiring.

This board is drastically underselling Brach after a few blown saves. This guy is in his first year of save opportunities and has proven to be a dominant setup man with control. How do you think a guy like Brach doesn't provide a good return? Brach isn't getitng acquired by a contender to be a 9th inning guy.

Castillo is likely one of the better catchers on the market. HIm and Smith won't get anything amazing but we've traded some pretty solid prospects for guys of similar value in years past like Travis Snider where we dealt Brault and co. We dealt Davies for Parra, etc.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

This board is drastically underselling Brach after a few blown saves. This guy is in his first year of save opportunities and has proven to be a dominant setup man with control. How do you think a guy like Brach doesn't provide a good return? Brach isn't getitng acquired by a contender to be a 9th inning guy.

Castillo is likely one of the better catchers on the market. HIm and Smith won't get anything amazing but we've traded some pretty solid prospects for guys of similar value in years past like Travis Snider where we dealt Brault and co. We dealt Davies for Parra, etc.

Agreed. Plus I'd rather get something for Smith/Castillo then letting them walk for nothing.

3 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

I hope you are right.

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

I hope you are right.

This isn't my opinion, look at what he has done this year and the past few years.

2015- 79 IP, 89 K's, 2.72 ERA, 1.20 WHIP

2016- 79 IP, 92 K's, 2.05 ERA, 1.04 WHIP

2017- 39 IP, 42 k's, 2.75 ERA, 0.86 WHIP

That's a dominant late inning reliever that a lot of teams desperately could use in the playoff race.

I think Brach has hurt his value a bit by proving that he can't be a closer. I think a good comparison is 2014 Andrew Miller who with only half a season of control netted Boston a top 100 prospect (wasn't Rodriguez like 80ish?). I think Brach with an extra year of control would get one top 100 prospect and another decent prospect. Something like Fedde and Stevenson from the Nats IMO. But he's not going to get a Chapman or Miller 2016 deal. 

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

I hope it doesn't last that long. I do this is the year the right thing is done for the team. But I won't bet on it. 

We'd have to go through a HUGE rebuild to be bad that long. It may take a few years but 8? Nah...not unless we really mess up.

2 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

You gonna fire the owner?  DD has a lot of blame but you can not ignore the owner. He is pulling the strings. DD is the employee. He does what his boss wants. Angelos meddled before. Long before DD. So I don't think it is quite fair to blame DD for everything. But that seems to be your MO. 

Why, when i envision Angelos these days, does it always come to me as if in a B-grade horror movie where he's hooked up to multiple wires and tubes, the body perished, but the brain still kept alive and a screen behind him that reads his thoughts, and it keeps saying... "Why Armando, why...?"

49 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

I'm not sure anyone is seriously thinking we'll sell everyone off. But if we do decide to sell, I'd imagine a couple of Britton, Brach, Smith, Castillo, etc. get moved.

Machado and Schoop today. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Really, the analogous year was 1998.    They had some great assets at the time, and if they'd started a rebuild then, it probably could have been done in 2-3 years.    

True. I was just looking back at one other instance where they *did* deal big as a previous comment wasn't sure Angelos had ever approved a big sell off. 

Archived