No excuses now

JTrea81

im sorry...i like mark tiexeira and all but every body on here raves about him and overates him so much. we should not over pay for this guy as he is not even a top 3 or 4 1b in my opinion. He would make us better but him alone added on this roster in place of millar right now would mean nothing. Millar has one less homer as we speak. (i kno tiexiera is a much better player just pointing out)

i hope we get the dude...but i wont be as mad as what everyone here would be. Id rather hope a Howard or Fielder fell our way. lol fat chance

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im sorry...i like mark tiexeira and all but every body on here raves about him and overates him so much. we should not over pay for this guy as he is not even a top 3 or 4 1b in my opinion. He would make us better but him alone added on this roster in place of millar right now would mean nothing. Millar has one less homer as we speak. (i kno tiexiera is a much better player just pointing out)

i hope we get the dude...but i wont be as mad as what everyone here would be. Id rather hope a Howard or Fielder fell our way. lol fat chance

Millar has 2 more homers than Tex.

Bottom line is that I'd be thrilled to have Tex here. He's a great player, a local guy... it's a win win for the O's.

But, he's going to get paid. It's that simple. The O's just have to come up with the right amount of cash to sign him... and they haven't shown the ability to do that with highly sought after players.

I'm way more concerned with the rest of the draft, rather than our #1 selection (who wouldn't have been my first pick, but I'll have to live with anyway). It seems the organization spent 6 or 7 picks trying to draft the next Juan Pierre or David Eckstein.

I'm outraged that the O's passed on Smoak and Posey. We don't need any more starting pitching.

Why go after Posey when we have Weiters. Bad idea IMO. While Smoak wouldve been good to have, you cant argue with what the O's did. They drafted the best pitcher in the draft. I'll take good pitching over good hitting anyday......

The Orioles absolutely have to land Teixeira now that they've passed on Smoak. If it takes 25+ million a year they'd better be prepared to pay it. I really hope what Tony said about their draft strategy is false if they aren't prepared to make Tex the highest paid player since A-Rod signed his deal.

I am glad you are not running the team. Texiera is not in Arod's class. I do not care who they drafted or did not draft. Look at Tex's numbers. He is not a 25 million $$$$ player. 6 years 100 and no more. You do not set back your team as Texas did when they signed Arod just to make a splash.

I am glad you are not running the team. Texiera is not in Arod's class. I do not care who they drafted or did not draft. Look at Tex's numbers. He is not a 25 million $$$$ player. 6 years 100 and no more. You do not set back your team as Texas did when they signed Arod just to make a splash.

*sigh* Not true...

*sigh* Not true...

What is not true. Do you honestly feel Tex is as good as Arod, or that he is worth 25 million per, or maybe you feel that the Arod contract did not prove to be a bad thing for Texas. "Sigh", IMHO all are true. Tex would be a great addition to the O's but not for anywhere near 25 per. I am also a little concerned about his dropoff the last few years also, but coming home to a good park for him would most likely benefit him.

What is not true. Do you honestly feel Tex is as good as Arod, or that he is worth 25 million per, or maybe you feel that the Arod contract did not prove to be a bad thing for Texas. "Sigh", IMHO all are true. Tex would be a great addition to the O's but not for anywhere near 25 per. I am also a little concerned about his dropoff the last few years also, but coming home to a good park for him would most likely benefit him.

The last is not at all true. The Park contract was the crippling contract.

Rodriguez should have been the MVP all three years in Arlington. He AVERAGED over 50 home runs, over a .300 BA, and a 1.000 OPS. Oh, by the way, he "only" made $22 million per all three years. He did exactly what he was supposed to do, and he earned his money.

The idea of throwing funny money north of $100 mil at Tex strikes me as particularly bizarre if we haven't first secured the flanks by locking up Markakis long-term and, barring a pre-trade-deadline mistake offer by another GM that's simply too good to pass up, same for Roberts as well. I'm queasy about an offer of that size regardless; but the failure to take care of this other business first pushes me squarely into flummoxed territory! (I think that's even worse than queasy, right?) :)

The last is not at all true. The Park contract was the crippling contract.

Rodriguez should have been the MVP all three years in Arlington. He AVERAGED over 50 home runs, over a .300 BA, and a 1.000 OPS. Oh, by the way, he "only" made $22 million per all three years. He did exactly what he was supposed to do, and he earned his money.

Totally disagree. Arod was and is he best player in the game. No doubt!! The problem is they were terrible even with him and could not pay to improve their team. You are correct about Park. He was an awful waste of money. The Arod contract became a major problem and they could not even shop him for a mega offer of prospects which they really needed because only a few teams could afford the contract. They got Soriano who was a very good player and Joaquin Arias but had to kick in 65 million to the Yankees. The Rangers finished last in at least 2 of the 3 Arod years. The contract hamstrung them (10 years/252). I am a Texiera fan and really hope he lands here but no way for 25 per.

Oh, by the way, he "only" made $22 million per all three years. ....Very true...but with the 65 million they had to pay the Yankees it really proved to be 44 million a year for his 3 years of service. LAst place should not cost that much, and I know Arod was great but what did it get them.

Totally disagree. Arod was and is he best player in the game. No doubt!! The problem is they were terrible even with him and could not pay to improve their team. You are correct about Park. He was an awful waste of money. The Arod contract became a major problem and they could not even shop him for a mega offer of prospects which they really needed because only a few teams could afford the contract. They got Soriano who was a very good player and Joaquin Arias but had to kick in 65 million to the Yankees. The Rangers finished last in at least 2 of the 3 Arod years. The contract hamstrung them (10 years/252). I am a Texiera fan and really hope he lands here but no way for 25 per.

Oh, by the way, he "only" made $22 million per all three years. ....Very true...but with the 65 million they had to pay the Yankees it really proved to be 44 million a year for his 3 years of service. LAst place should not cost that much, and I know Arod was great but what did it get them.

None of that has to do with your argument, though: that Rodriguez's contract was the cause.

Park had the bad contract that hamstrung them. They could have had two decent pitchers for what it cost for him, and that would have improved that team by a lot.

They were fifth in the league in offense in 2002 and 2003, but 12th and last in pitching. The year before they signed Rodriguez (2000), they were ninth in offense.

Do you believe Albert Belle's contract was stupid for the Orioles?

I really hope Tex signs a deal with Atlanta before the season ends, as much as i like him, noway should we spend 20+ mil a year on him. And if he signs with Atlanta maybe we can have a conversation that does not involve Tex. I believe we stay the course and when we seem ready to take the next step then we analyze what we need and go get it. Who knows, maybe Snyder comes around, or even Mahoney(maybe struggling this year a bit, but is only 20 or 21). Heck maybe even Tripp could move to 1B, and a lot of people project Rowell to end up at 1B. So we do have a few options to explore, and are in no hurry to sign a big contract (especially one that will overpay a player). If all the above options fail, than maybe in 2009 off-season we can explore an option to fill the spot.

The Orioles absolutely have to land Teixeira now that they've passed on Smoak. If it takes 25+ million a year they'd better be prepared to pay it. I really hope what Tony said about their draft strategy is false if they aren't prepared to make Tex the highest paid player since A-Rod signed his deal.

When did I say anything like that?

Please make sure you understand what I say before you quote me.

All I said was that Jordan was to meet with McPhail and Angelos before the draft to talk about the future POSSIBLY including whether or not the Orioles were going to seriously go after Teixeira this off season.

I then said that if the O's go after Matusz over Smoak, it MAY indicate the Orioles will go after Teixeira hard this offseason.

That's it! I never said the Orioles were going to make Teixeira the highest paid player since A-rod nor did I say what was discussed in the meeting for sure because I don't know, I wasn't there.

Chances are, the Orioles are planning to go after Teixeira this off season, but the bidding process will determine how far they go in this regard.

I really hope Tex signs a deal with Atlanta before the season ends, as much as i like him, noway should we spend 20+ mil a year on him. And if he signs with Atlanta maybe we can have a conversation that does not involve Tex. I believe we stay the course and when we seem ready to take the next step then we analyze what we need and go get it. Who knows, maybe Snyder comes around, or even Mahoney(maybe struggling this year a bit, but is only 20 or 21). Heck maybe even Tripp could move to 1B, and a lot of people project Rowell to end up at 1B. So we do have a few options to explore, and are in no hurry to sign a big contract (especially one that will overpay a player). If all the above options fail, than maybe in 2009 off-season we can explore an option to fill the spot.

Why shouldn't we be trying to fill holes with long-term solutions whenever that chance comes along?

Archived