No excuses now

JTrea81

This post sums up my feelings on Tex. I've said before, I heard he has no plans to play here. We all know its going to take obscene money for him to consider it. In no way is he worth it.

For the slow starter that he is, he will get eaten alive in a New York market. Good riddance (and he ain't even here yet).

... Which is exactly why I wanted a position player!!!

The over reactions on this board are amazing. Tex is hardly a "must sign" and the idea that you'd give him A-Rod money is even more asanine.

Tex's 2008 numbers:

BA .272, 9 HRs, 42 RBIs, .360 OBP, 15 Dbls, 30 BBs, 33 Ks

Since his superstar 2005 season that saw him blast 43 HRs in the hitter-friendly confines of Arlington, TX, he's hit 33 home runs in 2006 and 30 in 2007. Throught 58 games, he's on pace to hit another 30 this year. Are these A-Rod numbers? Are these $25 mil + numbers? Not in the least. If Tex doesn't want to come here for between 17-20, then he can go elsewhere.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 2006 Tigers had first base covered by Chris Shelton (OPS+ of 106), then benched him and played Sean Casey (OPS+ of 67).

The 2002 Angels had Scott Spezio and his .436 slugging percentage at first.

The '01 Diamondbacks had 37-year-old Mark Grace and his 15 homers at first.

Todd Zeile was a league-average first baseman for the '00 Mets.

The 1998 Padres got 12 homers out of their first baseman, 36-year-old Wally Joyner.

The '97 Marlins' first baseman had a 98 OPS+. That was Jeff Conine.

Broken down old Sid Bream played first for the 1992 Braves. He hit .261 with 12 homers. He was basically the same player for the 1991 Braves.

The 1990 Reds' first baseman was Todd Benzinger. He of the .251/.291/.340 line.

The 1988 Dodgers' first baseman was Franklin Stubbs. He was pretty cool since he went to college at Virginia Tech, but that summer he hit .223/.288/.376.

What is the common thread connecting all of these teams and players, besides their adequate-at-best first basemen? They all played in the World Series that year.

Are you insinuating that the Orioles can field a World Series team with a scrub at first base? I hope not, because it implies you think this team has several other pieces in place for a playoff run.

I know why you brought up those examples, but the bottom line is that this team sorely needs a cleanup hitter, short term and long term. A power hitter. Positional talent.

Smoak fits that need, and could be an impact player within three years. At some point, the Orioles need to address their needs first. What makes this even more frustrating is that I believe Smoak was the best overall talent available on the board. So not only do the Orioles pass on a glaring need, they pass on premium talent. The whole "pitching and defense philosophy" is making me sick, because you can't win with a pitiful offense. Billy Beane manages to finish first in a weak division every year with that philosophy (w/ high OBP obviously), but can't make it to the World Series because his offenses aren't powerful/good enough. The Orioles are, by contrast, in the toughest division year in and year out. Without a genius GM, and in the toughest division, what makes them think they have any chance whatsoever to utilize the pitching and defense model successfully?

The Orioles will never have a prayer until they put together a team that can rake. We had great teams in 96 in 97 because we had good pitching AND a BIG TIME offense. To win in the East, you need power pitching and power hitting.

This draft pick is infuriating. We could have Prince Fielder mashing for us now if we hadn't adopted this obsession with pitching. Instead, we have Adam Loewen and his arm problems. Pitchers are too much of an injury risk to continue drafting like this. Don't get me wrong, creating a surplus of pitching talent is fine. But not to this extent.

Planning on pursuing Tex is a joke, especially to the point of drafting inferior players and failing to address needs for a fraction of the price. The Yankees and Red Sox are going to throw astronomical sums of money at the kid. Free agents spurn the Orioles every single year because we have had incompetent baseball people making stupid decisions running the franchise. AM seems to want to get right in line and join the parade of futility.

My question is why haven't we gone after one of those alternatives. Heck we've been waiting for Tex since we lost him in the draft.

All signs point to the Orioles offering Tex a huge amount of cash north of 20 million per season. They have to pray he doesn't turn it down now...

I a praying he turns it down. I don't want the most overated player on this board.

Watch the guy play not worth 3/4 of what A-Rod gets.

He is not the only big bat first baseman out there. With Howard available the Market will not go through the roof.

Just say NO to Tex!

The Orioles absolutely have to land Teixeira now that they've passed on Smoak. If it takes 25+ million a year they'd better be prepared to pay it. I really hope what Tony said about their draft strategy is false if they aren't prepared to make Tex the highest paid player since A-Rod signed his deal.

How do you explain Smoak going 11th? Could it be that the guys who know about 100 times more than you do about prospects thought that Smoak wasn't God-in-cleats?

Maybe, just maybe, Matusz was the better player.

Maybe, just maybe, we can use our pitching depth to acquire bats.

Maybe, just maybe, you are overreacting yet again.

I'm outraged that the O's passed on Smoak and Posey. We don't need any more starting pitching.

This is just as bad as passing on Fielder for Loewen. The reason the Rays are so much better than us is that they've drafted great positional talent. I understand emphasizing pitching, but not to this extent.

I'm livid.

I don't really get why anyone would get so "livid" over this. Yes we do need a 1b and SS, but I'm alwasy of the position to take the best player available- and if that's what we did- more power to us. We can trade from a huge strength and from a position of depth WHEN and if we see a prospect worth going after.

Besides that- I'd say it's safe to say no matter how many eggs you have in a basket, there's no guarantee ANY of them will mature properly. I'd say in all likelihood, where we stand right now, within 2 years we should have a formidable 5 man rotation, if not potential 6.

I think the fact that we are probably multiple years away from truly contending, it's okay to be patient. Do you realize how big those trades were for us last summer and winter? I see no reason why similar trades can't be made this winter as well. If the team play consistent this year and barring injuries- we're looking at some serious trade bait in Roberts, Cabrera, Sherrill, and who knows who else.

To me, this pick might signify that the Orioles will be listening long and hard to offers for Cabrera(as they should be regardless). With another young arm most likely ML ready within 2 years- he's a big name that could net a top 1b or ss prospect and more...

Let's be patient. I'd say Macphail and Jordan deserve that much given the past year. They have more information than we do and I'm pretty sure they didn't just flip a coin on this decision- so let's see it play out before we start bursting veins.

The market's inflated, Tex is a hot commodity and you have the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets bidding on him as well as other teams. Absolutely I think he's worth 25+ million in this market...

The Orioles had better be prepared to bump the payroll north of 100 million...

Jason Giambi is having a better year than Teixeira. That may not last, but for the moment the Yankees are not desperate for a new first baseman.

I've already gone over why Teixeira may be the most overrated player in the league in terms of value. He has not been a Top 20 player in terms of power stats the last 2 years, yet apparently he is going to command huge money. I like Teixeira a lot, but to act like the O's must sign him is wrong-headed and irresponsible. I hope they get him, but not at some insane price. I'd rather see the O's trade for some young stud first baseman, move Luke Scott (or someone else) to 1B, or sign someone else if Teixeira proves to be wildly overpriced.

.... that Angelos and MacPhail know right now that Mark Teixeira will sign with us in the offseason? I know there's some heavy penalties for tampering with players on other teams, but given the money involved in the free agent market these days I wouldn't be at all surprised if some back door discussions take place in these circumstances. For example, I found the whole JD Drew voiding his Dodgers contract to sign with the Red Sox a couple years ago very suspicious. The conventional wisdom at the time was that Drew was insane to throw away the guaranteed $33 million LA was set to pay him over the next three years, but there was Boston five minutes later writing him a check for $70 million as if it had all been preordained. You tell me that Drew and his agent Scott Boras (who also reps Teixeira) had no idea the Sox were waiting to sign him, and how much they were willing to pay? Somehow I doubt it.

Now, I'm on record as being against the Orioles going after Teixeira, but the only way today's draft makes sense to me is if the O's owner and GM have absolutely no doubt at all that he's going to be an Oriole next year.

The speculation today is crazy. How in the world this draft can lead everyone to start making trade speculation and theories about what the organization is doing...it's a bit too much.

AM told us all that they would draft the guys they think can be major leaguers.

I wonder if we've been in talks for Votto seeing as though the Reds just drafted Alonso who is predicted to move fast. Votto for Cabrera perhaps?

HUH? Are you kidding? You can't be serious? The Reds are going to trade a kid who is hitting the snot out of the ball and is cheap and under their control because they drafted another kid who plays his position 12 hours ago.

Did the conversation go like this:

Scouting Director: Yeah, Walt, we got Alonso, dump Votto immediately.

Walt: 10-4, never liked that guy Votto anyway.

No.

And no to any kind of agreement between a guy who plays for the Braves and the Orioles. No. No. No.

.... that Angelos and MacPhail know right now that Mark Teixeira will sign with us in the offseason? I know there's some heavy penalties for tampering with players on other teams, but given the money involved in the free agent market these days I wouldn't be at all surprised if some back door discussions take place in these circumstances. For example, I found the whole JD Drew voiding his Dodgers contract to sign with the Red Sox a couple years ago very suspicious. The conventional wisdom at the time was that Drew was insane to throw away the guaranteed $33 million LA was set to pay him over the next three years, but there was Boston five minutes later writing him a check for $70 million as if it had all been preordained. You tell me that Drew and his agent Scott Boras (who also reps Teixeira) had no idea the Sox were waiting to sign him, and how much they were willing to pay? Somehow I doubt it.

Now, I'm on record as being against the Orioles going after Teixeira, but the only way today's draft makes sense to me is if the O's owner and GM have absolutely no doubt at all that he's going to be an Oriole next year.

I'm also pretty sure that when Manny was in town last week and said how hitting his 500th homer in front of "his" fans was no freudian slip. I think there is an unwritten agreement with MacPhail that Manny will be roaming LF or DH for the Birds next season! ;)

I'm outraged that the O's passed on Smoak and Posey. We don't need any more starting pitching.

This is just as bad as passing on Fielder for Loewen. The reason the Rays are so much better than us is that they've drafted great positional talent. I understand emphasizing pitching, but not to this extent.

I'm livid.

Whoa Nelly! Let's not get carried away. First, PITCHING wins pennants. Yes, we need offense, but pitching is what wins. Ask Earl Weaver and Bobby Cox if you need further proof. Second, the Rays are not "so much better" than us. In fact, they have finished behind us every year! EVERY year! They currently have a better record than us, but that means nothing. That's a two month run. Let's see what happens by September. And truth be told, the Rays have had a #1 or at least VERY high draft pick every single year, and yet STILL have never finished out of the AL East basement. So yes, their future looks bright, but lets not jump the shark and say they are so much better than us before they prove anything.

As for Big Tex, by Christmas, he will either be the biggest Star in Baltimore since Cal, selling TONS of "Baltimore" on the front, Teixeira on the back away Orioles jerseys, OR, he will be the most hated man in town since Glenn Davis! There is no in between. There is no grey. Its black or white on this issue. December 25th, 2008...best Christmas ever, or the signs of a bad 2008 draft. Which will it be?

Archived