Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

Britton isn't getting traded.  With Gray, Verlander, and Darvish on the block, teams are going to be more likely to move top prospects for them than Britton.   I know it is SP vs RP, but when an organization is looking at trades it's hard to think of paying close to the same thing for a closer vs a #2/#1

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Britton isn't getting traded.  With Gray, Verlander, and Darvish on the block, teams are going to be more likely to move top prospects for them than Britton.   I know it is SP vs RP, but when an organization is looking at trades it's hard to think of paying close to the same thing for a closer vs a #2/#1

That's a pretty definitive statement for someone who doesn't have a direct line of communication with the front office. I also seriously doubt Verlander or Darvish get moved. The asking price for both will be sky high. Maybe the Dodgers make a run at one with Kershaw out, but I think the other teams will focus more on Gray since he is under team control for a few years. 

2 hours ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Didn't see this posted in this thread....sorry if I missed it.

http://www.espn.com/blog/mlb/rumors/post/_/id/35967/rumor-central-os-seeking-starting-pitcher

*Ducks*....don't shoot the messenger. Hopefully this doesn't come to fruition

Get ready for this year's version of Scott Feldman, etc.   And it will likely cost dearly from our already pitiful system.  

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

This just isn't true.  The starters cost more in prospects and arguably have less impact in the post season where we have recently seen guys like Miller or Chapman pitching multiple innings on back to back days in big spots.  If verlander is bad in game 2 of a 5 game series you may not see him again.  Britton on the other hand you may see 3 or 4 times in a five game series.  Unless you are Buck and don't play him in the one game playoff...

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Verlander is not a #2 or #1 anymore, and Darvish is a rental.

Plus, the Rockies are one of the teams that are reportedly in on Britton/Brach, and I'm not seeing many (if any) reports linking them to those three starters. They're pen is the big problem for them right now.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Get ready for this year's version of Scott Feldman, etc.   And it will likely cost dearly from our already pitiful system.  

I really don't think so, but we'll see.

I have no problem getting a starter pending on price if it's someone that is actually a decent back end starter OR a guy that has wore out his welcome/needs a change of scenery. That kind of happened with a guy like Robbie Ray for example in DET a couple years ago. Got a change of scenery and although its taken time he now has a ridiculous k rate and is pitching like a high end starter. If we can someone get a piece or pieces like that I'd be ecstatic. Just don't do something stupid and get another Wade Miley/Ubaldo/expiring when its obvious we aren't getting anywhere this year.

• The Orioles are willing to move Zach Britton, but here's their dilemma: In many ways, he's been as dominant as Aroldis Chapman since 2014. And when Chapman was dealt last July -- with a half-season left before free agency -- the Yankees obtained infielder Gleyber Torres, now the No. 3 prospect in the game, according to MLBPipeline.com.

Britton can't be a free agent until after the 2018 season, so Baltimore GM Dan Duquette is justified in asking for a Torres-level prospect, such as Dodgers right-hander Walker Buehler or Astros outfielder Kyle Tucker. But it's not clear if either team will meet that price.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/244528982/tigers-have-decisions-to-make-as-trade-sellers/

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

DD needs to start a bidding war between the Dodgers and Rockies.  

Astros saw him first hand make multiple hitters look foolish. Would put them right there as well.

I get the feeling Rockies are probably more likely to go Brach tbh. They have Holland and they seem very intent on him staying the closer. Think Dodgers could care less about money and want the two closer ordeal with Britton then Jansen to make up one of the best 1-2 punches ever. Not sure I see Rockies paying the price with his large cap hit. We'll see.

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That's a pretty definitive statement for someone who doesn't have a direct line of communication with the front office. I also seriously doubt Verlander or Darvish get moved. The asking price for both will be sky high. Maybe the Dodgers make a run at one with Kershaw out, but I think the other teams will focus more on Gray since he is under team control for a few years. 

I would agree. You are not replacing Kershaw. Over a 162 game season, I can see someone wanting Gray over Britton when they already have a good closer. But in the playoffs, Gray is not a guy who is going to give you 7 shut out innings. They are building for a 5 and 7 game series, and Britton is more valuable in that case. 

Just now, ISU94 said:

Astros saw him first hand make multiple hitters look foolish. Would put them right there as well.

I get the feeling Rockies are probably more likely to go Brach tbh. They have Holland and they seem very intent on him staying the closer. Think Dodgers could care less about money and want the two closer ordeal with Britton then Jansen to make up one of the best 1-2 punches ever. Not sure I see Rockies paying the price with his large cap hit. We'll see.

Brach/Castillo trade to the Rockies could bring back a nice haul.

I don't care what the Dodgers say, they want a Britton/Jansen combo for the playoffs.

Archived