BTB :Britton's low trade value could hurt O's chances of dealing him

Tony-OH

28 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Maybe our manager with one year left here doesn't want to move him.

A manager should have the best interests of the team in mind, not his own selfish interests. Not saying Buck doesn't have the team's best interests in mind, just saying that if your statement is correct, that is a bad way for a manager to operate.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

If Zach could pitch back to back games, then Buck would have made a point of using him in back to back games, just to establish to rival teams that he is not being babied.  Instead Buck is using him every other game, regardless of game situation.  

I simply disagree.    Britton pitched back to back games during his minor league rehab, on June 29-30, to establish he was ready to return to the majors.   Let's look at the games pitched by Britton since his return, and what happened the following day:

July 5 -  pitched in a 4-0 loss just to get his feet wet

July 6 - lost 6-4 so no reason to use him

July 7 - pitched in an 11-6 loss just to keep him loose

July 8 - 5-1 win so no reason to use him

July 9 - pitched in 11-5 win

July 10 - no game; all star break

July 14 - pitched in 9-8 loss where O's made a late comeback

July 15 - O's lost 10-3 so no reason to use him

July 16 - Britton pitched one inning, Brach wasn't used   

July 17 - O's won 3-1; Brach used instead of Britton

July 18 - Britton used

July 19 - O's won 10-2 so no need for Britton

July 20 - Britton used

July 21 - O's were trailing 8-2 going into bottom of 9th so no need for Britton

July 23 - Britton pitches and gets the save.

July 24 - O's win 5-0 so no need for Britton

July 26 - Britton pitches in 5-1 loss

July 27 - no game

Bottom line, the only situation where Britton normally might have pitched two days in a row was on July 17.     Showalter had Brach fresh that day so he used Brach instead.     I don't see how that one incident establishes that the Orioles would be reluctant to use Britton on back to back days if the situation warranted it.    With that one exception, the scores of the games didn't provide logical opportunities to use Britton back to back, and you don't do it just for the hell of it.    If anything, Buck has used Britton in some games he usually wouldn't, just to keep him sharp.     

By the way, the O's have had only 3 save situations during July: the save by Brach on the 17th, the save by Britton on the 23rd, and the blown save by O'Day in the 6th inning on the 22nd.     

We needed Britton, Brach & Oday to come out of the break on fire and none of them did. Brutal luck with ZB. 

We need prospects badly but we may get something better next year in a package that includes ZB than we'll get for him after the tough July he's had. I hope someone rolls the dice but giving up 2 runs to TB is not particularly easy to do, even for Ubaldo. As badly as I want to deal him & Brach, I don't think we can do it now. 

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I simply disagree.    Britton pitched back to back games during his minor league rehab, on June 29-30, to establish he was ready to return to the majors.   Let's look at the games pitched by Britton since his return, and what happened the following day:

July 5 -  pitched in a 4-0 loss just to get his feet wet

July 6 - lost 6-4 so no reason to use him

July 7 - pitched in an 11-6 loss just to keep him loose

July 8 - 5-1 win so no reason to use him

July 9 - pitched in 11-5 win

July 10 - no game; all star break

July 14 - pitched in 9-8 loss where O's made a late comeback

July 15 - O's lost 10-3 so no reason to use him

July 16 - Britton pitched one inning, Brach wasn't used   

July 17 - O's won 3-1; Brach used instead of Britton

July 18 - Britton used

July 19 - O's won 10-2 so no need for Britton

July 20 - Britton used

July 21 - O's were trailing 8-2 going into bottom of 9th so no need for Britton

July 23 - Britton pitches and gets the save.

July 24 - O's win 5-0 so no need for Britton

July 26 - Britton pitches in 5-1 loss

July 27 - no game

Bottom line, the only situation where Britton normally might have pitched two days in a row was on July 17.     Showalter had Brach fresh that day so he used Brach instead.     I don't see how that one incident establishes that the Orioles would be reluctant to use Britton on back to back days if the situation warranted it.    With that one exception, the scores of the games didn't provide logical opportunities to use Britton back to back, and you don't do it just for the hell of it.    If anything, Buck has used Britton in some games he usually wouldn't, just to keep him sharp.     

By the way, the O's have had only 3 save situations during July: the save by Brach on the 17th, the save by Britton on the 23rd, and the blown save by O'Day in the 6th inning on the 22nd.     

Probably shows more than anything why we need to move Britton, Brach, O'day, Castillo, Smith, Kim, etc for prospects.

53 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Showcasing a guy you want to move is a pretty good reason IMHO.

I just don't think Buck has been thinking that way.    He's been trying to win games and have Britton ready to assume his usual role, not to show him off for other teams.    

44 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Maybe our manager with one year left here doesn't want to move him.

exactly. This is where the owner has to come in. A manager and GM with a year left on their contracts are going to do whatever they think gives them the best team now. An owner has to be the one who dictates any rebuilding. Hence, our conundrum!  

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Probably shows more than anything why we need to move Britton, Brach, O'day, Castillo, Smith, Kim, etc for prospects.

Well, it's partly been because a lot of our wins have been by comfortable margins: 7-1, 5-1, 11-5, 12-1, 10-2, 5-0.   Early in the year nearly all our wins were close.     But of course, we also haven't been winning a lot (9-13 in July).

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Is Oday someone anyone would deal for? Expensive and ineffective. 

Are the O's ruling out anything with Givens? He seems like the best chance to get an elite bat or SP prospect. 

1 hour ago, Cumberbundy said:

Are the O's ruling out anything with Givens? He seems like the best chance to get an elite bat or SP prospect. 

We clearly have no intention of re-signing Britton, and are grooming Givens for the closer role.  Stupid to not entertain offers for him, but this is what seems to be the case.

1 minute ago, joelala said:

We clearly have no intention of re-signing Britton, and are grooming Givens for the closer role.  Stupid to not entertain offers for him, but this is what seems to be the case.

Everything that I've read has said that the Orioles have, in fact, entertained offers.  They simply aren't desperate to move him for any offer they get, and would rather keep him than give him away.  What makes you think otherwise?

1 hour ago, Cumberbundy said:

Is Oday someone anyone would deal for? Expensive and ineffective. 

The O's don't make deals like that. I assume it is due to the owner. 

6 minutes ago, joelala said:

I think it's probably that they are willing to entertain offers for Britton, and they just haven't received one that they're comfortable with.  In the end, it'll probably come down to - how low are the O's willing to settle?  My guess - the Dodger$ might be the only reali$tic chance to get a good deal.        

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I think it's probably that they are willing to entertain offers for Britton, and they just haven't received one that they're comfortable with.  In the end, it'll probably come down to - how low are the O's willing to settle?  My guess - the Dodger$ might be the only reali$tic chance to get a good deal.        

It will go down to the wire, I suspect.  Though it shouldn't matter much, it would be nice if Britton got a couple of save opportunities this weekend and came through.

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Everything that I've read has said that the Orioles have, in fact, entertained offers.  They simply aren't desperate to move him for any offer they get, and would rather keep him than give him away.  What makes you think otherwise?

It's a much better idea to wait until the offseason and get the 2017-18 version of Jamile Weeks? O's could have gotten a franchise-shifting deal this past offseason, but that ship has sailed. I don't see his value increasing from whatever it is this deadline. That's if his elbow is ok.  

9 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Hope that's the case, I just get the feeling that he's on the "untouchable" list for some reason.  Maybe I'm putting too much stock in the initial report that came out before the All-star break that had him listed as a player we weren't entertaining offers for.

Archived