Could A Caleb Joseph Trade Yield A Rental Starter?

mdbdotcom

How many backup catchers have put up 4.2 rWAR in four years, still make under $1 million and have 3 years of control remaining?

Seems to me he could be of service to quite a few teams that could benefit by adding a backup catcher who plays the position decently and also hits. Maybe one of them would be happy to trade a league-average starter who is also a pending free agent.

Caleb's biggest drawback at this point would probably be his age (31).

Could trading Caleb enable us to acquire a starting pitching upgrade for the rest of the season without giving up a prospect?

Doubtful.  But trading him should not be out of the question.  Cisco looks close and Wynns could be a back up soon.  He could return value, but probably not something for this year.

The Orioles seem as adept at developing catchers as they are bullpen arms.  Not every team can do that and it's a position of special importance for a lot of teams.

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Caleb needs to be here to mentor and backup Sisco for the next couple of  years. 

Sisco has to improve his throwing or he may never be a catcher for the O's.   Right now I think Wynns is ahead of Sisco in getting a promotion as a catcher.  We may see Sisco in the majors as a hitter in September but not as a catcher.

Did you ever think he's not a backup catcher? Caleb is a cost controlled catcher for the next few seasons who knows how to mentor young pitchers and catchers. I'd move Castillo today for a rental starter but not Caleb.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Did you ever think he's not a backup catcher? Caleb is a cost controlled catcher for the next few seasons who knows how to mentor young pitchers and catchers. I'd move Castillo today for a rental starter but not Caleb.

I'd move Castillo for a 24 year old low A ball bat boy.

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Me too.    Trading Caleb for a rental would be insane.    

Trading Joseph as part of a rebuild might make sense.  After all, he is one month younger than Matt Wieters and would not be part of a youth movement.  But, yeah, trading him for a rental really doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I'm with Tony. I wouldn't make Caleb available at all. He is great backup that can start if need be in the short term while being a great guy for the pitchers. With Sisco almost here he should do wonders for him too. 

27 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Trading Joseph as part of a rebuild might make sense.  After all, he is one month younger than Matt Wieters and would not be part of a youth movement.  But, yeah, trading him for a rental really doesn't make sense.

I'd hate to lose Joseph, but if the team was going to go full blown rebuild and the right deal came along, I'd move him too. Saying that, I don't think this team is going to do much and it's definitely not going to rebuild at the deadline. This little mini winning streak will make the FO think they can compete. I just hope they don't go the other way and try and move some cost controlled piece for a 5th starter rental guy.

Archived