Manny's Glove

BohKnowsBmore

Early this year there were some folks who claimed that Manny looked like he had declined defensively. I didn't agree with it then, but I think it's really tough to make that claim now. Over the last few weeks it seems like Manny has been playing like peak platinum glove Manny at the hot corner.  Between triple plays, diving catches and cannon throws to first, he simply has been playing awesome defensively. 

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

Early this year there were some folks who claimed that Manny looked like he had declined defensively. I didn't agree with it then, but I think it's really tough to make that claim now. Over the last few weeks it seems like Manny has been playing like peak platinum glove Manny at the hot corner.  Between triple plays, diving catches and cannon throws to first, he simply has been playing awesome defensively. 

He seems more focused.  He wasn't failing to provide the highlight play earlier in the year so much as the routine play wasn't being made 100% of the time.

I love how he smiles after he makes some of his throws, looks like he's having more fun again. I could happily grow old watching Manny & Schoop together for the next decade. Beckham appears to have a personality that clicks with theirs but I suppose anyone's would when you're hitting HRs every night. Manny is up to greet him each time he gets to the dugout. 

Britton smiles more than any closer I've ever seen. He fired that ball over to Davis to end the 8th & started laughing. The smiling Os, the charm city Birds. 

8 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

I love how he smiles after he makes some of his throws, looks like he's having more fun again. I could happily grow old watching Manny & Schoop together for the next decade. Beckham appears to have a personality that clicks with theirs but I suppose anyone's would when you're hitting HRs every night. Manny is up to greet him each time he gets to the dugout. 

Britton smiles more than any closer I've ever seen. He fired that ball over to Davis to end the 8th & started laughing. The smiling Os, the charm city Birds. 

That was crazy - Davis held the ball out in front of him and wondered how he caught it!  Also some of the plays Schoop makes with the glove as well as the arm are to me outstanding, but all he gets here is lousy UZR, slow afoot and bad hands.  Stat wise he sucks but I love watching him.  Enjoy it while it's good!  Today it may all come crashing down again in webrick angst...

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

That was crazy - Davis held the ball out in front of him and wondered how he caught it!  Also some of the plays Schoop makes with the glove as well as the arm are to me outstanding, but all he gets here is lousy UZR, slow afoot and bad hands.  Stat wise he sucks but I love watching him.  Enjoy it while it's good!  Today it may all come crashing down again in webrick angst...

Baldo is the least predictable pitcher I've ever seen. How he came up with that delivery ? looks painful...

Wind blowing out, Anibal isn't very good, we may need a nice Sunday outburst. 

On the Britton throw I think he said "it's all wet" & just tried to hold his laughter in. A few times he's gone over to cover first and laughed after making the play. I believe he told Joseph, in the Milw series, that he may never throw a strike again and laughed. He & Mancini are nearly impossible not to like. 

Manny is an awesome 3B.    His ability to throw rockets even when his momentum is going away from his target and he can't step into the throw is jaw dropping.    And I'm continually amazed at how quickly he can get rid of the ball when he needs to.    The DP's he and Schoop turn are amazing to behold.    

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

One interesting thing about Schoop will be what happens this offseason should he stay hot with the bat. I imagine he'll be written about by the folks at fangraphs and other outlets. I wonder how they'll approach his defense. 

4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

One interesting thing about Schoop will be what happens this offseason should he stay hot with the bat. I imagine he'll be written about by the folks at fangraphs and other outlets. I wonder how they'll approach his defense

Limited range, so-so hands, solid tagger, strong arm, turns the double play well.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Limited range, so-so hands, solid tagger, strong arm, turns the double play well.

I think you may be overly willing to accept UZR, etc. as closer-to-perfect than they actually are.  I think Schoop is one of those guys that should make you question the models a little bit, or wonder what may not be adequately captured in terms of value.  My question was more regarding whether Fangraphs, etc. will simply look at his dWAR and think of it as gospel or have a more intellectually curious approach.

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I think you may be overly willing to accept UZR, etc. as closer-to-perfect than they actually are.  I think Schoop is one of those guys that should make you question the models a little bit, or wonder what may not be adequately captured in terms of value.  My question was more regarding whether Fangraphs, etc. will simply look at his dWAR and think of it as gospel or have a more intellectually curious approach.

Did you see me quote any of those stats?

That was just my opinion after watching him play for a few years.

Are you trying to say that he's a rangy second baseman?

4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

What is it about Schoop's defense that makes you think an intellectually curious approach is warranted?  Is he such a unique beast at second?

You ever read this piece?  I posted a link to it when it was published:

https://www.baseballessential.com/news/2015/08/12/jonathan-schoop-redefine-second-base-position/

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

The original post you quoted was considering how FG, etc. will treat schoop, who seems to conflict with the defensive metrics when you watch him.  I got the sense you were justifying/supporting his dWAR as currently calculated.

You could have simply added your second sentence to clear up any confusion (as you bolded "I wonder how they'll approach his defense.").

When did I say he was rangy???

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

The original post you quoted was considering how FG, etc. will treat schoop, who seems to conflict with the defensive metrics when you watch him.  I got the sense you were justifying/supporting his dWAR as currently calculated.

You could have simply added your second sentence to clear up any confusion (as you bolded "I wonder how they'll approach his defense.").

When did I say he was rangy???

You didn't.  If you did I wouldn't have had to ask.  ;)

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

What is it about Schoop's defense that makes you think an intellectually curious approach is warranted?  Is he such a unique beast at second?

You ever read this piece?  I posted a link to it when it was published:

https://www.baseballessential.com/news/2015/08/12/jonathan-schoop-redefine-second-base-position/

Because he does things, namely turn the DP, that isn't particularly well-captured or measured.

Let's flip your statement around here for a second... Would you advocate taking an intellectually lazier approach?

And no, I have not read it, I will take a look.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

FWIW that play he just made in the top of the first was nice, going to his right :)

Archived