What's the most you'd offer any of Hardy, Jimenez, Miley, or Tillman to return?

FanSince88

All four of these guys are currently negative WAR and they're likely to finish the season as such.  Some may have more excuses than others.  

Would you be willing to bring any of these guys back next year?  If so, what's the most you'd pay to do so?  Minor league deal?  1 year, 2 million? 1/3? 1/4? A very, very cheap multi-year deal, even?  

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

All four of these guys are currently negative WAR and they're likely to finish the season as such.  Some may have more excuses than others.  

Would you be willing to bring any of these guys back next year?  If so, what's the most you'd pay to do so?  Minor league deal?  1 year, 2 million? 1/3? 1/4? A very, very cheap multi-year deal, even?  

I wouldn't bring any of those four back. 

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Only Tillman on a cheap one year prove it deal.

Agreed.  I think he's still got some years in him, this year has just been a bust from the start for Tillman.  Give him an offseason to rest that shoulder and see how he looks in the spring.  

I think JJ's done, but depending on how Beckham looks I'd consider looking at JJ in camp to see if he has another year in him.

No interest at all in either Jiminez or Miley.

No personal interest in bringing any of these guys back. I wouldn't be upset with a one year "prove it" deal for Tillman, but IMO he would have to earn a spot in next years rotation in spring training. And I would be quick to show him the door if Tillman can't recapture his effectiveness - no way in hell I let a repeat of this season happen in 2018.

First, I want to see what happens the rest of the year.     If Tillman shows signs of improvement, I'd consider offering him a cheap base deal with incentives.     I don't want the others back.    I love Hardy, but don't think a utility role works for him.    

I wouldn't mind bringing Miley back on the cheap.  He's had control issues this year obviously, but the stuff is there, he's had his best fastball velocity since 2014, I could see him having a chance to be a solid backend guy, and he'd probably be available for 1 year, 5-6 million.

Just now, Bahama O's Fan said:

If the coaching staff believed Tillman is suffering due to nagging injuries, this would be the time to sign him to a three year deal for cheap.

If it was really cheap, I worry about the O's tendency to reward past performance when resigning players rather than paying for expected future performance.  

Tillman on a minor league contract or a very low base major league contract with incentives.   I would explore a cheap contract for Hardy.   He is probably better than Flaherty or  Tejada defensively.   I don't know if he would want a  utility job though. Hardy would probably be like a player/coach.

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I think Ubaldo owes us a free year

I'm still holding out hope that Ubaldo goes on one of his little tears to close the season. He helped pitch us into the wild card game last year, maybe he can do it again..

That said, no thanks next year.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tillman on a minor league contract or a very low base major league contract with incentives.   I would explore a cheap contract for Hardy.   He is probably better than Flaherty or  Tejada defensively.   I don't know if he would want a  utility job though. Hardy would probably be like a player/coach.

Problem is that JJ is a SS.  Has he ever even played an inning at another position in the majors?  He doesn't strike me as a guy that you could move around to various positions at this stage of his career.  I'd bring him in on a minor league deal to see how he looks.  He can still field, but we can't carry his bat all year next year if that's all he has left.

11 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

No to all four. Need younger healthier players. Guys that you traded your expensive near FA assets for.... oops we didn't make any of those trades

Did we get offered close to major league pitchers for those assets? Full us in on who we missed out on. I'm looking forward to following their careers.

Archived