Chris Davis Has Cleared Revocable waivers

section18

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/08/players-that-have-cleared-revocable-waivers.html

Chris Davis, 1B, Orioles (link): Davis, 31, no longer resembles the force of nature he was at the plate before the Orioles handed him a seven-year, $161MM contract leading up to the 2016 campaign. They included a partial no-trade clause in the accord, but the contract itself has essentially become a full NTC thanks to Davis’ decline. Realistically, Baltimore’s stuck with him.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, weams said:

I agree. As all FA long term deals, it's a stinker. 

Not a fair statement to group Davis' deal in with the others.  The atrocity of the Davis deal is another level and was universally criticized at the time of the deal.  

Other position players that got overpaid like this typically had some good years at the front end of the contract. We are not going to even get that it appears. 

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Not a fair statement to group Davis' deal in with the others.  The atrocity of the Davis deal is another level and was universally criticized at the time of the deal.  

Other position players that got overpaid like this typically had some good years at the front end of the contract. We are not going to even get that it appears. 

There are a few deals that are probably worse than Davis'.     Davis has been worth 3.2 rWAR so far, and it's hard to know if he'll be net positive WAR or negative in the future.    But here's a few stinkers:

- Ryan Howard, $125 mm, -4.5 rWAR.

- Carl Crawford, $142 mm, 3.4 rWAR.

- Prince Fielder, $214 mm, 7.0 rWAR.

- Matt Kemp, $160 mm, 3.9 rWAR (one year remaining).

- Josh Hamilton, $125 mm, 3.4 rWAR.

Just now, Frobby said:

There are a few deals that are probably worse than Davis'.     Davis has been worth 3.2 rWAR so far, and it's hard to know if he'll be net positive WAR or negative in the future.    But here's a few stinkers:

The difference is that they were at least premium players before their deals

Chris Davis hit .196 in 2014, and yet the O's signed him to a 6 year deal as if there was no risk of the 2014 Davis re-surfacing. I'm guessing he is the only guy in baseball history to go from a .196 season to a 20+ million dollar a year contract one year removed from a sub .200 hitting season.

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

The difference is that they were at least premium players before their deals

Chris Davis hit .196 in 2014, and yet the O's signed him to a 6 year deal as if there was no risk of the 2014 Davis re-surfacing. I'm guessing he is the only guy in baseball history to go from a .196 season to a 20+ million dollar a year contract one year removed from a sub .200 hitting season.

Probably true.   By the way, it's a 7 year deal, not 6.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So it will be among the worst in major league history.  I'd be surprised if Davis didn't have some negative WAR numbers in the last few years of that contract.  

My point being, is that there have been dozens of long term contracts signed and Davis will be among the worst by the end.  Three of those guys you listed were signed by the Dodgers by the way, who play with monopoly money.  Also, not fair IMO to include Hamilton and Fielder in there because of injuries.

The Orioles should have known what they were getting into. But when a non-baseball person calls the shots, I guess these things happen. 

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Probably true.   By the way, it's a 7 year deal, not 6.

Imagine if this was a five year deal, as it should have been with no other offers on the table.  Still bad, but at least you see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We'd only be looking at three more years. It's completely dark in there right now. 

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Imagine if this was a five year deal, as it should have been with no other offers on the table.  Still bad, but at least you see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We'd only be looking at three more years. It's completely dark in there right now. 

Yup...when he was a free agent, I had thought that 5 years would be the most I would go...and would have preferred 4.   

18 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

So it will be among the worst in major league history.  I'd be surprised if Davis didn't have some negative WAR numbers in the last few years of that contract.  

My point being, is that there have been dozens of long term contracts signed and Davis will be among the worst by the end.  Three of those guys you listed were signed by the Dodgers by the way, who play with monopoly money.  Also, not fair IMO to include Hamilton and Fielder in there because of injuries.

The Orioles should have known what they were getting into. But when a non-baseball person calls the shots, I guess these things happen. 

It wasn't a non-baseball person that made this decision from everything I've heard. It was a baseball person, just not Duquette.

Archived