Which of the following players will not be on the 2018 opening day 40 man O's roster?

wildcard

No matter how well he does in Spring Training, I would rather have another full year of Hays in his prime. Play the service time game and bring him up after 2-6 weeks at Norfolk. 

Probably the same with Mullins. 

It just doesn't  make sense for players to make their MLB roster debut in Opening Day. It cost the Orioles millions of dollars with Markakis.

16 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

No matter how well he does in Spring Training, I would rather have another full year of Hays in his prime. Play the service time game and bring him up after 2-6 weeks at Norfolk. 

Probably the same with Mullins. 

It just doesn't  make sense for players to make their MLB roster debut in Opening Day. It cost the Orioles millions of dollars with Markakis.

I agree. I just don't see Mullins and Hays both being regulars next year unless they move someone. 

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

Putting aside the issue of whether Hays is ready to jump directly from AA to the majors, I think the "I don't want him in Harbor Park" argument is mistounded.     Harbor Park tamps down offensive production -- so what?     Everyone knows it, and it's taken into account when players are evaluated.    When players graduate from there and move to OPACY, they think they've died and gone to heaven. I'd say it makes the transition to the majors easier -- the pitchers are tougher but the park is easier.    

Frankly, if anyone playing in Harbor Park worries me at all, it's the pitchers.     It's too easy to get away with being a fly ball pitcher there and pitchers may fall into patterns and habits that lead to trouble when they get to the majors.   

What is mistounded?  Never seen the word before.

19 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Wow..we have a lot of deadwood...under no circumstances do I see Tillman here next year. Ditto on Yacabonis, Crichton, Wright, Faulkner, Asher, Miley, (not listed) and Rickard.

Why would Rickard not be on the 40-man roster? Provides roster flexibility (optionable) and solid defense.

On 8/18/2017 at 11:11 AM, Frobby said:

Putting aside the issue of whether Hays is ready to jump directly from AA to the majors, I think the "I don't want him in Harbor Park" argument is mistounded.     Harbor Park tamps down offensive production -- so what?     Everyone knows it, and it's taken into account when players are evaluated.    When players graduate from there and move to OPACY, they think they've died and gone to heaven. I'd say it makes the transition to the majors easier -- the pitchers are tougher but the park is easier.    

Frankly, if anyone playing in Harbor Park worries me at all, it's the pitchers.     It's too easy to get away with being a fly ball pitcher there and pitchers may fall into patterns and habits that lead to trouble when they get to the majors.   

Murph says you mean unfounded.  I don't know if that is what you meant but if it is you are 99% wrong.

The O's began their relationship with the Norfolk Tides in 2007.  In 10+ years and over 150 position players to play there they  have produced  "one " successful everyday position  player - Trey Mancini.  Count 'em ---One.

O's position players that are good go to Bowie and then skip Norfolk like Wieters. Manny and Schoop.  So that is the path I want to see Hayes take.  Finish the season as Bowie.  Play in the  playoffs, come to spring  training and win a spot in the O's outfield.

2 other O's  players have some association with the Tides.  Reimold  who mostly was a bench player or DLer for the O's.   And Caleb played a few games at Norfolk.  But he did nothing there to get called up.  He played 434 games for the Baysox.   That is were he learned to catch and hit.    He spent a month at Norfolk, Wieters got hurt and he was called to the majors.

So your statement  of  "Mistounded"  "Misfounded" or Unfounded is way off.  The O's do better sending everyday players for Bowie to the O's then for Norfolk to the O's.   You can look it up.

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Murph says you mean unfounded.  I don't know if that is what you meant but if it is you are 99% wrong.

The O's began their relationship with the Norfolk Tides in 2007.  In 10+ years and over 150 position players to play there they  have produced  "one " successful everyday position  player - Trey Mancini.  Count 'em ---One.

O's position players that are good go to Bowie and then skip Norfolk like Wieters. Manny and Schoop.  So that is the path I want to see Hayes take.  Finish the season as Bowie.  Play in the  playoffs, come to spring  training and win a spot in the O's outfield.

2 other O's  players have some association with the Tides.  Reimold  who mostly was a bench player or DLer for the O's.   And Caleb played a few games at Norfolk.  But he did nothing there to get called up.  He played 434 games for the Baysox.   That is were he learned to catch and hit.    He spent a month at Norfolk, Wieters got hurt and he was called to the majors.

So your statement  of  "Mistounded"  "Misfounded" or Unfounded is way off.  The O's do better sending everyday players for Bowie to the O's then for Norfolk to the O's.   You can look it up.

Schoop did not skip Norfolk.     He had a full season there, though interrupted with some injuries.    In any event, I absolutely reject the idea that playing in Norfolk hurts our hitters' ability to succeed in the majors.    Whether some guys can skip that step is another story.    

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Meh, I don't think one thing proves the other. The Orioles haven't produced many position players, certainly doesn't prove that Norfolk is the issue. Also Schoop spent all of 2013 with Norfolk (minus injury rehab appearances) so he didn't skip Norfolk at all.

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Schoop did not skip Norfolk.     He had a full season there, though interrupted with some injuries.    In any event, I absolutely reject the idea that playing in Norfolk hurts our hitters' ability to succeed in the majors.    Whether some guys can skip that step is another story.    

Ok, I messed up on Schoop.  He did go to Norfolk.  And he should have because he did not hit well at Bowie.   

But I still don't agree about Hayes going to Norfolk.   He is kliling the ball at AA.   There is really no reason for him to go to Norfolk.   He is  hitting for average and power and he is a plus defender from what I have read.    There is nothing Unfounded about saying I don't want t see Hayes at Harbor Park.   He should be in Camden Yards.    He will either prove me right or wrong in ST     I think he is a good bet.

Wieters and Manny went from Bowie to the O's and helped the team.  I am putting Hayes in that category.

55 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Ok, I messed up on Schoop.  He did go to Norfolk.  And he should have because he did not hit well at Bowie.   

But I still don't agree about Hayes going to Norfolk.   He is kliling the ball at AA.   There is really no reason for him to go to Norfolk.   He is  hitting for average and power and he is a plus defender from what I have read.    There is nothing Unfounded about saying I don't want t see Hayes at Harbor Park.   He should be in Camden Yards.    He will either prove me right or wrong in ST     I think he is a good bet.

Wieters and Manny went from Bowie to the O's and helped the team.  I am putting Hayes in that category.

Wieters played in Norfolk for two months.     I'd like to see Hays there at least long enough to keep him an extra season.    

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wieters played in Norfolk for two months.     I'd like to see Hays there at least long enough to keep him an extra season.    

I think it would be fine if Hayes spend a few weeks in Norfolk to allow the O's to keep him for an additional season.   But I still am betting that he has a good spring which helps him spend most of the season with the O's.  He has too much to offer to keep him down much longer.

Archived