Get Rid Of The Rubber Warning Track - NOW

section18

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anyone look and see if a disproportionate number of ground rule doubles are actually hit at OPACY?

I'm not aware of any stats kept on ground rule doubles.     I'd guess that artificial turf parks have the most.

34 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Put a hill in. We don't want to be exactly like Houston so make our hill out of air.

Of course the real solution is raising the wall.

The fans on the other side of it probably wouldn't appreciate it!

I've seen ground rule doubles that bounce into the stands at least 5 times this season and I don't attend or see every game. It was hit by an Oriole every time.  There are more I'm sure. Buck would probably be able to tell you every final game score, every player that hit the ball and every team we were playing this happened against and if we were able to win or did it cost us like it did today. There has to be an easy solution. Maybe the way they drag the infield they can drag the warning track. Sometime during the game with something wet to keep the ball from bouncing so high.

i

6 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

The ground-rule double is the dumbest thing in sports. Why don't the umpires have discretion to place the runners like they do in every other situation where the ball ends up out of play?

Sorry, but this isn't true.  The rules are clearly prescribed for most situations.  A fair batted ball that clears the fence in the air is a four base award (home run.)  One that hits in the field of play and then bounces out of play is a two base award (ground rule double.)  On a pitched ball that goes out of play all runners are awarded one base from where they were at the time of the pitch.  It doesn't matter if they were stealing or not.  A throw on the first infield play that goes out of play all runners advance two bases from the base they started at at the time of the pitch.  Does not matter if they were stealing or not.  All other throws all runners are awarded two bases from the last base attained at the time of the throw.  It doesn't matter which direction they were headed at the time of the throw.  None of these are up to the discretion of the umpire.  It is, however, umpire's judgment as to what the last base attained for each runner is.  The rare plays that bring umpire's discretion into play are plays that either involve some type of interference, usually fan interference, or involve an intentional act (as in the fielder intentionally kicked a ball out of play in an attempt to hold all runners to two bases.)

1 hour ago, Cumberbundy said:

The dumbest rules:

Going to first after striking out on a pb or wp & an out being called if a fielder falls over the fence to rob a home run. If you & the ball go over, that shouldn't be an out, that's absurd.

They aren't dumb.  Both have reasons. 

By rule, an out involves a player being put out.  On a strike out, that normally involves the catcher catching the pitch in the air.  If he fails to do so, the batter must be tagged out or thrown out before reaching first base.  I'm not sure why you would think that is dumb, but it certainly won't be changing.

A fielder is in the field of play until he has landed out of play.  A batted ball that is caught in the field of play is an out.  If the fielder then leaves the field of play with the ball and it isn't the third out, the ball is then dead after the out and any runners on base are awarded one base.  "Catch and carry."  If the player has left the field, meaning already landed out of play, prior to catching the ball, the ball is dead and it is a home run, if fair, and a foul ball if not fair.  These are the rules and they make sense.

9 hours ago, Number5 said:

By rule, an out involves a player being put out.  On a strike out, that normally involves the catcher catching the pitch in the air.  If he fails to do so, the batter must be tagged out or thrown out before reaching first base.  I'm not sure why you would think that is dumb, but it certainly won't be changing.

A fielder is in the field of play until he has landed out of play.  A batted ball that is caught in the field of play is an out.  If the fielder then leaves the field of play with the ball and it isn't the third out, the ball is then dead after the out and any runners on base are awarded one base.  "Catch and carry."  If the player has left the field, meaning already landed out of play, prior to catching the ball, the ball is dead and it is a home run, if fair, and a foul ball if not fair.  These are the rules and they make sense.

I wasn't asking a question. The rules are stupid. If you'd like to know why the strike rule actually exists you can go find an article I shared about it rather than make up something you believe to be true and passing it off as knowledge. 

9 hours ago, Number5 said:

Enjoy.

https://sabr.org/research/dropped-third-strike-life-and-times-rule

28 posts into this thread and I've got to be the first to say it?

Trumbo's hit yesterday was not a "ground rule double" -- it was by rule an automatic double. Ground rule doubles are hits that involve aspects of the playing area that are unique to that field, such as the ivy at Wrigley or gaps or holes in walls, fences, or the infield tarp where the ball might get lodged out of easy reach for a fielder. An automatic double is any fair ball that leaves the field of play  (usually by bouncing over the outfield fence) while not being ruled a home run.

To quote the famous Cedric Daniels:  "I'm embarrassed for ya'll"

Archived