September Call Ups

NCRaven

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Buck wants to see Sisco face major league pitching.

I think he gets called up as the third catcher.

They have added a 3rd catcher in the past.  But I wonder if he throws well enough to be considered a defensive catcher.  Someone as to be DFA'd to get him on the roster.  If they send him to Sarasota he will be there in case of injury and not have to DFA anyone for him to just sit on the bench.  I doubt he plays over Joseph and Castillo.

I think Wynns is a better catcher to be added after the AA playoffs are over.  He can hit, catch and throw.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They have added a 3rd catcher in the past.  But I wonder if he throws well enough to be considered a defensive catcher.  Someone as to be DFA'd to get him on the roster.  If they send him to Sarasota he will be there in case of injury and not have to DFA anyone for him to just sit on the bench.  I doubt he plays over Joseph and Castillo.

I think Wynns is a better catcher to be added after the AA playoffs are over.  He can hit, catch and throw.

If the O's didn't think he could stick at catcher wouldn't they have traded him or moved him off the position by now?

I expect the O's to be far enough out that winning games is no longer the chief priority.  Also he could learn a lot even if he doesn't get into many games.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You would still lose 2 months or so of him at some point.

I'd rather extend the good ones early than worry about the seventh year.

Absolutely - that's a direction Id love to see us go. I don't know the super 2 rule well at all, the fact that the Cubs kept Bryant down made it seem more significant than I had assumed it was. Why was a team with that much money worried about it? I'm likely missing an aspect of it.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the O's didn't think he could stick at catcher wouldn't they have traded him or moved him off the position by now?

I expect the O's to be far enough out that winning games is no longer the chief priority.  Also he could learn a lot even if he doesn't get into many games.

Sisco is 22 and in his first year at AAA.   Catchers can take some time to develop defensively.  I can see him playing at AAA next year to start the season.  There is still time to move him to left field if they need to.

23 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Absolutely - that's a direction Id love to see us go. I don't know the super 2 rule well at all, the fact that the Cubs kept Bryant down made it seem more significant than I had assumed it was. Why was a team with that much money worried about it? I'm likely missing an aspect of it.

*cracks knuckles*

A few of the most important things to know about Arbitration.

1. Arbitration awards are, to a large degree, awarded based off comps of peers.  Someone like Trout probably would have been screwed to some degree in the arbitration process due to a lack of comps.
  2. Arbitration awards feed off of one another.  Whatever a guy is awarded in the first year is the base they are working off the next year.  This becomes more worrisome when a player have four chances at arbitration instead of three.
  3. There is a limit to how much a player's salary can be reduced.  Let's say Caleb's 2017 and 2016 seasons were reversed.  He gets awarded 4M in arbitration at the end of the 2016 season.  In 2017 he doesn't get a single RBI and hits like my dead grandmother.  The O's can't offer him 2M in arbitration.  There is a set amount they can reduce his salary by, a maximum of 20% (I hope I remembered that correctly).

By being a super 2 a quality player might end up making say 10M more over the time period.  Even for an MLB team is an extra month on the team worth 10M?

See if I got the rules right.  If the O's like Wynns as much as the Hangout posters do, I think it'd make sense to bring him up in September over Sisco.  They'll need to put Wynns on the 40 man roster anyway for the Rule 5 draft - whether or not he's brought up in September.  And Sisco doesn't need to be protected from Rule 5 and put on the 40 man roster unless he is brought up in September, so why not keep more roster flexiblity in case there's someone available in Rule 5?

Then again, maybe we only have 36 or so players we really feel we need to protect - so might as well bring up Sisco - as adding him to the 40 doesn't do any real harm.    

4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

See if I got the rules right.  If the O's like Wynns as much as the Hangout posters do, I think it'd make sense to bring him up in September over Sisco.  They'll need to put Wynns on the 40 man roster anyway for the Rule 5 draft - whether or not he's brought up in September.  And Sisco doesn't need to be protected from Rule 5 and put on the 40 man roster unless he is brought up in September, so why not keep more roster flexiblity in case there's someone available in Rule 5?

Then again, maybe we only have 36 or so players we really feel we need to protect - so might as well bring up Sisco - as adding him to the 40 doesn't do any real harm.    

It is certainly possible it ends up that way.

12 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Sisco has 5 years of minor league service.  He will need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft this off season.

41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sisco has 5 years of minor league service.  He will need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft this off season.

My bad.  For some reason I was thinking this is his 3rd year.  Thanks for the correction.  

Thanks to CoC for the eduction in this thread.  

My potential call ups:

Currently on 40

Joey Rickard (OF)
Jimmy Yacabonis (RP)
Mike Wright (SP)
Donnie Hart (RP)
Stefan Crichton (RP)
Jayson Aquino/Chris Lee (RP) *Either one. Both are left handed, so...*

Not currently on 40

Pedro Alvarez (Uh...DH. Yeah, DH)
Johnny Giavotella/Drew Dosch (IF) *If Johnny G is still hurt, Dosch might get the nod*
Mike Yastrzemski/Chris Dickerson (OF) *I strongly believe one of them will be added for defense late. Yaz is Rule 5 and Dickerson is a friend of Adam Jones*
Austin Wynns/Chance Sisco (C) *Now, there are two things that could happen. Both could be added, with Sisco coming up first as his season will be over sooner if Bowie makes the playoffs and is Rule 5 eligible. Wynns is RUle 5 eligible and HIGHLY thought of by Buck for his defense and his hitting has picked up. 4 catchers might seem like an extreme, but you could see Sisco PH late and Wynns be a defensive replacement. There is also a chance of Beef or Caleb getting nicked up. The one thing that might hurt (or help) Wynns is a deep playoff run by Bowie, which would take up half of September. That might make him not get a look due to extremely limited time. There is also a chance Beef gets sent to another team on a waiver deal. You never know.*

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

They could send Hays and Mullins to the Sarasota taxi squad  after the AA playoff are over in case of injury.   I think that is where Sisco will go.

Probably what will happen with them two. 

As far as guys not on the 40 man, 

Pena- 3rd C

Vet Pinch Runner/Def sub "Bourn type" Logan Schafer????

R.Rodriguez- RHP, b2b seasons of success in AAA

Scott, Sisco, Long- Maybe they get a look because I "think???" we have to add them in the offseason anyway. 

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

I like Wynns, and he's had a breakout year at age 26.     I think he has a future as a major league backup catcher.   But there is a reason why  all the prospect ranking services have Sisco at the top of our prospect list and Wynns outside the top 10.     If either is called up in September, I expect it will be Sisco.    I'm not sure either will be called up, however.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I like Wynns, and he's had a breakout year at age 26.     I think he has a future as a major league backup catcher.   But there is a reason why  all the prospect ranking services have Sisco at the top of our prospect list and Wynns outside the top 10.     If either is called up in September, I expect it will be Sisco.    I'm not sure either will be called up, however.    

And there is a reason why Mancini never was ranked high by the ranking service.  Ratings lean heavy towards high draft choices and younger players.   That doesn't mean players that aren't high draft choices and are a little older can't be successful.

On 8/23/2017 at 4:12 PM, Three Run Homer said:

There's no room for Mullins or Hays on this team.  Santander should be getting any stray at bats in the outfield or at DH.  

I ask for permission to revise and extend my remarks...I now think the O's should call up Hays and put him in RF against lefties the rest of the season.  Yes, you are messing with his arbitration clock and he would take up a spot on the 40 man roster sooner than necessary.  But the O's have a real chance to make the playoffs now (much more than they did a week ago), and Austin Hays has potential to be an impact bat immediately, particularly against lefties (1.212 OPS against LHP at Bowie).  

Look at what Rhys Hoskins and Cody Bellinger have done this season--or what Trey Mancini did last September.  If you can rake, you can rake from day one.  His defense in RF also gets good reviews.  Of course the O's have to listen to their scouts--if they think that he has holes that will be exploited by major league pitchers, then keep him at Bowie, but the numbers suggest otherwise.  

Having Hays instead of Craig Gentry or Joey Rickard in the lineup could mean a couple of extra wins down the stretch, which could mean the difference between making the playoffs and not.  

Archived