September Call Ups

NCRaven

“I know there are at least a couple guys that we’re considering that aren’t on the roster currently,” Showalter said.

Buck quoted by Roch today.

Why in hell would you waste an extra year of service time to call up a promising player that isn't on the 40 man roster?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

“I know there are at least a couple guys that we’re considering that aren’t on the roster currently,” Showalter said.

Buck quoted by Roch today.

Why in hell would you waste an extra year of service time to call up a promising player that isn't on the 40 man roster?

How are you losing a year of service time?

Assuming that we're talking someone like Mullins or Hays, it would start the service clock early.  Would also cause us to drop another player off the 40 man.

If you're talking someone like Chris Johnson or Pedro Alvarez, you're right, no problem.  Except that that still causes us to drop another player.

Just now, NCRaven said:

Assuming that we're talking someone like Mullins or Hays, it would start the service clock early.  Would also cause us to drop another player off the 40 man.

If you're talking someone like Chris Johnson or Pedro Alvarez, you're right, no problem.  Except that that still causes us to drop another player.

You are right about the 40 man.

As for service time, you would still get the full six years say, 2018-2023, just like they are getting with Schoop.  Now if you want the 6+ years they got with Wieters what you have to do is call them up in September but start them in Norfolk next year and call them up around June first.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As for service time, you would still get the full six years say, 2018-2023, just like they are getting with Schoop.  Now if you want the 6+ years they got with Wieters what you have to do is call them up in September but start them in Norfolk next year and call them up around June first.

That's what I mean.  That 7th year is too valuable to give up for some playing time in September.

Here are the candidates I think the O's would bring up September 1-4th:    Asher, Hart. Yacabonis, Crichton, Wright and Rickard are all on the 40 man roster.

Pedro, Chris Johnson and Wotherspoon that are not  on the 40 man roster. 

Nuno has been DFA'd probably to make room for Hardy.  Others that may be DFA'd are Aquino, Ynoa. Verrett and Wilson who are all out of options next year.

With Hardy and Flaherty being on the roster  I don't see infielders being promoted. 

The Baysox will hopefully be in the playoff until Sept 16th.  I agree the Hays and Mullins are unlikely to be added to the roster this year since they are protected from the Rule 5 draft by not having enough minor league service time to qualify.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We can call Hays up in September and still get the 6+? Encyclopedia CoC. 

32 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

There's no room for Mullins or Hays on this team.  Santander should be getting any stray at bats in the outfield or at DH.  

We have very little from the left side, if Jones were to get injured I think Mullins may offer the most as a replacement. He's made some spectacular defensive plays the last few days that no one on this roster would make but Adam. 

Hays is a machine, I'd have to see him fail to believe it's a possibility.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Here are the candidates I think the O's would bring up September 1-4th:    Asher, Hart. Yacabonis, Crichton, Wright are all on the 40 man roster.

Pedro, Chris Johnson and Wotherspoon that are not  on the 40 man roster. 

Nuno has been DFA'd probably to make room for Hardy.  Others that may be DFA'd are Aquino, Ynoa. Verrett and Wilson who are all out of options next year.

With Hardy and Flaherty being on the roster  I don't see infielders being promoted. 

The Baysox will hopefully be in the playoff until Sept 16th.  I agree the Hays and Mullins are unlikely to be added to the roster this year since they are protected from the Rule 5 draft by not having enough minor league service time to qualify.

What about Scott? If we brought him up would it impact his clock or would that depend on where he starts next spring?

2 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

We have very little from the left side, if Jones were to get injured I think Mullins may offer the most as a replacement. He's made some spectacular defensive plays the last few days that no one on this roster would make but Adam. 

Hays is a machine, I'd have to see him fail to believe it's a possibility.

They could send Hays and Mullins to the Sarasota taxi squad  after the AA playoff are over in case of injury.   I think that is where Sisco will go.

Archived