September Call Ups

NCRaven

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Unless Sisco has to be added in the offseason to the 40 man to avoid the rule 5 draft, I don't see him getting added.  It would just be wasting his service time.  I could see a guy like Schaffer or Yaz getting a callup and then DFA'd a week after the season ends.  

As discussed elsewhere in this thread, Sisco does have to be added to the 40-man roster in the offseason, or else he is Rule 5 eligible.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Unless Sisco has to be added in the offseason to the 40 man to avoid the rule 5 draft, I don't see him getting added.  It would just be wasting his service time.  I could see a guy like Schaffer or Yaz getting a callup and then DFA'd a week after the season ends.  

19 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

As discussed elsewhere in this thread, Sisco does have to be added to the 40-man roster in the offseason, or else he is Rule 5 eligible.

I don't really understand the connection between whether we need to add him to the 40-man roster this offseason (we do) and whether calling him up would be wasting his service time.    Any service time accrued will count regardless of whether he would need to be added to the 40-man roster this winter.    And regardless of whether he's added to the 40-man, there's no requirement that he be on the major league roster next year, nor does service time accrue if he's still in the minors.

With all that said, I think there would be some value in getting a look at Sisco in September, as our offseason strategy depends  a bit on whether we think Sisco is ready, especially defensively.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't really understand the connection between whether we need to add him to the 40-man roster this offseason (we do) and whether calling him up would be wasting his service time.    Any service time accrued will count regardless of whether he would need to be added to the 40-man roster this winter.    And regardless of whether he's added to the 40-man, there's no requirement that he be on the major league roster next year, nor does service time accrue if he's still in the minors.

With all that said, I think there would be some value in getting a look at Sisco in September, as our offseason strategy depends  a bit on whether we think Sisco is ready, especially defensively.   

Yeah, I don't think there is much of a chance (no pun intended) Sisco breaks camp with the O's next year. It sounds like he needs more reps defensively and will spend a couple months at the beginning of 2018 in Norfolk. Therefore I am not really concerned about his accruing a month of service time this September. They will certainly add at least one additional catcher, whether that is Wynns (who would also need to be added to the 40-man roster in the off-season or be Rule 5 eligible), Sisco or a non-prospect isn't something I am really worried about.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, I don't think there is much of a chance (no pun intended) Sisco breaks camp with the O's next year. It sounds like he needs more reps defensively and will spend a couple months at the beginning of 2018 in Norfolk. Therefore I am not really concerned about his accruing a month of service time this September. They will certainly add at least one additional catcher, whether that is Wynns (who would also need to be added to the 40-man roster in the off-season or be Rule 5 eligible), Sisco or a non-prospect isn't something I am really worried about.

They said last night during the game that a catcher would be recalled between Sept 1-5.   That is probably Sisco or Pena.   Wynns probably is with the Baysox until they are done with the playoff which could be as late as Sept 16th.

Bumping this. Why not use the 40-man to help with the rotation down the stretch? You could start any combination of Castro, Bleier, Aquino, and Ramirez and have them pitch a couple of innings each. Leave them in if they are doing OK. You would still have Wright and Wilson for mop up duties. 

Maybe bring in Tommy Hunter or another journeyman type through waiver trade.

There is no reason Tillman or Ubaldo should pitch a single game in September.

On 8/29/2017 at 4:29 PM, wildcard said:

They said last night during the game that a catcher would be recalled between Sept 1-5.   That is probably Sisco or Pena.   Wynns probably is with the Baysox until they are done with the playoff which could be as late as Sept 16th.

I hope the Baysox playoff run doesn't screw him over.

I would rather they bring up Sisco and he gets tested defensively, but they will either bring up Pena, or bring up Sisco and only use him as a PH in games. I want to see MLB players run on him and how he handles it, along with a MLB pitching staff (or atleast something resembling one.)

10 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

We have about three spots needed on the 40 (Hardy, Pedro, 3rd catcher).

Who goes?

Hardy takes the open spot on the 40 man roster which is  at 39.

Pedro up/ Verrett DFA'd is my guess something this weekend.

Sisco come up after Monday's Tides game with either Wilson or Ynoa being DFA'd.  Just another guess.

Crichton, Yacabonis and Rickard recalled tomorrow is another guess. They are on the 40 man.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hardy takes the open spot on the 40 man roster which is  at 39.

Pedro up/ Verrett DFA'd is my guess something this weekend.

Sisco come up after Monday's Tides game with either Wilson or Ynoa being DFA'd.  Just another guess.

Crichton, Yacabonis and Rickard recalled tomorrow is another guess. They are on the 40 man.

Okay.  So we never filled that slot from Nuno?  That helps.  I don't want to lose Ynoa.  I think I have Verrett and Wilson as my bottom two.

To add non-40-man roster guys, you have to drop.  It looks like Verrett is obvious for the catcher.  Who goes for Pedro?   Wilson, Ynoa, Lee on the bubble?     However, Ynoa has been one of the hottest pitchers in the IL since the AS break and he might be viewed as a viable long man for September.  He is on track to start Monday's game unless he is scratched.   

To add a PR like Schaeffer or Yaz another guy must go.   It's unfortunate that the true dead weight guys are Tillman and Ubaldo.

If Hart can't be recalled until next Wed or Thursday due to 10-day rule, we might see Faulkner here pretty soon to give another LHP because he is on the 40-man.

1 hour ago, Dreadnought said:

To add non-40-man roster guys, you have to drop.  It looks like Verrett is obvious for the catcher.  Who goes for Pedro?   Wilson, Ynoa, Lee on the bubble?     However, Ynoa has been one of the hottest pitchers in the IL since the AS break and he might be viewed as a viable long man for September.  He is on track to start Monday's game unless he is scratched.   

To add a PR like Schaeffer or Yaz another guy must go.   It's unfortunate that the true dead weight guys are Tillman and Ubaldo.

If Hart can't be recalled until next Wed or Thursday due to 10-day rule, we might see Faulkner here pretty soon to give another LHP because he is on the 40-man.

Lee has an option next year.  That is another year of development at AAA.  I don't think he gets DFA'd.

Faulkner gives up too many walks.  He hasn't earned a call up IMO.

1 hour ago, Dreadnought said:

Not sure if you need a pinch runner if you have both Rickard and Gentry.

Archived