What Trades Will the Orioles Make?

weams

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the Tigers would have pulled him back if he had been claimed.  They expect a return.

The rules state that the TIgers could work out a trade with the claiming team, and if they pull him back, then they could not put him back on revocable waivers.

Edit: I'd suggest everyone read this guide to the revocable waiver trade rules

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right...

So if any team is willing to take on the contract, it would behoove them to make a claim.  Then they could negotiate a trade with the player's team, they would have more leverage because if the team pulls the player back they can't put the player on revocable waivers again.

The only thing a team has to lose by making a claim is taking on the entire contract.  That is literally the only risk in making a claim rather than waiting for a player to clear and then try to work out a trade.

Plus the added benefit that it prevents any other team from acquiring the player in a trade.

You guys expecting to get Verlander for Sisco or that the Tigers are going to eat a contract for you are completely kidding yourselves. The Tigers wanted Javier Baez+ other prospects from the Cubs and were only willing to eat 10M. Chance Sisco isn't even moving the needle let alone getting a deal done.

7 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

You guys expecting to get Verlander for Sisco or that the Tigers are going to eat a contract for you are completely kidding yourselves. The Tigers wanted Javier Baez+ other prospects from the Cubs and were only willing to eat 10M. Chance Sisco isn't even moving the needle let alone getting a deal done.

I'm not saying the TIgers would make that trade, I'm say the Tigers would be smart to make that trade.  No team is going to give a top 100 prospect for Verlander unless some of the contract is eaten.  So if the Tigers want a big return (which is understandable, they are trying to save face with the fan base), they aren't going to get it.

This explains the situation pretty well, Verlander has picked it up some since this article has been written, so I was more optimistic in my projections of his future worth.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How does Buck get him on the 25 man?

I know you like a skinny questions, but we're going to have two catchers always on the roster. If Castillo opts out, then Joseph and Pena(or another vet backup) are your 2018 C's.

If Buck re-ups for 2019 and beyond, I see it staying similar. Maybe not Pena, but I really like Pena as a guy that could catch 50 games a year, and not kill you with the bat.  

I like Sisco, but I'm thinking he's a .750-.775 bat with no MLB position.  Unless he's your 2020 DH.  Trumbo took away our versatility.  Which we didn't foresee all these young guys being real close to Baltimore, or Mancini producing like this.

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

Why wouldn't someone claim him? The only reason is fear of Det letting you have him.

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Which was why I asked the earlier question. If we wanted him or Miggy, why didn't we just claim them?

If we wanted him we could have made ourselves the only team who could possibly get him, but we didn't, which leads me to believe nobody wants to be stuck with his contract. I don't see how they could possibly expect any return for a guy nobody even cares to block with a claim. I must be missing something - it wouldn't be the first time & certainly won't be the last.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I know you like a skinny questions, but we're going to have two catchers always on the roster. If Castillo opts out, then Joseph and Pena(or another vet backup) are your 2018 C's.

If Buck re-ups for 2019 and beyond, I see it staying similar. Maybe not Pena, but I really like Pena as a guy that could catch 50 games a year, and not kill you with the bat.  

I like Sisco, but I'm thinking he's a .750-.775 bat with no MLB position.  Unless he's your 2020 DH.  Trumbo took away our versatility.  Which we didn't foresee all these young guys being real close to Baltimore, or Mancini producing like this.

You do know that Dan and not Buck ultimately decides who is on the 25 man roster right?

If Dan puts him on the 25 as one of the two catchers Buck is going to have to play him, even if he is oddly obsessed with controlling the running game.

Archived