Austin Hays

weams

29 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I like Stewart.  I saw a lot of him in Frederick.  I don't believe he'll be ready for the O's in '18.

Stewart, in my opinion, is more ready than Hays for the majors.  Hays is the better player and prospect (obviously), but Stewart is more of a finished product.

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Hays - Stewart - Mullins - Santander, I assume...

Sure would be nice to get Mancini to first base somehow.

Yeah, it'll work itself out though, even though all 4 have a mid-range outcome of being a regular, there is still a good chance that one or more flames out.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

How have Hays, Santander, and Sisco looked the last two games?  I've missed the last two. 

Santander has been hitting liners left and right.  Sisco has looked solid behind the plate and comfortable at the plate.  Hays' defense has looked good, his timing is a bit off at the plate still, but he's looking a bit better.  He made the last out of the game last night, but it was a 390ft line drive, a loud out.

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Honestly I don't know what to make of Santander. Is he legit or just another Rule V reject from a talent rich organization?

He's going to be good. Luke Scott with better base-hit ability and less over-the-top power. But dingers, doubles, passable defense, at least a good platoon option.

4 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Santander has been hitting liners left and right.  Sisco has looked solid behind the plate and comfortable at the plate.  Hays' defense has looked good, his timing is a bit off at the plate still, but he's looking a bit better.  He made the last out of the game last night, but it was a 390ft line drive, a loud out.

Hard to keep Santander around past Mid May next year. We have enough DH types already on this team. Even if Hays struggles some offensively, his glove can help carry him.  

That said Santander has a pretty swing and I am glad we kept him. Hope he can be a real option by 2019.  

36 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Hard to keep Santander around past Mid May next year. We have enough DH types already on this team. Even if Hays struggles some offensively, his glove can help carry him.  

That said Santander has a pretty swing and I am glad we kept him. Hope he can be a real option by 2019.  

Santander was unable to catch a ball near the fence in the alley last night, but I thought he made a pretty good effort to get to the ball.   Earlier in the game he initially misjudged a liner in the alley but in front of him, but he was able to correct his route and get there for the catch.     He looks to me like a guy who needs more reps, but could be a pretty solid corner OF.    And I like his approach at the plate a lot.    

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Nice.    To summarize the relevant part here, Manuel expects Hays to be in BA's top 25, and maybe top 15.     He thinks our farm system will be ranked somewhere in the middle, between 12th and 18th.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I never said that I thought he was a DH type.  He might not be the most polished OF, but he has more athleticism and more arm than Mancini, so he's got a chance to be average-ish out there eventually.

11 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I thought both Santander and Hays had good AB's there in the 9th, Hays had a couple good takes (for a guy that I heard might not be as selective) and I liked seeing Santander go with the pitch. 

It would be nice to have some variety in the strengths of batters in the lineup next year.