The #11 Pick in 2018 draft

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just so people are aware, these are the changes to the CBA that involve draft picks/free agency as it regards to teams that try to sign a Qualifying Offer free agent:

1. A non-market disqualified Revenue Sharing Payee team (i.e. a team that receives revenue sharing money) will forfeit its third highest remaining selection.
  2. A Competitive Balance Tax paying team (i.e. a team whose payroll exceeds the luxury tax threshold) will forfeit its second-highest and fifth-highest remaining picks—in addition to having its international signing bonus pool reduced by $1 million in the next full signing period.
  3. All other teams will forfeit their second-highest remaining pick and will have their international bonus pool reduced by $500,000.

For those teams that lose a player that rejected a Qualifying Offer:

1. A non-market disqualified Revenue Sharing Payee team will receive a pick immediately following the first round if the player signs a contract with a total guarantee of $50 million or more.
  2. A Competitive Balance Tax paying team will receive a pick immediately following the fourth round.
  3. All other teams will receive a pick immediately after the Competitive Balance Round B.

6 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

The O's were in category 3 last year, I'm assuming they will be there again this year.  

If so, that means that if Manny walks, we get a sandwich pick between the 2nd and 3rd round, instead of a 1st round supplemental?    Ouch!

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

If so, that means that if Manny walks, we get a sandwich pick between the 2nd and 3rd round, instead of a 1st round supplemental?    Ouch!

I was thinking 1 but typed 3, tired brain.  It's been edited to catagory 1 which is the correct one.

2 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

The Orioles will have 3 of the first 85 picks in the 2018 draft if the competitive balance pick is NOT traded away.

Hopefully Tillman will refuse the QO so they can get another pick!

Going to be a lot harder to accumulate a lot of top draft picks under the new system.

4 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I don't know about you guys but I feel that the #11 draft pick is the perfect present for having to endure a frustrating season. It is now up to the Orioles to draft an high impact player. I want to see the Orioles draft a player who can make it to majors in two years or less. The 2017 season will be worth it if this happens. I don't follow college or high school baseball. Will the Orioles have several good options at pick 11?

I hope they get a good player. It would  be nice i he was on the big club in 2 years.

3 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The Orioles will take the best player available at pick 11. I could see them taking a third basemen, a outfielder or pitcher with their number 11 pick. Those are the areas of need if you ask me.

Well just what if Manny resigns with the O's? I no I no most likely won't happen.

Archived