Girardi: "Buck, hold my beer"

weams

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, weams said:

It was not mutual. The Yankees decided for him.

I have no special knowledge here, though I follow what the media, especially the New York Post (which has the most knowledgeable and astute MLB writers in town, IMO) say about Girardi pretty closely.

There may be some basis for dissatisfaction with Girardi based on something that's been kept secret, but I doubt that.

My best guess is that Cashman was bothered by the credit that Girardi was given (and didn't seem to mind taking) for the success of this year's team and convinced Hal ("Maybe I'm Not That Smart, But I'm a Lot Smarter Than My Brother") Steinbrenner that there was an opportunity to get a manager who would relate better to the young players and save some money. The NYYs may have made an offer (say, a one-year contract at $2 million) that they knew Girardi would have to turn down, making the decision a little more "mutual."

While I wouldn't mind seeing Buck go if we could get a competent replacement, I really don't want to see Girardi be that successor. And I doubt he'd take the job.   

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I have no special knowledge here, though I follow what the media, especially the New York Post (which has the most knowledgeable and astute MLB writers in town, IMO) say about Girardi pretty closely.

There may be some basis for dissatisfaction with Girardi based on something that's been kept secret, but I doubt that.

My best guess is that Cashman was bothered by the credit that Girardi was given (and didn't seem to mind taking) for the success of this year's team and convinced Hal ("Maybe I'm Not That Smart, But I'm a Lot Smarter Than My Brother") Steinbrenner that there was an opportunity to get a manager who would relate better to the young players and save some money. The NYYs may have made an offer (say, a one-year contract at $2 million) that they knew Girardi would have to turn down, making the decision a little more "mutual."

While I wouldn't mind seeing Buck go if we could get a competent replacement, I really don't want to see Girardi be that successor. And I doubt he'd take the job.   

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I think Girardi is a fine manager.   I'll be shocked if he isn't hired very soon.

That being said, I definitely wouldn't want the Orioles to hire him.   He would seem a good fit for the Nats.

Barry wrote this article yesterday before Girardi was let go.

The Nats don’t need to see what the Yankees are thinking. The Nats can commit to paying an established manager what an established manager is worth. The Nats can pick up the phone. The Nats can call Joe Girardi. And by doing so, the Nats could soften the blow of Baker’s departure and have all of baseball wondering about a World Series in Washington a year from now.

What we’re asking for, more directly, is for the Nationals — and not the front office, but ownership — to understand the value of strong, stable leadership, and the cost to bring it here. They had that with Baker, but for whatever reason — Rizzo called it a “pure baseball decision,” so in-game strategy had to play a part — they dumped it.

Nothing against Dave Martinez, the bench coach for the Cubs, or Kevin Long, the hitting coach for the Mets. Both seem like qualified candidates, and both are due to interview in Washington.

But a call to Girardi would represent more. It would represent ambition. It would represent transformative thinking on the part of ownership, thinking that would be on par with the rest of the industry. It would require a financial commitment — at least $4 million annually — that would represent an understanding that managers are important, that winning a championship doesn’t happen by accident.

“We’ll see what the Yankees are thinking,” Girardi said Saturday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/if-nationals-are-serious-about-a-world-series-they-should-make-joe-girardi-an-offer/2017/10/24/2c5e9ff0-b8f2-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.fd46cd8a2657

5 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

With Baker, Farrell, and Girardi having received their walking papers, someone in Baltimore has noticed that the temperature under his seat has increased a lot.

Nope.   Buck is fine.  Maybe if we crash and burn in 2018 I might see that...but by then his contract is up anyway.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think so.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Nope.   Buck is fine.  Maybe if we crash and burn in 2018 I might see that...but by then his contract is up anyway.

That's because the Orioles don't seem interested in winning. All of those three managers that were recently fired had better results than Showalter, who hangs on to his job because of one ALCS appearance (that ended in a 0-4 sweep) and because he had winning seasons after 13 years of losing. Those are too small accomplishments for a franchise like the Orioles. 

2 hours ago, Datalore said:

Buck Showalter: "I warned him."

2 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

It's safe to say that decision turned out to be the correct one for the Yankees.

o

The following is what I believe to be a more accurate description/representation of what happened with the Yankees in the 90's ........ 

Joe Torre walked in on the coattails of what Gene Michael and Buck Showalter had built prior to him getting there. 

After Gabe Paul (the Yankees' G.M from 1973-1977) rebuilt the Yankees back into a power (2 World championships, 4 Pennants, and 5 division titles from 1976-1981), George Steinbrenner's insane temper and compulsiveness with BOTH his managers AND his players drove the Yankees back into a pretty good but no longer great franchise from 1982-1988 (7 out of 8 winning seasons, but no playoff appearances), and finally a bad franchise (4 straight losing seasons from 1989-1992.) It wasn't until Fay Vincent gave Steinbrenner the boot for 2 years in July of 1990 that the Yankees were able to rebuild themselves back into a power again under the guidance of General Manager Gene Michael (1991-1995) and Manager Buck Showalter (1992-1995.) And then along came Torre in 1996, who was a good enough manager not to screw up the great thing that he had in front of him.

Previous to his stint with the Yankees, Torre also managed the Mets for 5 years from 1977 through 1981, the Braves for 3 years from 1982 through 1984, and the Cardinals for 6 years from 1990 through 1995, none of which situations were set up in a manner as that of the Yankees' job prior to the 1996 season.

o

Archived