Duquette's first BIG move (sarcasm)

panick

Duquette has apparently begun to get the once mighty O's ready for a championship run. According to an article in The Sun, he has signed 27 year-old Joe Maloney from an independent league. Maloney plays 1B, supposedly hits well against LH and was the MVP of his league. I would make a snide remark about how much the O's need more 1B/DH's, but this guy is an MVP! And he actually played at AA for the Twins in 2016. It shouldn't take him long to be playing in Oriole Park!

Now we can wait on pins and needles to see who Duquette takes in the Rule 5 draft. I wonder how many he will take this year. 

The final steps will be overpaying for mediocre-at-best pitchers.

Something tells me the O's won't be printing WS tickets in 2018.

2 hours ago, panick said:

Duquette has apparently begun to get the once mighty O's ready for a championship run. According to an article in The Sun, he has signed 27 year-old Joe Maloney from an independent league. Maloney plays 1B, supposedly hits well against LH and was the MVP of his league. I would make a snide remark about how much the O's need more 1B/DH's, but this guy is an MVP! And he actually played at AA for the Twins in 2016. It shouldn't take him long to be playing in Oriole Park!

Now we can wait on pins and needles to see who Duquette takes in the Rule 5 draft. I wonder how many he will take this year. 

Roch had a pretty good quote today about all the fans who like to jeer stuff like "I'm buying my playoff tickets now!" every time the O's make a minor depth move.  I'd recommend checking it out.

You could bet against just about every MLB team making the world series, and you'll be right nearly every time.  The O's have a ways to go,  and Duquette has certainly made some bad moves while here, (as do all GMs of course), but I recommend we wait until actual bad moves (that deserve criticism) are made before we throw him under the bus.

The highlight of the signing for me is that I learned there was a CanAM League. I have heard of several of the teams in the league, but didn't know the league's name. I also learned that a major league umpire (Will Little) got his start in the CanAm league and may be the first MLB umpire to come out of the independent leagues. 

4 hours ago, panick said:

DD won't sign the type pitchers the team needs. IMO 

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Let's not do these type of posts for every minor league deal.

If the O's try to sell a minor league depth move like this as a big deal, then yeah, criticize away, but that's not the case here.

Since the Orioles are set at 1B DH LF for seventy years, I'd suspect that a guy like this plays the position and has no problem with staying at his level, all year. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

Since the Orioles are set at 1B DH LF for seventy years, I'd suspect that a guy like this plays the position and has no problem with staying at his level, all year. 

One thing that was brought up was his versatility, being 1st, the corner outfield spots, and catching. Seems like he will go into Bowie as a Rosa type player (Rosa was 3rd, 1st, and RF this season), without the Rosa love. Makes me wonder if they will re-sign Aderlin Rodriguez and put him in Norfolk or just let him walk. No real intrigue, just curiosity.

On 10/20/2017 at 6:04 PM, weams said:

Is there a significant improvement in pay, benefits, quality of life, etc. between affiliated and independent ball? Are most independent players hoping to get back into affiliated ball?

I know its easy to bash DD, he has made some bonehead moves that don't help his rep.

He has also made some very good moves/decisions, and this team has been a contender more than once.

You need depth in the minors for the 4 teams, and while every signing doesn't result into a MVP on the parent club, there are ones that have some successes along the way, keeping in mind, at this level, there is little risk involved if they dont work out, you shake their hand, wave good bye and move another body into slot.

6 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Is there a significant improvement in pay, benefits, quality of life, etc. between affiliated and independent ball? Are most independent players hoping to get back into affiliated ball?

Independent ball is unregulated. But many players make a few hundred a month. I guess Rickey Henderson or Roger Clemens could get a shot if they signed a week-long contract. 

Archived