How long before the O's convert Brad Brach to a starter?

wildcard

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you would rather have Bundy, Gausman,, Castro, Cortes and Ynoa in the rotation?   How long do you think that would last?  Castro Has not been a starter in the high minors much less the majors.  Cortes is a soft toss guy with decent numbers in the minors but no major league experience.   Not the kind of guy that should be expected to stay in the rotation all year.   Ynoa had a terrible year at AAA last year.  Had a good month in August in AAA.   Has done ok in 7 starts in the majors.   But no-one knows what to expect from him. He got lit up for a 6.23 ERA in 5 starts in the Dominican this off season. 

That is a very iffy rotation.   Brach probably has better stuff than the last three.  He probably can be extended if the O's want to keep him.  Getting creative mean going out of your comfort zone.  I guess you are not there yet.

Yes, I would rather try Ynoa, Cortes and Castro than give starts to Brach.    And no, I don’t expect all three to be very successful.   If we’re lucky, one of them will be.   When the other two fail, we try other options.     But I’m not wasting my time with Brach.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I would rather try Ynoa, Cortes and Castro than give starts to Brach.    And no, I don’t expect all three to be very successful.   If we’re lucky, one of them will be.   When the other two fail, we try other options.     But I’m not wasting my time with Brach.

Well,  you have staked out your position.  Let's see what Dan and Buck do.

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you would rather have Bundy, Gausman,, Castro, Cortes and Ynoa in the rotation?   How long do you think that would last?  Castro has not been a starter in the high minors much less the majors.  Cortes is a soft toss guy with decent numbers in the minors but no major league experience.   Not the kind of guy that should be expected to stay in the rotation all year.   Ynoa had a terrible year at AAA last year.  Had a good month in August in AAA.   Has done ok in 7 starts in the majors.   But no-one knows what to expect from him. He got lit up for a 6.23 ERA in 5 starts in the Dominican this off season. 

That is a very iffy rotation.   Brach probably has better stuff than the last three.  He probably can be extended if the O's want to keep him.  Getting creative means going out of your comfort zone.  I guess you are not there yet.

Here's the deal. Cortes is a pitcher not a thrower and appears to be a KO pitcher. If he can do that with his 88-92 fastball, he must have very good control and he is a lefty.

Lets return back to Brach. You know, this has been discussed in OH, like a dead horse.

Why in tarnation, are you so hung up on Brach

You do understand, he didn't even start in college and he has no professional starts under his belt?

You do understand, that while he has a 3rd pitch, he is pretty much a 2 pitch pitcher, which usually means, they aren't suited for SP work.

Just now, wildcard said:

I believe we will acquire at least two FA pitchers with some kind of track record.    But whether it will be anyone who’s any good is an open question.   

24 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Here's the deal. Cortes is a pitcher not a thrower and appears to be a KO pitcher. If he can do that with his 88-92 fastball, he must have very good control and he is a lefty.

Lets return back to Brach. You know, this has been discussed in OH, like a dead horse.

Why in tarnation, are you so hung up on Brach

You do understand, he didn't even start in college and he has no professional starts under his belt?

You do understand, that while he has a 3rd pitch, he is pretty much a 2 pitch pitcher, which usually means, they aren't suited for SP work.

FanGraphs say Brach has 4 pitches.  Fastball, Sinker, Slider and Change.  From what I am reading at least three of them are plus pitches and maybe all 4.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=6627&position=P

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

FanGraphs say Brach has 4 pitches.  Fastball, Sinker, Slider and Change.  From what I am reading at least three of them are plus pitches and maybe all 4.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=6627&position=P

If you look at this fangraphs, they are only showing 3 types, FB, SL and CH

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=6627&position=P#pitchtype

It's not news to the O's that Brach has 3 good pitches.  They must have concluded that Brach lacks the stamina to maintain his stuff for 5+ innings.  Maybe some organizations would look at Brach and contemplate giving him the chance to start, but since we have never heard a peep from the Orioles about trying this, it's evident that they will not.  

6 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

It's not news to the O's that Brach has 3 good pitches.  They must have concluded that Brach lacks the stamina to maintain his stuff for 5+ innings.  Maybe some organizations would look at Brach and contemplate giving him the chance to start, but since we have never heard a peep from the Orioles about trying this, it's evident that they will not.  

Nothing is evident as we look as the O's last three starters in the rotation.  Nothing.

57 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If they don't convert Brach to SP will you eat your hat? How effective will Brach be when his velocity is down to 92? How many IP can he maintain with that wild delivery he has?

Archived