Orioles to take another shot at extending Machado per Roch

Roll Tide

Will the Orioles get Manny resigned  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Orioles get Machado signed?

• No ...They are just trying to prevent a fan exodus by saying they tried
    • No, They are going to back up the Brinks truck, but Machado isn't interested in staying
    • Yes...Angela s finally signs off on the big dollars and gets it done
    • Other.....

My hope is that Angelos gets personally involved in the negotiations, Machado offends Angelos some way, and Angelos decides that Machado must be traded.  Even with Machado and a couple of good starting pitchers this is not a playoff team.  Ok, maybe they could get lucky and get to the play in game and lose it with a little luck.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Of course when I say that Manny is likely to 'walk' I really really hope that we can at least trade him in the summer for a good haul.  To let him go for nothing other than a comp pick or whatever would be pretty brutal.  Unfortunately I do not really believe Dan will trade Manny unless the O's are just completely tanking.

Would Angelos allow him to trade Manny? 

7 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I voted "Other".   I think they may make, what they think, is a legitimate offer.   I think Manny has no intention of signing and will be a free agent.   

Exactly. Me too.

Should have traded him last offseason. Along with Britton.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Just don't understand the sign Manny (at almost any cost) camp

We just finished in last place with Manny

How does allocating even more payroll to him improve the team?

Signing Manny will lock the O's into irrelevance for a decade as has 90% of the top 20 MLB contracts for the team spending the money

Why do folks think it would be any different with Manny?

He should have been traded 2 years ago, hopefully he is real greedy and we dodge a bullet by not being able to pay him.

Agreed. He should be traded for the best deal right now. But we will manage to lose him for a lousy draft pick. Only this organization could pull this off. I don't even know who would trade a lot for him right now? Dodgers have Turner & Seager; Houston doesn't need him; we won't deal with the Yanks or Nationals; Indians don't need him. I don't see an obvious fit.

45 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I was just going to type something similar to this.  We should have dealt Manny last offseason.  

If we had a much deeper farm system, I think we'd be OK with having a guy like Manny making the big money and building around him.  

Trading Manny this offseason then pursuing him as an FA after the 2018 season remains the best way to address your either/or IMO.  I don't think the O's would ever do that.  It's a shame too because Buck would be very interesting to watch as he received THAT news.

3 minutes ago, theobird said:

Hopefully this is all about finding out if an agreement can be made, and if not Manny will be traded this off season. That's smart baseball management. Do I think this is likely the case? No, I doubt it.

That process should have happened 2 years ago. The O's keep asking the same question (how much do you want), and keep getting the same answer (more than they want to spend).

This FO/ownership is a farce. I would hope that Manny for his personal happiness has representation that will steer him clear of the O's

7 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

That process should have happened 2 years ago. The O's keep asking the same question (how much do you want), and keep getting the same answer (more than they want to spend).

This FO/ownership is a farce. I would hope that Manny for his personal happiness has representation that will steer him clear of the O's

I would hope for your personal happiness that...oh never mind...

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Top 20 Contacts (Fox Sports)

1. Miguel Cabrerra (Tigers) - One Playoff appearance, now big bust

2. ARod (Yankees) - Bust

3. ARod (Texas) - No playoff appearances, huge bust

4. Joey Votto (Cin) - MVP Player... yet zero playoff appearances for the Reds

5. Pujols (Angels) - Have they had a .500 season, big bust for the Angels

6. Robinson Cano (Mariners) - Not as good as he was, zero playoff appearances for Mariners, Bust

7. Clayton Kershaw (Dodgers) - Hey a big contract that worked,

8. Prince Fielder (Tigers) - Still getting paid, Tigers still in last place

9. Derek Jeter (Yankees) - Another good deal for the Yankees

10. Joe Maurer (Twins) - Another huge bust

Out of the top 10, 7 clear busts, one MVP player that still can't lift his team to a .500 record, and two contracts that actually helped a team to the playoffs

Can't wait to see where Manny falls will fall on this list.

1. Miguel is/was a great hitter. Problem is that the team never had a BP and their SP depth and BP evaporated over the past 3 years. They haven't drafted well in years, either. 

2/3. In Texas, this contract crippled the team. It was bad. In NY, it wasn't a bad deal. After 2013, then it became bad. But he signed it in 2007 and was very good until 2013. He would just vanish in the playoffs, except for in 2009. 

4. They haven't drafted well in years. They're drafting well now, but it will be a few years before they're good again. They're paying him $10 million a year. Not a bad contract for what he's putting up offensively and defensively. 

5. This was a bad deal and a big reason why the Angels have no pitching. This plus the Josh Hamilton deal were stupid. 

6. Not as good as he once was, but still a very solid player. Problem is they can't find good pitching or draft well at all. Not his fault at all. 

7. Worked

8. This was a stupid contract, but the Rangers are bearing the brunt of this one. Detroit pays $6 million to him every year. Not way Detroit is horrible (see number 1) but a big reason why the Rangers aren't as good right now. 

9. Yep

10. He was a hometown guy and a massive marketing tool. While he wasn't good enough to stick at catcher, he's provided value at 1B. Also is a great batter, and is playing most games. Don't see your logic here. 

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I was just going to type something similar to this.  We should have dealt Manny last offseason.  

If we had a much deeper farm system, I think we'd be OK with having a guy like Manny making the big money and building around him.  

I'm not sure I agree with that second part. I think the smart thing would be to sign both Manny and Schoop long term. They have three or four outfield prospects and Mancini to make a solid cheap outfield with. Beckham at short until 2020 along with Sisco and Joseph at catcher. 

The problem would still be pitching but they have Bundy and Gausmen until 2022 and 2021. Harvey, Akin, Means, Sedlock, Wells, etc. all have ETA's from 2018 - 2020. The team would be relatively cheap except for the Manny, Davis, and Schoop contracts so they could always spend on some free agent pitching if they need to.  You'd probably have to let Jones walk in this scenario but if the Orioles say no to having two 26 year old all Stars be their franchise cornerstones for the next decade than they are making a mistake. 

During the dark days the O's were famous for spending on players that did not make a difference. I would rather spend on one that can make a difference like Manny. The question is, do you want 10 years of a hall of fame career on your team or not. Stop spending moderate money on the Trumbo's, and instead spend big on hall of fame talent that still has a majority of their career ahead of them. 

Archived