DD: O's must be "more proactive" on pitchers, but "no 4-5 year deals"

Frobby

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, oriole said:

I cannot stand the way this team is being run right now. Either rebuild or retool for another go at it but signing players like Vargas or Cashner is a losing team even if they have decent years.

If Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo don't hit again, none of it will matter. You could sign Darvish, Arrieta and Cobb and we still wouldn't win with the offense we put out there last year.

I'm going to enjoy watching the kids play in 2019. Until then, grin and bear it.

i want you guys to do an exercise with me.  I actually did this, it was liberating and it made me feel better*.

Go get a pen and a piece of paper.   I'll wait.

Hey there!  You're back!

Ok, with your pen and paper I want you to write down the names of every FA starting pitcher you'd like to see the Orioles sign.  For that matter, write down some hitters, too.  

K, did you get them all?  Didn't forget anyone?

Ok, now I want you to take that pen and draw a giant X across the page.  You can make it with just two lines or you can scribble through the names if you want, too.

Because that's exactly what's happening with us in the FA market.  I think you guys deep down know this but this exercise might help some of you really understand.

*I didn't REALLY do this exercise but I'm not fooling myself anymore to think that the Orioles have a shot for anyone good.  Same as it ever was.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

i want you guys to do an exercise with me.  I actually did this, it was liberating and it made me feel better*.

Go get a pen and a piece of paper.   I'll wait.

Hey there!  You're back!

Ok, with your pen and paper I want you to write down the names of every FA starting pitcher you'd like to see the Orioles sign.  For that matter, write down some hitters, too.  

K, did you get them all?  Didn't forget anyone?

Ok, now I want you to take that pen and draw a giant X across the page.  You can make it with just two lines or you can scribble through the names if you want, too.

Because that's exactly what's happening with us in the FA market.  I think you guys deep down know this but this exercise might help some of you really understand.

*I didn't REALLY do this exercise but I'm not fooling myself anymore to think that the Orioles have a shot for anyone good.  Same as it ever was.

Sarcastic or not...I think this is what is driving many of us crazy.  Everyone understands that to be going all out requires at least one of these guys by FA another by trade and then and only then can taking a risk on one or two or three #5 types to fill out make sense.  Anything less than that and you are by definition treading water in a very deep hole.  My only hope is that given this reality the rebuild kind of forces itself onto the leadership and it happens...now.

19 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

If Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo don't hit again, none of it will matter. You could sign Darvish, Arrieta and Cobb and we still wouldn't win with the offense we put out there last year.

I'm going to enjoy watching the kids play in 2019. Until then, grin and bear it.

I disagree...if we signed Darvish, Arrieta, and Cobb then I think we'd have a pretty damn good chance.

12 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Sarcastic or not...I think this is what is driving many of us crazy.  Everyone understands that to be going all out requires at least one of these guys by FA another by trade and then and only then can taking a risk on one or two or three #5 types to fill out make sense.  Anything less than that and you are by definition treading water in a very deep hole.  My only hope is that given this reality the rebuild kind of forces itself onto the leadership and it happens...now.

Except that what we mean by "going all out" and what the Angelos/MASN/Duquette PR team means by "going all out" are two different concepts altogether.   In fact, I don't believe I have ever heard Duquette or Buck ever use that term in any public setting.   But, either way, the Orioles management, if they have communicated to the fans that they plan to "go all out in 2018", have engaged in the oldest trick in the book..."There is a sucker born every minute."    They have engaged in misdirection, rationalization, drips and drabs of little pieces of information....all designed to keep Orioles fans engaged in the offseason process and to buy tickets for 2018.

Nothing new...they never intended to sign guys like Cobb, Lynn, much less Arrieta, Darvish, etc.  Never.  That was just wishful fantasies.   I stick with my original prediction the day after the season ended.  They will offer Tillman a make good deal and sign Miggy Gonzalez.  Period.   

7 minutes ago, oriole said:

I disagree...if we signed Darvish, Arrieta, and Cobb then I think we'd have a pretty damn good chance.

I think any year, if any one team in baseball signs the three best free agent pitchers out there, they would have a pretty good chance to win.

It's never happened.   So saying that is like saying that if I win the powerball lottery I would be in pretty good shape financially.   It's painfully obvious and true, near impossible to achieve, and thus not particularly relevant to any real discussion.

o

Being that this is Duquette's last year on his Orioles contract (and possibly his last chance for him to enhance his legacy that he leaves here if he can at least put a competitive, winning team on the field), I would assume that he wouldn't care about the length of deals ........ after all, if he is likely gone after this season, why would he care if the Orioles still owed money to a starting pitcher for 2 more years, 3 more years, 4 more years, or 25 more years ???

Subsequently, with his latest proclamation about not wanting to give an incoming free agent starting pitcher more than 3 years, I suspect that there is a good chance that he WILL be back with the Orioles for the 2019 season and beyond.

o

4 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Being that this is Duquette's last year on his Orioles contract (and possibly his last chance for him to enhance his legacy that he leaves here if he can at least put a competitive, winning team on the field), I would assume that he wouldn't care about the length of deals ........ after all, if he is likely gone after this season, why would he care if the Orioles still owed money to a starting pitcher for 2 more years, 3 more years, 4 more years, or 25 more years ???

Subsequently, with his latest proclamation about not wanting to give an incoming free agent starting pitcher more than 3 years, I suspect that there is a good chance that he WILL be back with the Orioles for the 2019 season and beyond.

o

His owner won’t let him.  

Archived