Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

5 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm not so sure about that.   His issues here were about people trying to change his approach too much.

If his velocity is declining, there's not a whole lot he can do about it.   If he's able to make some changes to accommodate that, he could still have success.   I'm just not sure giving him a 4 or 5 year deal to find out.

Jamie Moyer says "Hey".

Seriously, I agree with you, they have to turn from being a hurler/thrower to a pitcher, be able to change speeds and hit corners, and they can still have success.

But, odds are against it, and thats why the league is balking at his 125 million 5 year deal, he believes he is worth.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm not so sure about that.   His issues here were about people trying to change his approach too much.

If his velocity is declining, there's not a whole lot he can do about it.   If he's able to make some changes to accommodate that, he could still have success.   I'm just not sure giving him a 4 or 5 year deal to find out.

It would be extremely Orioles to have the same pitcher twice during his only sucky years.

9 hours ago, cimota said:

He would just take a long contract with an opt-out. No way Arrieta takes a one year deal. He turned down what Darvish received.  If Arrieta took a one year 25 million dollar contract and blew out his shoulder Boras would be hard pressed to find another client.   He can just do a 6 year contract with an opt out after one year.  There is no lack of people bidding on Arrieta.   He didn't just have a year like Tilman did. 

What team is offering him 6 years and an opp out.? He's not getting near Darvish money. He is too old, has lost some mph on his FB , and has declined the last two years. Just maybe the Cubs know something

31 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

What team is offering him 6 years and an opp out.? He's not getting near Darvish money. He is too old, has lost some mph on his FB , and has declined the last two years. Just maybe the Cubs know something

He’s about four months older than Darvish.    

24 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

The Darvis contract was stupid as well. I'm not giving 6 years to a 32 YO SP.

Neither would I.   But at least the annual price wasn’t too bad.   Lester was a year younger when he signed his Cubs deal, but got $29 mm more for the same number of years.    

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Neither would I.   But at least the annual price wasn’t too bad.   Lester was a year younger when he signed his Cubs deal, but got $29 mm more for the same number of years.    

And Darvish got $21? Wow, I like Lester, but $50 mil AAV is too much.

;)

14 hours ago, El Gordo said:

So you are saying the Cubs know he is better than people think he is?  Not sure your logic.  Anyway I don't care if Arrieta gets a 5 year or 6 year or a 7 year contract. He isn't going to be on the Orioles and most likely not in American League East so it effects me little. 

I just don't get people on here thinking Arrieta has to settle for some contract that is like 4 year 15 million a year. He will get way more than that.  He may be on the decline but his strike outs per 9 innings didn't go down and his walk rate went down.  I don't see how he gets less than 5 years 100 million.  Look what we paid for Chris Davis a guy a who hit .196 in 2014.  Someone is going to pay him big bucks and the long years.  

1 minute ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I feel Darvish could break down any time. Its lunacy to give this guy at 6 year deal. But hey it's there $$$$

But all of them could break down at any time.

I like Darvish's chances of making it through 2018 healthy more than I like Gausman or Bundy's .

59 minutes ago, cimota said:

I just don't get people on here thinking Arrieta has to settle for some contract that is like 4 year 15 million a year. He will get way more than that.  He may be on the decline but his strike outs per 9 innings didn't go down and his walk rate went down.  I don't see how he gets less than 5 years 100 million.  Look what we paid for Chris Davis a guy a who hit .196 in 2014.  Someone is going to pay him big bucks and the long years.  

I agree he’ll get substantially more than 4/$60 mm.   But using Davis is a poor example, because the market has clearly changed since we signed Davis.

Archived