Adam Jones Speaking out on Twitter.

Grt 2BA FL Gator

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

What kind of deal do you think Adam gets?  I'm guessing not that much.

3/30 absolute tops

He is a league average hitter, and perhaps a league average corner OF'er, way below average CF'er

I'm not sure he will actually get the 3/30, he might end up doing a series of 1 year deals

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yes and we shall soon see how all that stuff like loyalty to Baltimore, being an Oriole for life PR  changes on a dime.   But even Cal at one point made noise about signing elsewhere.  We shall see.  The reality is that teams like us, Pirates, Brewers, Twins, etc cannot afford sentiment with long time players...unless you just want to keep on losing.  If his value remains as corner outfielder, then extend him.  If not, then thanks for the memories, good luck getting a CF gig with a contender. 

I just hope Angelos doesn't step in and do something stupid like he did with Davis.

57 minutes ago, weams said:

He was. 

Or he just  didn't think it was worth going out and hiring an expensive guy for a rebuilding team. 

I just don't read much into a lack of Buck extension being tied to Dan leaving. The organization should be doing everything it can to keep Buck as the manager. He's historically significant and the fans ADORE him more than they adore any player on the roster. That's just a fact. Buck is almost universally loved by both fans and players.

Not only that, but any new GM will be mostly a sham GM because he has to play by Angelos' rules. A GM who comes here ALREADY knows he's going to have to deal with Angelos and therefore he's a GM in desperate need of a job (see Dan Duquette). So worrying about the manager, ESPECIALLY when it's Buck Showalter, cannot be that high on any new GM's list of worries when joining the Orioles.

In fact, Buck might be the reason any GM of note would actually come here. So I find this argument to be weak overall.

49 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

15M/yr

Curtis Granderson types available for 1/5.... 4/60 would be a really bad contract (great for Adam)

Grandson will play 2018 at 37 years old.  Adam will play 2019 at 33.  Big difference.  No comparable IMO.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The team was winning when Angelos signed Davis.  Its not now.

The team was at .500 when it signed Davis.    Arguably, it was an act of desperation, trying to keep its head above water.   

Jones is a tough case.     If we didn’t have a good number of outfield prospects at the upper levels of our farm system, it would be tempting to keep him.    But it makes little sense for us to spend $12-15 mm/yr for a corner OF when we have good-looking replacements who will be making league minimum.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Grandson will play 2018 at 37 years old.  Adam will play 2019 at 33.  Big difference.  No comparable IMO.

When Granderson was Adam’s age, and coming off a down year, he got 4/$60 mm.     And he more or less earned it, producing 10.3 WAR over the four years.   

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 7:37 PM, tntoriole said:

I think Trey is going to be one of the most improved outfielders in the major leagues this season.

You may be right. He'll get the chance to prove it since there is no room for Mancini at first base or the DH spot. What we can be sure of is that Trumpbo is among the worst defensive outfielders in MLB and he is getting worse.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The team was at .500 when it signed Davis.    Arguably, it was an act of desperation, trying to keep its head above water.   

Jones is a tough case.     If we didn’t have a good number of outfield prospects at the upper levels of our farm system, it would be tempting to keep him.    But it makes little sense for us to spend $12-15 mm/yr for a corner OF when we have good-looking replacements who will be making league minimum.

Hays  is a good looking outfielder.   No one else approaches Jones caliber.   Mullins does not hit lefties and has no arm. Stewart and Santander are plodding OF/DH type.   I think Mancini is decent in left.    But Hays is the only young guy that will be close to Jones ability in center or right.  Keeping Jones for 3/39 would not be a bad move if he has a good 2018 season.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When Granderson was Adam’s age, and coming off a down year, he got 4/$60 mm.     And he more or less earned it, producing 10.3 WAR over the four years.   

At 30 and 31 Grandson hit over 40 homers and drove in over 100 in each year.    He had a 900 OPS and a 800 OPS in those two years.   Jones hasn't have an 800 OPS since he was 27.   Unless Jones has a career year in 2018 he probably does not get 4/60 IMO.

Archived