Simply Extension?

weams

57 minutes ago, cimota said:

They extended a bunch of guys who were highly inconsistent.  Adam Jones has been pretty consistent and I would expect him to put 100 percent of his effort keeping himself in good shape.  I would give Adam a 3 year 40 million dollar contract.  

If we didn’t have 3-4 outfielders rising rapidly through our system, I might agree with you.    Adam may be worth that, but I’d rather spend our money elsewhere.   

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cimota said:

Last season he was pretty much at career average for everything.  I don't see any decline.  

Since you cited WAR in your next post, you know his WAR has declined. His defense has declined. His wRC+ (offense) has declined. His foot speed has declined. His health has declined.

Not seeing that Jones is declining is pure delusion at this point.

7 hours ago, Babypowder said:

Since you cited WAR in your next post, you know his WAR has declined. His defense has declined. His wRC+ (offense) has declined. His foot speed has declined. His health has declined.

Not seeing that Jones is declining is pure delusion at this point.

ap_wbc_us_dominican_republic_baseball_89Or the defensive metrics still are weighted wrong,/incorrect/noisy/slanted against Camden Yards players. 

I am teasing a bit. Age has its tolls. So does playing with two DHs on either side of you as well. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

ap_wbc_us_dominican_republic_baseball_89Or the defensive metrics still are weighted wrong,/incorrect/noisy/slanted against Camden Yards players. 

I am teasing a bit. Age has its tolls. So does playing with two DHs on either side of you as well. 

I love Adam Jones too, but he’s on the downside of his career. That’s ok. No player has ever peaked forever.

Except Mike Trout, I won’t be surprised if he’s an immortal or some kind of cyborg who puts up 8 win seasons until baseball ceases to exist.

19 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I love Adam Jones too, but he’s on the downside of his career. That’s ok. No player has ever peaked forever.

Except Mike Trout, I won’t be surprised if he’s an immortal or some kind of cyborg who puts up 8 win seasons until baseball ceases to exist.

I love Mike Trout, especially since I've been following him since he was in HS, but if he's going to keep on putting up 8+ WAR seasons, he's going to have to hit an amazing amount as he slows down and his defense lags (which has already happened some as he's filled out).  Maybe he does it, it'll be fun to watch either way.  

1 hour ago, weams said:

adam-jones-home-run-rob-832x447.pngHere. Closer. 2017.

This was a great play.    It’s harder to capture the balls that drop in because Jones isn’t as fast as he used to be.    On this play, Jones had time to gather himself and time his leap, rather than running at top speed to get to the ball.   

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

This was a great play.    It’s harder to capture the balls that drop in because Jones isn’t as fast as he used to be.    On this play, Jones had time to gather himself and time his leap, rather than running at top speed to get to the ball.   

Because he had real outfielders playing with him. Adam was the American team centerfielder. The World Champion American team. With a good dose of Adam in that win. 

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

He was also playing deeper.

3 hours ago, weams said:

Because he had real outfielders playing with him. Adam was the American team centerfielder. The World Champion American team. With a good dose of Adam in that win. 

Nothing against Adam; I don’t like it when hyperbole goes over the top and forces me to play devil’s advocate about a player I like.   But let’s just say that if the US team really got to choose from among all the American centerfielders, there would be several guys picked ahead of Adam.    Adam chose to make playing for the US team his priority, while others didn’t.    I’m glad he represented the country well.

20 hours ago, cimota said:

They extended a bunch of guys who were highly inconsistent.  Adam Jones has been pretty consistent and I would expect him to put 100 percent of his effort keeping himself in good shape.  I would give Adam a 3 year 40 million dollar contract.  

I think we really underrate Jones on this board. I think it'll take 5 years and at least $75 million to keep him.

Archived