Mini Camp Thread

weams

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, weams said:

Very optimistic take by Doc.    If I were down on the sunny fields of Sarasota, maybe I’d be as optimistic as he is.    Sitting here in the DC-area gloom, I think that while it’s possible to get improvements out of last year’s holdovers, development from our MiL guys and perhaps a pleasant surprise out of Rule 5 or a minor pick-up, this staff is going nowhere if we don’t bring in some established, good starting pitchers.  

On 1/10/2018 at 7:24 AM, weams said:

One of the dumber things the Orioles have done in a while with a prospect. The guy will always have extreme command issues. He may get away with it for an inning or two or maybe even three, but why push him to be a starter when at best he's going to be a five inning pitcher due to pitch counts? Let him get back to being used as a true reliever (use on successive days and see how he recovers and if he can pitch effectively in that role. If he needs three or more days between to pitch effectively that will limit his roles and I just don't see him having the ability to get even moderately deep into games. Plus he doesn't have a real third pitch though he did flash the change last year.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

One of the dumber things the Orioles have done in a while with a prospect. The guy will always have extreme command issues. He may get away with it for an inning or two or maybe even three, but why push him to be a starter when at best he's going to be a five inning pitcher due to pitch counts? Let him get back to being used as a true reliever (use on successive days and see how he recovers and if he can pitch effectively in that role. If he needs three or more days between to pitch effectively that will limit his roles and I just don't see him having the ability to get even moderately deep into games. Plus he doesn't have a real third pitch though he did flash the change last year.

You have much better experience making these kind of calls than I do, but to me dumb things are things that hurt even if you cant necessarily put your finger on it.  I dont know exactly what we did with Jake, but clearly it hurt the Orioles if not him....

I just do not see the harm of using Scott this way and it seems to me the best part of the creative use is it gives him bullpen sessions on a regular basis to work with coaches on say that third pitch (changeup) and control.  If those things do not materialize he can always resort to his 100mph fb in a short MLB relief role.  

I get you saying you disagree, but I would need help to see it as dumb.  Is that what you really think or was that not the best word?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

You have much better experience making these kind of calls than I do, but to me dumb things are things that hurt even if you cant necessarily put your finger on it.  I dont know exactly what we did with Jake, but clearly it hurt the Orioles if not him....

I just do not see the harm of using Scott this way and it seems to me the best part of the creative use is it gives him bullpen sessions on a regular basis to work with coaches on say that third pitch (changeup) and control.  If those things do not materialize he can always resort to his 100mph fb in a short MLB relief role.  

I get you saying you disagree, but I would need help to see it as dumb.  Is that what you really think or was that not the best word?

Thanks

I can't speak for Tony, but I can tell you why I think it's dumb.

1. High Leverage relief is valuable, especially from the left side and Tanner Scott is probably ready for some MLB role now. A half-grade control bump and you've got a closer or set-up man.

2. While Scott's delivery isn't "high effort", it isn't easy either, he only pitched 69 innings, plus fall league and it looked to me like he lost the zip on his stuff down the stretch (mostly movement on the FB, although velocity was way down in his last AFL outing. When you say he could just go back to his 100mph FB, he could very well lose it if overworked and have it never come back.  Also, injury risk.

3. It just makes no sense, I'd reckon he'd need two more full years to develop into a starter and that's assuming it works. You have a clear heir apparent for Zach Britton, all he needs is a relatively small command/control improvement. So you throw learning the feel for a new pitch, building up innings over a season, withstanding longer outings on top of that.

15 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I can't speak for Tony, but I can tell you why I think it's dumb.

1. High Leverage relief is valuable, especially from the left side and Tanner Scott is probably ready for some MLB role now. A half-grade control bump and you've got a closer or set-up man.

2. While Scott's delivery isn't "high effort", it isn't easy either, he only pitched 69 innings, plus fall league and it looked to me like he lost the zip on his stuff down the stretch (mostly movement on the FB, although velocity was way down in his last AFL outing. When you say he could just go back to his 100mph FB, he could very well lose it if overworked and have it never come back.  Also, injury risk.

3. It just makes no sense, I'd reckon he'd need two more full years to develop into a starter and that's assuming it works. You have a clear heir apparent for Zach Britton, all he needs is a relatively small command/control improvement. So you throw learning the feel for a new pitch, building up innings over a season, withstanding longer outings on top of that.

My impression is that the O’s are not trying to develop Scott as a starter.    Rather, they are continuing the routine of having him pitch 3 innings at the start of the game every fifth day, and have bullpen sessions in between, as a way of getting him predictable reps and allowing him to work on his stuff.    That’s different.   

That routine worked well for Scott’s development last year, and I think Tony agreed it worked well.   But I think he’s saying that now’s the time to get him readjusted to the kind of routine that a real reliever has, because he’s going to have to make that adjustment eventually and he’s close to the majors now.    

I’m agnostic on the subject, and frankly, I remain skeptical about Scott.   I’m just not a fan of guys who throw hard but don’t know where the ball is going a lot of the time.    I guess he might become a left-handed Mitch Williams, but I’m dubious.  

Archived