So Seriously-is this team going to do ANYTHING this offseason?

Rene88

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Look, this all sucks. But if I had to guess, I'd guess the following:

• We sign two starting pitchers. One of them is Chris Tillman on a 1-year deal, potentially a minor league deal, but if I had to bet, I'm betting on a ML deal. The other pitcher will be one of the Cashner/Vargas/Liriano variety.  That gives you about 6 or 7 guys to compete for 5 spots in the rotation when you factor in Castro, Cortes, Wright, etc.
  • We sign Ryan Goins or the like to be the UIF. Sorry, Flats.
  • We sign a catcher for depth who we can safely DFA a million times during the year and stash in AAA.
  • We pick up McGowan off waivers from the Mets for bullpen depth.
  • They bring in another lefty bat/outfielder but I don't really buy that it'll be a big name like CarGo.
  • We find a couple young lefties on the waiver wire or for slot picks or cash trades that will compete for bullpen spots. 

CarGo might still be a big name, but if he's their target it shouldn't be much of a commitment to sign him. His decline has been swift.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

More detailed than I could have provided, but I this is more-or-less what I'm expecting at this point.  I was a proponent of rebuild/retool, but that doesn't appear likely.  I hope people going to fanfest question not rebuilding.. maybe it will give ownership some pause in understanding that we can stomach it, if it's for the greater good.

But assuming something along the lines of this occur.. I'm thinking, what? 84 wins if- IF- things go well?  Probably a losing record all things being equal. 

I wouldn't say 84 wins if everything goes well, closer to 72-74 wins if everything goes well.  We also need a large number of other teams to have everything go wrong here.  Every team in our division is better than they were last year with the exception of Tampa which will still be better than us, especially as the season progresses.  The Central has three teams who have taken a step back (Detroit, KC, Cleveland) but the White Sox are only getting better.  The West is stacked.  Theres more to consider than just our lineup and (lack of) rotation.  Our surrounding teams have taken major steps forward at both the minor and major league levels. 

51 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

CarGo might still be a big name, but if he's their target it shouldn't be much of a commitment to sign him. His decline has been swift.

John Jay is an option, too, but even though he lacks power and is the same age as CarGo, I feel like you could get CarGo on a 1-year with an option or something for less than Jay. 

43 minutes ago, jjnono said:

All we need is for each player on the current roster to surpass his statistical career bests and we'll be fine.  I don't understand all the hand-wringing.  94 wins, easy...

This is absolutely hilarious.  Not because it is wrong, because it is most assuredly correct. It is hilarious, because to a growing number here, the above seems to be the plan.

Im in!  Let's go!

1 hour ago, interloper said:

John Jay is an option, too, but even though he lacks power and is the same age as CarGo, I feel like you could get CarGo on a 1-year with an option or something for less than Jay. 

I'll take Jay over CarGo.  Jay hits for a high average and usually has a decent OBP.  Orioles could bat him lead off.  

2 hours ago, weams said:

Rene. I say they sign two MLB players by this time next week. You?

I think I remember one of the reasons I don't post here:)

People complaining about redundant threads with all the terrible things going on the world. Must be nice if that is your biggest concern right now. Meanwhile my friend's had their father deported last week who had been here for 25 years.

But yeah..darn those redundant threads. They are the worst.

Always respect your Sir, you know that already though.

to answer your question-been out of the loop-I really don't know. My gut tells me there is no way the Orioles are that inept as to not trade Manny. I think people do forget that if the is traded to a team (say, the Diamondbacks-seems like good fit)-and he doesn't sign a LT deal with them, they get compensation from losing him under new CBA...so the Orioles asking for 2 stud pitchers, is not unreasonable AT ALL IMO. 

My gut (and that is all it is) says Manny is still traded and then other pieces sold at deadline once we flounder. Some veterans signed last minute to "appear" competitive but those pieces are only signed in hopes they have good first halves and can be flipped.

It makes sense and goes on the typical Orioles way-try to win, but not too hard. I strongly believe the Orioles just don't want 14 years of malaise again...but they could care less about doing what is necessary as a franchise to win a World Series. 

That's my two cents.

35 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Always respect your Sir, you know that already though.

to answer your question-been out of the loop-I really don't know. My gut tells me there is no way the Orioles are that inept as to not trade Manny. I think people do forget that if the is traded to a team (say, the Diamondbacks-seems like good fit)-and he doesn't sign a LT deal with them, they get compensation from losing him under new CBA...so the Orioles asking for 2 stud pitchers, is not unreasonable AT ALL IMO. 

My gut (and that is all it is) says Manny is still traded and then other pieces sold at deadline once we flounder. Some veterans signed last minute to "appear" competitive but those pieces are only signed in hopes they have good first halves and can be flipped.

It makes sense and goes on the typical Orioles way-try to win, but not too hard. I strongly believe the Orioles just don't want 14 years of malaise again...but they could care less about doing what is necessary as a franchise to win a World Series. 

That's my two cents.

BTW Gamboa is back 

Archived