Dan talking "offers and physicals" with a RF target

interloper

51 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

I just strongly disagree but thats fine.  We had actual Major League Baseball pitchers going into last season even though most were terrible.  Nobody expected Tillman to be so bad.  We have two right now...TWO!!!  And both have injury histories and are not necessarily a short thing.  So yes maybe the 3 we find to fill those last 3 spots aren't worse than Hellickson, Ubaldo etc but the bullpen is going to be gassed by May and there will be many games where we are down a ten spot by the 3rd inning and even the Yankees offense couldn't catch up.  I actually think the offense will be more or less the same, all things considered but we might just set records for runs and home runs allowed.  

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but what makes “actual Major League Pitching” (who you admit, “most were terrible”) better than unproven minor league pitchers who haven’t gotten a chance yet?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

LOL, what's wrong with the system is that it allows players like Chris Davis to make 23 million a year, sucking the life out of a franchise and a fanbase and there is no recourse. Perhaps the players union should be made to maintain disaster insurance that pays out to the ownership when a player so absolutely under-performs his contract. Than perhaps teams would be more willing to take a chance on the latest batch of free agents.

Heaven forbid a player and a team sign a mutually binding agreement.

3 hours ago, theobird said:

Jones current contract has nothing to do with where he bats in the order, if he plays on any given day, or what position he plays. He plays where Buck plays him. 

I have absolutely no problem with Adam playing center field for us in 2018.  Beyond that is negotiable.  But we do not have any even marginally reasonable option whatsoever for CF in 2018 and we really need to create another problem for ourselves by moving someone that is perfectly adequate and replace them with nobody.    Sign somebody for right field?  sure, fine, whatever. Sign Ichiro.. or any of the other names.  Teams that  have 3 zeros in their starting rotation are finishing last no matter if I am playing in right field.  I could not care less if they sign a free agent right fielder.   Inept, this entire management team is inept. 

11 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I have absolutely no problem with Adam playing center field for us in 2018.  Beyond that is negotiable.  But we do not have any even marginally reasonable option whatsoever for CF in 2018 and we really need to create another problem for ourselves by moving someone that is perfectly adequate and replace them with nobody.    Sign somebody for right field?  sure, fine, whatever. Sign Ichiro.. or any of the other names.  Teams that  have 3 zeros in their starting rotation are finishing last no matter if I am playing in right field.  I could not care less if they sign a free agent right fielder.   Inept, this entire management team is inept. 

Hays.

Jones is below average in CF.

44 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but what makes “actual Major League Pitching” (who you admit, “most were terrible”) better than unproven minor league pitchers who haven’t gotten a chance yet?

Usually with experienced MLB pitchers you at least have an expectation of how they will perform, how many innings they can go, what their strengths and weaknesses are, etc.  You have that with minor leaguers but never any certainty that they will adjust , carry over the success they had in MiLB to MLB or if they will never adjust, etc.  Also we likely are going to be asking pitchers to pitch 5-7 innings when they might be best suited to a shorter relief role or long man spot.  Instead we are asking them to give us quality starts while they adjust to major league rosters.   

16 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Tell Buck...  He and I will be writing Adam Jones name in CF for 2018.

So, you’re denying the metrics and what most people acknowledge by watching him? Buck’s opinion aside....I don’t have a reasonable expectation Jones improves on defense at this stage of his career.

Just now, Il BuonO said:

He was injured to start the year?

To tell you the truth I don't remember but I than watch him play well when he is not hurt and I have seem him grind  it out when he is hurt.  The injuries hurt his range and the stats don't have a  note saying he was injured at the time.

Archived