Who’s our GM & Manager Next Year?

Rene88

The Yankees FO decided not to bring Girardi for the 2018 season and declined to offer him a new contract at the end of the 2017 season.   It was widely reported that he was out of tune with the younger players and they couldn't relate to him.  Upper management had asked him to apply a more human touch to his managerial methods.  But Girardi continued to do things his way because he couldn't (or wouldn't) change his ways. On occasion he was critical of players in the press.  

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But doesn't Angelos trust Buck? I thought I read they had a good relationship. So if having Buck as GM means he has the autonomy to make decisions, I guess I'd give it a shot. Plus he would be tasked with building a younger team and most of his veterans would be gone. 

2 minutes ago, SeaBird said:

The Yankees FO decided not to bring Girardi for the 2018 season and declined to offer him a new contract at the end of the 2017 season.   It was widely reported that he was out of tune with the younger players and they couldn't relate to him.  Upper management had asked him to apply a more human touch to his managerial methods.  But Girardi continued to do things his way because he couldn't (or wouldn't) change his ways. On occasion he was critical of players in the press.  

I thought the problem was Cashman wanted a manager that would go along with what the analytics team wanted him to do.

I haven't heard any of the stuff you are mentioning.

2 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

But doesn't Angelos trust Buck? I thought I read they had a good relationship. So if having Buck as GM means he has the autonomy to make decisions, I guess I'd give it a shot. Plus he would be tasked with building a younger team and most of his veterans would be gone. 

By whom?

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

By whom?

Bad phrasing there but assuming they're rebuilding  they'd want a younger roster. And Buck as GM would be leading that. But it is the Orioles so orders could come from the top to be competitive. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought the problem was Cashman wanted a manager that would go along with what the analytics team wanted him to do.

I haven't heard any of the stuff you are mentioning.

Analytics was mentioned but...

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-joe-girardi-manager-1.14632739

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/10/26/joe-girardi-wont-return-yankees/

Can someone tell me what qualifies Showalter to be a GM? I don't think his opinions about eye color and facial hair count. https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/sports/baseball/light-eyed-players-deal-with-glare-and-doubts.html

I think the chances of Joe Girardi managing he Orioles are pretty remote. If he did come, I believe a lot of you would get tired of his smug, it's-tough-to-explain-things-to-people-who-aren't-nearly-as-smart-as-I-am-but-I'll-try-real-hard approach. 

39 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Buck clearly gets emotionally invested in his guys and stands by his veterans. Those qualities (for the most part) make him an excellent manager. They would make him a terrible GM. 

The relationship between a field manager and the players is vastly different from that of the General Manager and the players.  I don't think that Buck would have the same attachment issues as GM that he seems to have now.  I'm not endorsing Buck for GM, but I don't think that that particularly issue is likely to be a problem for him as GM.

1 hour ago, SeaBird said:

This is definitely accurate, yes.

Archived