Will Flaherty be back?

wildcard

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'm not sure we should be paying $2m-$3m for a guy that has tallied a 74 OPS+ over his entire career and has seen it drop every year since 2013:

• 2013: 85
  • 2014: 80
  • 2015: 73
  • 2016: 64
  • 2017: 50

He'll be 31. He's put up a collective 1.7 WAR over his 6 seasons with the Orioles.

Time to move on.

Its never fair to use metrics to a part-time player. IMO

His skill was his glove. I didnt look it up, too lazy, but I wonder if Ryan batted better than Sticks did.

I was not advocating a 3m salary for the guy, 1.8m range that he got last season is fine, IMO

2 minutes ago, NedFromYork said:

I like Tejada, his bat has a pulse.  With Machado's 3B and SS flexibility and Beckham a SS (and maybe even and OF), Tejada is the way I'd go.

His bat has a pulse? It was deader than a door nail in 2016.

I say invite them both to ST and let see who wins, and the loser can goto AAA as depth.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its never fair to use metrics to a part-time player. IMO

His skill was his glove. I didnt look it up, too lazy, but I wonder if Ryan batted better than Sticks did.

I was not advocating a 3m salary for the guy, 1.8m range that he got last season is fine, IMO

2 M would be generous. 

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Nit picky, are we?

So, if the payroll is 145m, 2m is still chump change in the overall scheme of things.

Give him a MIL contract, give him incentives and call it a day.

Yeah, WC has it at at $153m (including $1m for Flaherty) of which I was unaware. No way he should be paid more than last year, though, no matter where payroll is.

10 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yeah, WC has it at at $153m (including $1m for Flaherty) of which I was unaware. No way he should be paid more than last year, though, no matter where payroll is.

I am okay with 1.8, but if it was 1.9 or even 2, I am not going to yell about 200K, its just not that much of a difference.

SMH

I mean, I wish my own salary was that high. :)

4 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Would you be surprised if Buck and DD moved Manny to SS.

From what Roch has posted recently it looks like Manny to SS. That could leave Beckham as a super UT guy who plays somewhere every day.. Flash as a LH bat might be a fit if his arm is ok for 3B.

11 hours ago, weams said:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/01/leftovers-for-breakfast-68.html

Roch mentioned that. And Shortstop still seems to be a must. 

Yet I posted it almost 4 hours before Roch's article. Hmmm..... :noidea:

I really wish Wilkerson hadn't gotten suspended. I would of had him, Tejada, and Sardinias battle it out in the Spring.

If Flash's shoulder isn't doing good, he might be done.

8 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Nit picky, are we?

So, if the payroll is 145m, 2m is still chump change in the overall scheme of things.

Give him a MIL contract, give him incentives and call it a day.

2M is not chump change with a 145M payroll.  If you can get similar production from a 500k player, you save 1.5 mil.  Repeat that for three other bottom-roster spots and you save 6 mil.  That goes a long way towards roster flexibility.

I'm fine with a MIL contract though.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan is working!!!!

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/5818/ryan-flaherty

Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette confirmed that the club has been in touch with Ryan Flaherty about a possible reunion.
Orioles fans, your offseason prayers are answered. Flaherty, 31, was limited to 31 games last season due to a shoulder injury and owns a rough .215/.284/.355 batting line in the majors. Still, the Orioles view his ability to play multiple positions. If there's a reunion, it would likely be on a minor league deal

Archived