O's utility infielder no longer needs to play SS

wildcard

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you bought into the O's explanation.  That's fine.    Meanwhile Beckham has started a total of 5 games at 3rd in his professional career.  Majors and minors.   The logic falls apart right about there.

tin-foil-hat-meme-300x210.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Okay I get what you are saying. Can Tim play an adequate 3rd? I guess I have have to accept what Buck is doing. He has more baseball knowledge in his finger than I have in my body. 

Shame he doesn't know as much as Wildcard.9_9

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We don't know and neither do the O's know if Beckham can be even adequate at 3rd base.   We hope he does.  That is about it.  But the fact remains he has not played 3rd.   So one would have to think he will at least begin the season a below average defender there.

SaltyInnocentBallpython-max-1mb.gif

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We don't know and neither do the O's know if Beckham can be even adequate at 3rd base.   We hope he does.  That is about it.  But the fact remains he has not played 3rd.   So one would have to think he will at least begin the season a below average defender there.

You mean like Manny, when he came up?

38 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Please tell me why they are moving Manny to SS when Manny plays a great 3rd base. This is just a one year deal. I don't see Manny signing a long term deal with the O's. Beckhams natural position is SS. Manny is great at 3rd. Beckham is pretty good at SS. Why the move then? Does Manny and his agent think it will be easier for Manny to get picked up by a team in FA if he plays SS for a season?  Maybe more money can be made?  I Don't know. I am sorry but this move just doesn't make sense to me. 

It would be a no brainer to keep Manny at 3B if Beckham was a stud SS, but he's not. It's an imperfect situation. 

It is possible that SS increases Manny's trade value. That is a good enough reason for me.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Ok, that's fine.  Now Beckham at a position he has only started 5 games in his professional career.

Beckham's only real defensive asset is his range. His arm is strong enough, but his accuracy is kind of the pits. Reaction time I guess we'll find out. 3B sees less balls, but I kind of don't understand how it's less difficult than SS. 

Archived