Mound Visits - Pitch Clock

weams

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are various articles that discuss this.   The average length of a game was about 2:30 in the 60’s.

Without trying to be scientific, I took a look at the 1968 Cardinals, who had the lowest team ERA in the most pitcher-dominant year in my lifetime.  They played 15 games under 2 hours, including one that was only 1:35.   Their median length of game was 2:21.   That’s probably about as short as the average length of game could have been for any team in the last 60 years or more.

Do you know how much shorter that is than today?

42 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I stand corrected. I could have sworn that there were plenty games inside of an hour and-a-half. Sorry about that. Old age, I guess.  :)

I feel certain that games were, on average, much faster than they are today. 

On the order of an hour faster per game ........ I don't know how to check that, so I could be wrong, but that would surprise me. 

o

In Game Three of the 1919 World Series, Dickie Kerr of the White Sox shut out the Reds by a score of 3-0 in 90 minutes.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA191910030.shtml

o

12 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Time between innings was increased by :30 when MLB added another commercial break in the mid ''80s. I remember wondering if the extra time would disrupt the pitchers who had become used to a given rhythm. 

I admit then. I am wrong. Nine minutes a game for unnecessary advertising. It should be addressed. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

I admit then. I am wrong. Nine minutes a game for unnecessary advertising. It should be addressed. 

You were wrong, but also right.   The commercial time was increased, but the time between innings is longer than the commercial time.

• 2 weeks later...

Another reason to like Mancini: 8th quickest adjusted pace between pitches, per this article.   Jon Jay is number 1 — go get him!

Then again, Wade Miley was the third-quickest working pitcher, but somehow always seemed to be reaching 100 pitches in the 5th inning.  

On 1/30/2018 at 11:49 AM, Camden_yardbird said:

Everyone recognizes it's advertising that slows games.  Sure small gains can be made in game by reducing visits, but the broad definition of a visit is overkill.

No one recognizes that that is the reason. Beeg Papi. Yes. Red bull no. 

Archived