Orioles Acquire Catcher

weams

Looking more likely every day that ours is going to be a VERY young pitching staff. Makes a lot of sense to keep the Sisco kid in AAA and have Caleb share time with a guy with more ML experience and 'plus' intangibles. No idea if this guy is that guy, but his slash line won't show it.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Neither of these guys will provide the production that Castillo gave us last year.  So we are still down relative to our last place team last year in this position. 

And signing this guy is like...."Hey, the house is burning down.   Oh, let's rearrange the furniture in the back bedroom."  

Hopefully two of these catchers will have lower CERAs than Castillo.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t rely on a few posters from some fan forum to judge a player.  What if all Orioles’ players were judged on the worst opinion of them here?

In any event, it’s not like anyone’s flipping cartwheels over signing this guy.    If he’s as bad as that Brewer fan says, he’ll be released or sent to the minors.   

Offline Crash2303 Re: andrew susac designated for assignment 

Posted: January 31, 2018, 10:36 AM Post
and Oliver "the survivor" Drake lives another day.

So there is this. 

4 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Susac was a former top 100 prospect after being drafted in 2nd round.  He is a high OBP guy in the minors but has been slowed due to injuries last two years.  If he is healthy he is a decent backup option.

DD targets these types. I actually thought he made sense when I saw he was DFA’d on MLBTR. We needed some depth. This guy has an option too. 

Offline djoctagone Re: Andrew Susac Traded to the Orioles for Cash or PTBNL (Post #21) 

Posted: February 02, 2018, 1:04 PM Post

Roster Guru
superfly said:
Somebody actually wanted Susac? Most surprising move yet.

if they have room on their 40-man roster, he has one minor league option remaining. nice way to have catching depth.

Quote   Reply 
Offline Joey Meyer Bombs Re: Andrew Susac Traded to the Orioles for Cash or PTBNL (Post #21) 

Posted: February 02, 2018, 1:07 PM Post
superfly said:
Somebody actually wanted Susac? Most surprising move yet.

Well he was considered the Brewers' catcher of the future a year ago at this time, and has a top prospect pedigree. We are very quick around here to write off players we don't like as trash. Maybe Susac never amounts to anything at the MLB level, but to imply he has no talent is wrong.

And then there is this terrific tidbit. 

LouisEly Re: Andrew Susac Traded to the Orioles for Cash or PTBNL (Post #21) 

Posted: February 02, 2018, 2:24 PM Post
The Orioles have decided organizationally to not undergo the expense of international scouting. I can't blame them - really risky to give seven figures to 16-year-olds. Seems like many of the big bonus babies (other than the REALLY big bonus babies) never make it, and I'm referring to more than Lara. Looking back at some of the big signings from 7-9 years ago, many of them haven't amounted to anything.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Neither of these guys will provide the production that Castillo gave us last year.  So we are still down relative to our last place team last year in this position. 

And signing this guy is like...."Hey, the house is burning down.   Oh, let's rearrange the furniture in the back bedroom."  

Well I guess the offseason was Giancarlo or bust for you?

8 minutes ago, weams said:

And then there is this terrific tidbit. 

LouisEly Re: Andrew Susac Traded to the Orioles for Cash or PTBNL (Post #21) 

Posted: February 02, 2018, 2:24 PM Post
The Orioles have decided organizationally to not undergo the expense of international scouting. I can't blame them - really risky to give seven figures to 16-year-olds. Seems like many of the big bonus babies (other than the REALLY big bonus babies) never make it, and I'm referring to more than Lara. Looking back at some of the big signings from 7-9 years ago, many of them haven't amounted to anything.

I personally think the O's should internationally scout and sign players - - but I don't think it's a super moronic concept not to get involved with it. If you use the money you'd use in the international market to sign a solid, MLB player - not a terrible idea when you're in win-mode.

Again, I wouldn't do it - but it's not as insanely stupid as some people say.

Archived