Drew Hutchison? Ewww...

Frobby

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, foxfield said:

It is the indecision.  

If we have to lose, in order to win, i can take it.  If we go for it, against all odds, I can get behind it.  If we sacrifice an entire year because we can't decide if we want or can afford to keep:  our GM, manager, best player, best closer, team leader etc.  We just need to pick a direction and go...perhaps this off season really is odd and it somehow still plays into our hand.  I think most of us as fans, are just wanting to see a sign that we are trying to do something.  

Since 2011 I have been very optimistic and honestly have been very pleased.  I have not agreed with every move.  I defended AM back in the day when many couldn't wait for him to be gone.  I have done the same with DD.  I think Buck has been great.  My feeling has been our ownership wants to win but has been largely unable to get out of it's own way.  All of my fellow Redskin fan's know what I am talking about.

Replacing  AM, or DD for that matter won't get us a WS championship until we have a team that is committed from Ownership down to grounds keepers.  That my fellow fans comes from the top.  With ownership.  If you watched Super Bowl LII last night and listened to their players and coaches speak it was universal how clear and focused they were.  They believed in what they are doing and their plan was followed.  I know they just erased a super long championship drought, but they are impressive.  What they have done and what they overcame is inspiring and seems more like a sports movie than a real life event.

I felt this way about the Orioles at the end of 2011.  As the Orioles played and scrapped with the Red Sox and helped eliminate them in one of the great collapses in Baseball history.  Just like that, Andino drove in the winning run and then right up until Mark Trumbo pushed back on that Adam Jones pie this summer, I thought that in spite of the dysfunction, that this group had the final goal in mind. But this group does not have that.  

This group with the ball inside the 5 nearing the end of the first half, would have let the clock run.  With the lead in hand, we would be to affraid to risk having a kick blocked, we would not afford the risk of getting our best players hurt. We would have feared to fail.  In short, we have lacked the courage and institutional agreement to go out and make it happen.  

We are either getting better by moving forward, or we are getting better by moving back.  Standing still paralyzed with indecision is ripping the heart right out of fans.  It's like watching a house burn.  We can't put it out, we can't help get those inside get safely out.  We just have to watch.

The Yankees may be better run, but they are not unbeatable, if we believe that to be so, we sacrifice the opportunity to be bold.  We miss the opportunity to win.  The Philadelphia Eagles didn't wait to try and catch the New England Patriots without Brady...or their genius crew.  They just set out to beat them and then would not accept anything else until it was done.  Congrats Eagles.

Fly Orioles Fly.

I agree with this wholly. This has been the most frustrating off-season I have experienced as a fan.

Another reason why this off season has been so maddening (if you're also a Ravens fan) is that it's coming on the heels of another mediocre year for the Ravens. I usually look forward to all the hot stove action to get my mind off another close but no cigar year by the purple birds.

I know everyone is saying it's been a slow off season all around baseball but here's the thing. I'd venture to say no team in baseball has a greater need for starting pitching than the O's.The mission is pretty straight forward for the front office. Yet, with a week to go before pitchers and catchers report we've done nothing. I assume the issue is money. But, why were we willing to spend 150 mil on a Chris Davis but not willing to spend on quality pitching? Did the money we wasted on Ubaldo scare Angelos away from giving another pitcher a big contract?

1 minute ago, gtman55 said:

Another reason why this off season has been so maddening (if you're also a Ravens fan) is that it's coming on the heels of another mediocre year for the Ravens. I usually look forward to all the hot stove action to get my mind off another close but no cigar year by the purple birds.

I know everyone is saying it's been a slow off season all around baseball but here's the thing. I'd venture to say no team in baseball has a greater need for starting pitching than the O's.The mission is pretty straight forward for the front office. Yet, with a week to go before pitchers and catcher report we've done nothing. I assume the issue is money. But, why were will willing to spend 150 mil on a Chris Davis but not willing to spend on quality pitching? Did the money we wasted on Ubaldo scare Angelos away from giving a pitcher a big contract?

I believe we probably have targeted some of the lesser starters.   Whether it's Cashner, Tillman, Vargas, Lackey, I don't know.   But one or two guys from that list and probably someone else I'm not thinking of.   And no, none of them are thrilling answers to our problem.   But I have a feeling that's what we are looking at.

And NONE of those guys are going to take a deal until the top guys sign.   They'd be potentially selling themselves short if they did.  

So everyone's playing chicken right now.

Yes, we know we overpaid for Chris Davis.    And yes, our unwillingness to go 4 years on a starter after Ubaldo (or before him for that matter) is hampering us.   It's all been said before.   RIght now we are just playing the hand we have, and we are stuck in a waiting game.

We only sign what no one else in MLB wants. All of the other teams have to make their signings before the O's can swoop in and overpay whomever is the last FA standing.

It's a great system as the O's don't need to do any analysis at all, and DD can pretty much take the whole winter off and not be interrupted from his intense scouring of the castoff and minor league markets

On 2/5/2018 at 8:58 PM, foxfield said:

It is the indecision.  

If we have to lose, in order to win, i can take it.  If we go for it, against all odds, I can get behind it.  If we sacrifice an entire year because we can't decide if we want or can afford to keep:  our GM, manager, best player, best closer, team leader etc.  We just need to pick a direction and go...perhaps this off season really is odd and it somehow still plays into our hand.  I think most of us as fans, are just wanting to see a sign that we are trying to do something.  

Since 2011 I have been very optimistic and honestly have been very pleased.  I have not agreed with every move.  I defended AM back in the day when many couldn't wait for him to be gone.  I have done the same with DD.  I think Buck has been great.  My feeling has been our ownership wants to win but has been largely unable to get out of it's own way.  All of my fellow Redskin fan's know what I am talking about.

Replacing  AM, or DD for that matter won't get us a WS championship until we have a team that is committed from Ownership down to grounds keepers.  That my fellow fans comes from the top.  With ownership.  If you watched Super Bowl LII last night and listened to their players and coaches speak it was universal how clear and focused they were.  They believed in what they are doing and their plan was followed.  I know they just erased a super long championship drought, but they are impressive.  What they have done and what they overcame is inspiring and seems more like a sports movie than a real life event.

I felt this way about the Orioles at the end of 2011.  As the Orioles played and scrapped with the Red Sox and helped eliminate them in one of the great collapses in Baseball history.  Just like that, Andino drove in the winning run and then right up until Mark Trumbo pushed back on that Adam Jones pie this summer, I thought that in spite of the dysfunction, that this group had the final goal in mind. But this group does not have that.  

This group with the ball inside the 5 nearing the end of the first half, would have let the clock run.  With the lead in hand, we would be to affraid to risk having a kick blocked, we would not afford the risk of getting our best players hurt. We would have feared to fail.  In short, we have lacked the courage and institutional agreement to go out and make it happen.  

We are either getting better by moving forward, or we are getting better by moving back.  Standing still paralyzed with indecision is ripping the heart right out of fans.  It's like watching a house burn.  We can't put it out, we can't help get those inside get safely out.  We just have to watch.

The Yankees may be better run, but they are not unbeatable, if we believe that to be so, we sacrifice the opportunity to be bold.  We miss the opportunity to win.  The Philadelphia Eagles didn't wait to try and catch the New England Patriots without Brady...or their genius crew.  They just set out to beat them and then would not accept anything else until it was done.  Congrats Eagles.

Fly Orioles, Fly.

o

o

17 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Is Alec Asher and Jayson Aquino still with the organization? I know Aquino was DFAd last year, but was he retained.

I never heard Asher was cut. Are they options for anything?

Aquino will be in camp as a non-roster invitee. Asher is on the 40man.

Hutchison signed a MiLB with the Phillies. I would have loved to have seen the Orioles sign him on a MiLB. Hutchison was looking at a nearly unobstructed path to the rotation in Baltimore, considering the current roster. What the eff, Dook?

Also, I have hated reading "eww" after Hutchison's name, regardless of it being written by the well-loved frobby. I realize there are people who post indefensible assaults calling players "garbage" and other de-humanizing insults, but this still is uncalled for, imo.

3 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Also, I have hated reading "eww" after Hutchison's name, regardless of it being written by the well-loved frobby. I realize there are people who post indefensible assaults calling players "garbage" and other de-humanizing insults, but this still is uncalled for, imo.

Didn’t mean to offend.   I was merely expressing that I didn’t like the idea of Hutchison being a prime solution for our shortage of decent starters.   Frankly, I would have been absolutely fine with signing him to a MiL deal.

Just now, Frobby said:

Didn’t mean to offend.   I was merely expressing that I didn’t like the idea of Hutchison being a prime solution for our shortage of decent starters.   Frankly, I would have been absolutely fine with signing him to a MiL deal.

It's not in the same ballpark as the other stuff. I disliked it. But I wasn't really offended.

I think the team lost a good opportunity with him.

Archived