Orioles Lifers Anonymous

now

Hola (from, at the moment, Mexico)—hola, as in, Hello, Orioles Lifers Anonymous. Let me explain. I totally get all the doom/gloom, impatience and frustration around here. Yet I want to share a minority view, that of the perennial Orioles optimist, born of being a lifetime Orioles fan.

As an aside, many of you will remember me from seven years ago, when I decided to take a break from active posting on this forum, after being a regular, and even writing a weekly column, since practically the beginning of Orioles Hangout. But it had less to do with the Orioles than my own shifting life priorities—a new relationship, a renewed focus on creative writing and publishing. Or maybe thirteen years of losing had finally sunk in. At any rate, poor timing to jump ship, at the beginning of the 2011 season, before the ensuing seven years of mostly winning baseball. Nevertheless, I remained a faithful fan, and regular lurker on the forum… just didn’t want the responsibility of keeping up with columns and posts.

Enough about me. How about dem O’s? ;)

I’ll jump right into the starting rotation fray. I’ll say without apology that I would rather see the 2018 rotation filled out by Cortes, Castro, and Harvey than by another round of expensive retread veteran “innings eaters” of the 5 or 6 ERA variety. I’m neither a professional statistician nor financial wizard, but I follow the logic of getting cheaper production for ages 20-28 than less production at many multiples of the cost for ages 29-37.

As for Duquette/Angelos, I like the apparent reticence to follow the latter course now, but like most of you am disgusted by the perennial trading off of pitching prospects and draft picks for precisely those sort of retreads in the name of “competing now.”

I favor selling high over rewarding past stars with future albatross contracts: an Orioles plague forever (from Scott Erickson and David Segui right down to O’Day and Davis). They always seem to miss the boat on trade value (Jim Johnson, Zach Britton, Machado), with the notable exception of Erik Bedard—the one case we can largely credit for the sudden turnaround of the franchise 2012-16.

In short, I’ve followed this team addictively since before the “Baby Birds” rotation of 1960, and will always root for the young prospects to be given roster spots and playing time over veterans whose best days are but a memory. I don’t buy into predictions and projections as much as potential and the sheer excitement and novelty of seeing what the younger players can bring to the table. Supplement them with sure things--the Frank Robinson, the Roberto Alomar, the Jimmy Key, the Miguel Tejada—as needed. Then let the chips fall where they may.

Thanks for listening, and I hope to find more time to engage with you all again.

21 minutes ago, now said:

So to cut to the chase... how many others on this board would rather see Cortes, Castro, Mesa, Harvey than Middling Free Agents X, Y and Z?

Much rather see real pitchers like Cobb and Lynn than the trash bin pitchers DD likes. 

23 minutes ago, now said:

So to cut to the chase... how many others on this board would rather see Cortes, Castro, Mesa, Harvey than Middling Free Agents X, Y and Z?

What I want is for the O's to pick a direction. 

If they want to make a push for this year, then they need to pony up the money to sign two frontline starting pitchers--pitchers who are as good as or better than Bundy and Gausman (Cobb/Lynn/Darvish/Arietta).  

If they aren't willing to spend what it takes to make this team competitive in 2018, then they need to go all in on rebuilding, which means trading Machado, Jones, and Brach, and at least shopping younger established players like Schoop who have limited years left of team control.  I would also shop Mancini, only because the O's have a lot of good hitters with defensive limitations in their farm system.  I would be content to see Cortes, Castro and Mesa in the opening rotation (Harvey needs more time in the minors IMO), as long as the O's are firmly committed to rebuilding. 

But if they open the season with rule V picks or bargain basement/mediocre free agents in the rotation AND with Machado, Jones and Brach still on the team, then that would mean that they had chosen the muddled middle of hoping to contend without committing sufficient resources, which is unlikely to work out in the short term or the long term.  

Excellent post, 3-R HR!
Have to agree... except I have the following quibbles...
- I really like Mancini's makeup and prefer to keep him.

- I really question Gausman's makeup and prefer to trade him - sooner rather than later.

40 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

What I want is for the O's to pick a direction. 

If they want to make a push for this year, then they need to pony up the money to sign two frontline starting pitchers--pitchers who are as good as or better than Bundy and Gausman (Cobb/Lynn/Darvish/Arietta).  

If they aren't willing to spend what it takes to make this team competitive in 2018, then they need to go all in on rebuilding, which means trading Machado, Jones, and Brach, and at least shopping younger established players like Schoop who have limited years left of team control.  I would also shop Mancini, only because the O's have a lot of good hitters with defensive limitations in their farm system.  I would be content to see Cortes, Castro and Mesa in the opening rotation (Harvey needs more time in the minors IMO), as long as the O's are firmly committed to rebuilding. 

But if they open the season with rule V picks or bargain basement/mediocre free agents in the rotation AND with Machado, Jones and Brach still on the team, then that would mean that they had chosen the muddled middle of hoping to contend without committing sufficient resources, which is unlikely to work out in the short term or the long term.  

This 1,000 times over. 

19 hours ago, now said:

Hola (from, at the moment, Mexico)—hola, as in, Hello, Orioles Lifers Anonymous. Let me explain. I totally get all the doom/gloom, impatience and frustration around here. Yet I want to share a minority view, that of the perennial Orioles optimist, born of being a lifetime Orioles fan.

As an aside, many of you will remember me from seven years ago, when I decided to take a break from active posting on this forum, after being a regular, and even writing a weekly column, since practically the beginning of Orioles Hangout. But it had less to do with the Orioles than my own shifting life priorities—a new relationship, a renewed focus on creative writing and publishing. Or maybe thirteen years of losing had finally sunk in. At any rate, poor timing to jump ship, at the beginning of the 2011 season, before the ensuing seven years of mostly winning baseball. Nevertheless, I remained a faithful fan, and regular lurker on the forum… just didn’t want the responsibility of keeping up with columns and posts.

Enough about me. How about dem O’s? ;)

I’ll jump right into the starting rotation fray. I’ll say without apology that I would rather see the 2018 rotation filled out by Cortes, Castro, and Harvey than by another round of expensive retread veteran “innings eaters” of the 5 or 6 ERA variety. I’m neither a professional statistician nor financial wizard, but I follow the logic of getting cheaper production for ages 20-28 than less production at many multiples of the cost for ages 29-37.

As for Duquette/Angelos, I like the apparent reticence to follow the latter course now, but like most of you am disgusted by the perennial trading off of pitching prospects and draft picks for precisely those sort of retreads in the name of “competing now.”

I favor selling high over rewarding past stars with future albatross contracts: an Orioles plague forever (from Scott Erickson and David Segui right down to O’Day and Davis). They always seem to miss the boat on trade value (Jim Johnson, Zach Britton, Machado), with the notable exception of Erik Bedard—the one case we can largely credit for the sudden turnaround of the franchise 2012-16.

In short, I’ve followed this team addictively since before the “Baby Birds” rotation of 1960, and will always root for the young prospects to be given roster spots and playing time over veterans whose best days are but a memory. I don’t buy into predictions and projections as much as potential and the sheer excitement and novelty of seeing what the younger players can bring to the table. Supplement them with sure things--the Frank Robinson, the Roberto Alomar, the Jimmy Key, the Miguel Tejada—as needed. Then let the chips fall where they may.

Thanks for listening, and I hope to find more time to engage with you all again.

How are the two new books selling?

21 hours ago, TouchemAll said:

Sadly it appears the O's are going to really try and convince us they are all in for 2018 and going for it with a wing and a prayer rotation... xD:$O.o>:( pick one they all fit.

The Plan B for this approach might actually work: if the wing/prayer rotation flops by midseason, then go all in on fire sale at the deadline... and give a good solid look at Harvey, Hays, Santander, Sisco (and whatever "MLB-ready" young talent comes back from trades) for the rest of the season.

Archived