In on Lynn?

Snutchy

Just now, clapdiddy said:

Good point!   

I'm a little concerned that he is a flyball pitcher and his HR% jumped last season.   Maybe his 2nd season back from TJ would be better.  

I mean, I think we're going to have some level of concern for any pitcher the Orioles do sign (if any), just because Lynn is sort of the best that we can expect. 

I get the pitcher free agency is risky, but it's kind of their only choice. I don't know how they can back themselves into this corner and yet balk at going 4 years. Yet here we are.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, interloper said:

I mean, that's basically Ubaldo's contract. For a much steadier pitcher. It's a no brainer, there's plenty of payroll room, and the need is there. Even if the next GM wants to rebuild, he's tradeable at that price, OR you just keep him because what's wrong with a steady veteran pitcher on a rebuilding team? 

I have mentioned this before, but if, indeed, the market is down we could sign him and Cobb. Then, with a "weak" pitching class next year, you could always trade then if need be. Yes, you risk both of them falling apart, but you are not coming close to winning in this division without taking risks.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

They've previously said he's too expensive and I believe he was asking for 4 years. So I don't have too much faith in this beyond "due diligence". 

That said, it obviously makes sense. If there's ever a time to bite the bullet and sign a decent pitcher, it's now while your entire rotation is gonna make like $10 million in total. Like, hey Orioles, it's ok to have ONE "expensive" pitcher. That's not a super risky thing to do. Ubaldo didn't work out, but it also didn't prevent you from throwing nearly $200 million at Davis and Trumbo combined.

Does Lynn cost a pick? If so, no. God no.

8 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

I have mentioned this before, but if, indeed, the market is down we could sign him and Cobb. Then, with a "weak" pitching class next year, you could always trade then if need be. Yes, you risk both of them falling apart, but you are not coming close to winning in this division without taking risks.

Is next year's class weak compared to this year?  Keuchal, Pomeranz, Gonzalez, Corbin, likely Kershaw, and possibly Price.

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

It's musical chairs

Any free agent unsigned when everyone in baseball is done signing FA's loses and has to sign with the O's

We probably won't know 2/5 of our starting rotation until mid March

Funny. You are on a role.

Archived