The Rotation

weams

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Man I miss the unclassified Early Bird.  I used to read it every morning when I had the 2300-0700 shift on the Maritime Watch floor.

The only time I was allowed on an unclassified terminal was when I was declassifying stuff.  IT would have had my hide if I "surfed" on it.

I spent most of my career with no unclass terminal.   Only in the past few years have they been available.   And until about a year ago they were centrally located in the office so that anyone walking by could see you, two of them for an office of 20+.   Now there is one in my 4 person cubicle.    I'm off the clock now anyway, locking up to go home...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Other thing to remember here: Mancini turns 26 in March. He's a below average defensive OF'er. I think people here might be overvaluing Trey Mancini relative to guys like Odorizzi. Teams are going to be asking if 2017 was a fluke season from Mancini...and what his baseline is? Is it the 2.2 WAR guy in 2017....or does he settle in less?

Exactly. Since virtually everybody had his 2.2 WAR season pegged from the beginning of the offseason after 2016 , I am sure they will be right smack on what his future in 2018 will be.  In fact, it is already clear from the majority of comments on this board.  “Trey had a fluke season in 2017, that was his peak...all downhill from here.  Trade him now.” 

I will answer the question “does he settle in less?”  with one of my own..”does he exceed the expectations again of the experts in 2018?”

I say yes and a 3.5 WAR season or higher will be my 2018 prediction. 

10 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Odorizzi is a FA in 2020. Teams would be trading for 2 years of cheap control from an effective pitcher that's been relatively durable and successful in the AL East. Oh, and he's 27.

He's making $4.1m in 2018.

The last 4 years he's averaged 167 IP, 3.81 ERA, 1.215 WHIP and a 4.23 FIP.

He's going to cost more than middling prospects.

That said, 2017 was interesting for Odorizzi. His HR/9 spiked as did his BB/9. 

HR/9 was a terrible 1.9 (up from his career average of 1.1). 

BB/9 was 3.8 (average prior was 2.7).

Actually he will make over 6 million in 2018 (his arb hearing is  next Monday to choose between 6.05 and 6.35 million)  and Sternberg apparently wants to move him for prospects and salary reduction. 

38 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Exactly. Since virtually everybody had his 2.2 WAR season pegged from the beginning of the offseason after 2016 , I am sure they will be right smack on what his future in 2018 will be.  In fact, it is already clear from the majority of comments on this board.  “Trey had a fluke season in 2017, that was his peak...all downhill from here.  Trade him now.” 

I will answer the question “does he settle in less?”  with one of my own..”does he exceed the expectations again of the experts in 2018?”

I say yes and a 3.5 WAR season or higher will be my 2018 prediction. 

I would not say the majority of posters think Mancini was a fluke. I don’t, but I do think his second half (.765 OPS) is closer to what I expect than his first half (.892).    I certainly hope you’re right that he keeps improving, and it’s certainly possible that he will.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I would not say the majority of posters think Mancini was a fluke. I don’t, but I do think his second half (.765 OPS) is closer to what I expect than his first half (.892).    I certainly hope you’re right that he keeps improving, and it’s certainly possible that he will.   

He’s definitely a guy who’d benefit greatly from increasing his launch angle. (with the obvious caveat of being able to do it without ruining his swing).

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I thought it was interesting the difference in his numbers when he played first base or DH vs OF.  

As an OF: 350 PA, 10HR, 44 RBI, .271/.327/.435, .761 OPS

As a 1B/DH: 230 PA, 10 HR, 32 RBI, .313/.357/.531, .888 OPS

Basically, they need to unload Trumbo to free up more opportunties at 1B/DH to get the most out of Mancini.

Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said his club will have representation at Tim Lincecum's showcase on Thursday.
Lincecum is scheduled to throw for scouts and front office members of interested teams this Thursday at Driveline Baseball Research Lab, just outside of Seattle. Word is the Giants, Yankees, Brewers, Padres, and Twins will also be in attendance. There are probably some others as well. Lincecum didn't pitch anywhere professionally in 2017 and registered a 9.16 ERA over nine starts with the Angels in 2016, but the 33-year-old right-hander has reportedly looked quite impressive in recent private workouts

21 minutes ago, murph said:

Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said his club will have representation at Tim Lincecum's showcase on Thursday.
Lincecum is scheduled to throw for scouts and front office members of interested teams this Thursday at Driveline Baseball Research Lab, just outside of Seattle. Word is the Giants, Yankees, Brewers, Padres, and Twins will also be in attendance. There are probably some others as well. Lincecum didn't pitch anywhere professionally in 2017 and registered a 9.16 ERA over nine starts with the Angels in 2016, but the 33-year-old right-hander has reportedly looked quite impressive in recent private workouts

If Lincecum only gets one offer I like the O's chances.

Archived