TT: Could the Orioles be Prepping to be Sold?

Tony-OH

20 hours ago, weams said:

Not the slightest of one. And even if his health is solid, at 88 I'd question his faculties to properly oversee the business of the Orioles. Even if he is in tune with the current methods that other clubs use. 

It just depends on the person.   My dad will be 90 in May.   I guarantee you he has the mental faculties that would be required to make ownership-level decisions for a Major League Baseball team.    Not every person his age does, but I don’t like making assumptions about people because of their age.   

But this reminds me of a story.    The day the Lerners bought the Nats, I took my dad to a Nats game.   We were sitting in the third row, and suddenly the Lerners arrive with their entourage and occupy the full two rows in front of us.     Ted Lerner is there, along with his son Mark and others, and of course they’re all in a giddy mood.    I turn to my dad and say, “Dad, how come you never bought me a baseball team?”

So yeah, my dad had/has the faculties.    Just not the money.    And by the way, Ted Lerner is 93 and seems to run his baseball team just fine.     

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I doubt very much that Stan is throwing something out there as a hunch.

I believe it is more than a hunch.  It looks like steps that could/would be taken IF an owner was looking to sell.  I first posted this idea in December based on trying to look logically at all of the factors that are surrounding the Orioles and trying to follow a plan....

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30536-we-do-not-have-a-plan/&tab=comments#comment-2230158

I think the idea of the O's being prepared for sale makes sense...

Lots of freedom with front office

Clearing of roster space

If the O's do not trade em, they have some young talent.

It would still make sense to extend Schoop now...but now this....

IF a new owner could be in place by seasons end, they could also...if so desired...bid on our own FA.

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

I believe it is more than a hunch.  It looks like steps that could/would be taken IF an owner was looking to sell.  I first posted this idea in December based on trying to look logically at all of the factors that are surrounding the Orioles and trying to follow a plan....

.  .  .

I think it's a mistake to look at what this team is and is not doing and then draw inferences based on what would motivate a rational person to actin those ways. 

On the age thing, it may be just fine for an 88-year-old or a 95-year-old man own a major league team. But my observations of the aging process make me believe it's a real bad idea to have an 88-year-old guy own and call the shots for a team. It's very likely his mental faculties and judgment have been impaired, or if not will soon be impaired, and it may be (or already is) difficult to convince him of that and to let go of the reins. When that guy has spent decades believing he's the smartest owner in the game, that probably makes the situation even more difficult.

On the other hand, is the negative impact of Peter Angelos on this franchise worse when he's 88 than it was when he was 78 or 68? Beats me. 

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

On the other hand, is the negative impact of Peter Angelos on this franchise worse when he's 88 than it was when he was 78 or 68? Beats me. 

Hard to beat how bad he was in the day, when he chased Davy out of town, and then broke his promise to Moose and a ton of bad decisions, until Andy came to town, and then Buck and DD.

49 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Hard to beat how bad he was in the day, when he chased Davy out of town, and then broke his promise to Moose and a ton of bad decisions, until Andy came to town, and then Buck and DD.

I agree it would be hard to beat, but you shouldn't (IMO) underestimate the man's ability to harm his own team. 

Just now, spiritof66 said:

I agree it would be hard to beat, but you shouldn't (IMO) underestimate the man's ability to harm his own team. 

It all depends on what happens with Buck & DD, and if they are replaced, then we will know how badly they have hurt or helped the team.

I am not buying any of the rumors that the team is getting gutted ready for ownership sale, no matter what Stan the fan says. I think most of that is just wishful wanting on poster's wants.

33 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I'm a little confused as to why if Peter's health was failing that the team wouldn't just pass on to his son.

It's not like John Angelos has shown a lack of interest in the team.........

The problem that comes up in these situations is that (a) the aging owner of a business is unwilling to acknowledge that he should pass the torch to his successors (children included), sometimes because the owner doesn't think any successor can be as capable as he is, and (b) those successors are unable to recognize (or recognize sufficiently) that the owner should relinquish to them the authority he still has as owner,  are unwilling to communicate that to the owner, and/or are unable to convince the owner that the time has come to step back.

I have no idea whether that is going on here, but it's a possibility.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

The problem that comes up in these situations is that (a) the aging owner of a business is unwilling to acknowledge that he should pass the torch to his successors (children included), sometimes because the owner doesn't think any successor can be as capable as he is, and (b) those successors are unable to recognize (or recognize sufficiently) that the owner should relinquish to them the authority he still has as owner,  are unwilling to communicate that to the owner, and/or are unable to convince the owner that the time has come to step back.

I have no idea whether that is going on here, but it's a possibility.

43 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I'm a little confused as to why if Peter's health was failing that the team wouldn't just pass on to his son.

I thought we was seeing more of the one Angelos son in the public eye as spokesman for the ownership?

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

Just based on how involved John is with the team, seems like he'd like to own the team. I really think it just comes down to whether they can afford the inheritance tax. 

5 hours ago, theocean said:

Just based on how involved John is with the team, seems like he'd like to own the team. I really think it just comes down to whether they can afford the inheritance tax. 

I thought I’d read a response by weams that MLB has to approve any change in ownership. Therefore, even if the old man dies it’s not necessarily a slam dunk that his sons take over.

Or, this is quite possibly wishful thinking on my part. ?

6 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I thought I’d read a response by weams that MLB has to approve any change in ownership. Therefore, even if the old man dies it’s not necessarily a slam dunk that his sons take over.

Or, this is quite possibly wishful thinking on my part. ?

If one or both of them inherited the team, the transfer would need the approval of half of MLB club owners. (It's not clear to me whether the inheritors would have a vote.)

From  Article V, Section 2 to of the MLB Constitution: 

(2)  The vote of three-fourths of the Major League Clubs shall be required for the approval of any of the following

.  .  . 

(b) The sale or transfer of a control interest in any Club; provided, however, that a majority vote of all Major League Clubs shall be sufficient to approve any such sale or transfer occurring upon the death of an owner to a spouse or one or more lineal descendants. For purposes hereof, the term "control" shall mean the possession by the transferee, directly or indirectly, of the power or authority to influence substantially the management policies of the Club. A sale or transfer of a non-control interest in any Club shall require only the approval of the Commissioner;

I have said before that if Peter Angelos leaves his interest in the team to his sons,  a number of owners might not approve their taking over, unless there were substantial investment by others, on the ground that they would have insufficient financial resources..That's in addition to those who would not approve out of a desire to get the Angelos family out of MLB. 

Archived