Camp Jobless

weams

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure the reason the league isn't opening it up is it is a publicity stunt.  There are no real MLB players there.  Just a bunch of guys no one wants. If they open camp up and show their best player there is Nolan Reimold the media and fans realize what a joke it is.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many of these guys are fringe types that have trouble finding work during a regular offseason?  Anyone of actual note there?

Tyler Clippard, Saltalamachia, De Aza, Gorzelanny, Chris Johnson.

One of the points in the article was that these types of guys would get minor league deals with ST invites.  They're not getting those now.  For example, one could make a case that Chris Johnson is a better fit for the Orioles than Tejada or Vielma.  But they won't give him a ST invite?

Hell, despite being out of baseball in 2017 Gorzelanny could be our number 3 starter.

39 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Tyler Clippard, Saltalamachia, De Aza, Gorzelanny, Chris Johnson.

One of the points in the article was that these types of guys would get minor league deals with ST invites.  They're not getting those now.  For example, one could make a case that Chris Johnson is a better fit for the Orioles than Tejada or Vielma.  But they won't give him a ST invite?

Hell, despite being out of baseball in 2017 Gorzelanny could be our number 3 starter.

Like I said a publicity stunt. Those guys you are mentioning are guys who's careers are over.  Gorzelanny hasn't' started since 2013.  Chris Johnson hasn't had positive WAR since 2013.  These guys are done that is why they aren't getting minor league deals.  

I am unsure why there is all this vitriol directed at players trying to make their dream come true.  There is zero reason for this training camp to be like others where players are under contract.  If teams have interest, then normal protocol is that they are not invited unless it is an arranged showcase.

It is as if everyone collectively forgot how these things are done and why.

More so, there seems to be a whole lot of writers carrying water for front offices and a lot of fan buy in on these transparently biased notions.

12 minutes ago, cimota said:

Like I said a publicity stunt. Those guys you are mentioning are guys who's careers are over.  Gorzelanny hasn't' started since 2013.  Chris Johnson hasn't had positive WAR since 2013.  These guys are done that is why they aren't getting minor league deals.  

I don't see why this is a "publicity stunt".  What is being gained in public relations by doing this?  A lot of these guys are trying to hang on, many won't.   Clippard's career shouldn't be over.  Yes, he was below average for the year, but had a really good, though brief, stint in Chicago.  If we had him on a minor league deal, Buck would be more okay with trading Brach for a starter.

And again, about Johnson.  Say Schoop gets hurt and is out for two months, would you rather Johnson get those ABs or Vielma?

4 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I don't see why this is a "publicity stunt".  What is being gained in public relations by doing this?  A lot of these guys are trying to hang on, many won't.   Clippard's career shouldn't be over.  Yes, he was below average for the year, but had a really good, though brief, stint in Chicago.  If we had him on a minor league deal, Buck would be more okay with trading Brach for a starter.

And again, about Johnson.  Say Schoop gets hurt and is out for two months, would you rather Johnson get those ABs or Vielma?

It is a publicity stunt to state there is collusion and they have to open their own camps.  Yet they keep it private so you can't see that the players are journeymen who's career is over.  There is zero reason for these guys not to be invited to team's camps if teams thought they had an value to them at all.  They would only be signed to minor league deals.

Vielma is supposed to be above average defensively and Johnson is poor defensively and poor offensively.  The guy choose the guy who can field and can't hit over the guy can't field and can't hit.  Not sure what the issue is and certainly not a plot of MLB teams. 

Just now, cimota said:

It is a publicity stunt to state there is collusion and they have to open their own camps.  Yet they keep it private so you can't see that the players are journeymen who's career is over.  There is zero reason for these guys not to be invited to team's camps if teams thought they had an value to them at all.  They would only be signed to minor league deals.

Vielma is supposed to be above average defensively and Johnson is poor defensively and poor offensively.  The guy choose the guy who can field and can't hit over the guy can't field and can't hit.  Not sure what the issue is and certainly not a plot of MLB teams. 

Um, there are a ton of free agents without homes yet.  The whole market is still locked. The only pace where things are moving freely are MiL FA in lower minors.  If you have any MLB aspirations, teams are still waiting out up top and you want to have a good idea what your opportunities are before a club locks themselves into a situation where your opportunity disappears.

The camps are private because guys still want to work out with other guys and their training partners have departed to MLB camps.

I would also say that the term "publicity stunt" is being too broadly applied.  We certainly are seeing a rather unique offseason where money is being throttled back.  Collusion is a common word and one that historically ownership has pressed upon players.  When you experience something so strange as this market, it is not all that outlandish to make a claim for which there is historical precedence.

I have to agree that I don’t see why the slow market for free agents would affect guys who would only be signing MiL contracts with invites anyway.     I’m still not going to call this a “publicity stunt.”   Individual players can decide for themselves whether going to this camp is beneficial for them.   My guess is that the potentially higher-priced ones wouldn’t want to risk an injury.    

1 hour ago, cimota said:

Kind of a weird take. I mean who does this "publicity stunt" hurt, exactly? Seems like a harmless show of solidarity, plus a convenient place to get your work in. 

Archived